Hung

'Tucson Is the Gateway to Dick' or 'This Is Not Sexy'

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Jul 11, 2010 on HBO

• *** Spoiler-free *** Positive vision, inspiring protagonist, interesting secondary characters, intriguing story but short format to Traci of Darkness

I had a day nightmare. I imagined that Hung had become as clueless as Californication, that Ray was as selfish and jerky as Hank. But now I'm relieved because Just the Tip was really the pilot hiding the iceberg. This season is going to be refreshing and smarter than the first one !

Indeed I already pointed out that the sex scenes were pointless at times but here the story focused more on the light side of the show, its positive vision. Ray has almost lost everything but he's not ready to give up. He's a peaceful fighter ! His attitude was even more inspiring than in the previous episode and should definitely represent the role model you need to be a better man, specially because he's only human and makes mistakes. And I hope women will see in him an insightful subject to better comprehend men. Yes, because we're complex creatures. I specially enjoyed what he told Lenore about his double life and the controversial decision he had to make at the end. Even the whole Tanya lost in Basketland arc was interesting because the matter what you think of her, we have a lot to learn from her. What she said to the client was just miserable and reveals how much some people are desperate on our beautiful planet. They feel so empty inside that the only solution they find is to fill themselves with material or libidinal assets. But it doesn't make their shell fuller, the contrary. It's not about judging them, it's about questioning the way our society works. Jessica was also featured and should grow on you even more. I'm really into her new role and find her story quite intriguing. Her relationship with her ex-husband is getting more and more exciting. I also wonder about their children because an abyss seperates her from them.

So if you think Hung is all about character development and embracing happiness after the storm then I strongly recommend you to check it out ! Forget the superficial sex scenes and neverending vicious circles. The show is a meaningful rollercoaster so you better put on your seat belt and enjoy the twisted ride ! Oh Ray ! No Ray ! Oh no more Ray !
  • Pimp vs. Pimp, Round One!

Finally the showdown between Tanya and Lenore begins for the fight over Ray's clientelle. Tanya may be scrawny and awkward but man she is persistent and the way she hounded Frances into taking her Happiness Consultants card actually seduced me to the idea too. But the most triumphant part of this episode saw the end of Ray's should-i-or-should-i-not be a ho and stand up for my morals and of course he chose the better paying route with a farewell to Claire (prego). Also he took the gift from his neighbor's wife who he's doing. One of the biggest problems with Hung has been Ray getting in his own way and hopefully Tucson is the Gateway to Dick as well as much more clients and a battle royale between Lenore and Tanya, let the claws come out ladies.