I am Weasel

I, Architect

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Dec 16, 1997 on Cartoon Network

• What happens when Weasel and Baboon get their brains replaced with each other?

Weasel once again is a hero of the city, while Baboon is only a window washer, on top of a sky scraper. However, he falls on Weasel's head, and they both crack they heads, and their brains pop out!

At the hospital, two brain surgeons try to figure out where to put which brain. Of course, the bigger one goes into the bigger body, Baboon's. This couldn't be farther from the truth, because as we all know, Weasel's brain is larger than Baboon's.

What follows is a series of unfortunate but hilarious moments with Weasel having Baboon's brain still being considered a hero and a genius, and Baboon having Weasel's brain, trying to make a living. At the end, Baboon/Weasel is elected the king of New York, and Weasel/Baboon is forced retired. A great episode, with absolutely no continuity towards the next episodes, but a fun episode never the less.
  • Makes a strong point about dealing with life - and funny to boot

After Weasel and Baboon's brains are switched, Baboon (as Weasel) finds himself fêted by the townspeople, and Weasel is the lowest man on the totem pole.
    Weasel (as Baboon) is unable to get work he is uniquely suited for - because everyone perceives him as Baboon. With loss of status, girlfriend, accolades, house, body, everything - he is forced to take a job as a men's room attendant. At this low point, he does not exhibit resentfulness, anger, or spite. He does not take out frustration on the men using the toilets or on his boss. He simply accepts that, for the moment, a men's room attendant is his position and he does his very best in that position. Everyone is served with courtesy and concern to their needs. He is neatly dressed, well-groomed, and punctual. He does not exhibit the "I deserve more!" attitude, although he would be entitled to it.

Naturally, his superior service is noted by his bosses, and he is soon promoted (as Baboon) back into his high-status architect position, ready as ever to clean up I.R.'s messes.

This was an amazing life lesson to be found in a cartoon designed as TV junk food. It was I.M.'s classiness under extreme duress that propelled him back to the place he rightfully deserved - not his worthiness.
    There are so many brilliant young people out there who need to absorb this wisdom. Your deportment counts for everything when people do not know who you really are. They do not know what you are capable of, and just telling them "I am smart and talented!" doesn't cut it. They don't care if you are or not, because there are thousands more just like you. What set I.M. apart was that determination to do the very best that he could, even in his low point. He provides excellent service, and that is what gets noticed.

And, since it is part of a story, it makes much more sense to me than the trite "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade." There are several intelligent people who would rather starve than do work that is too lowly for them, and that is a shame. Of course it is too lowly, but in many cases it would be best to put your pride aside, grit your teeth, do the dirty work and smile as you do it. While there is no guarantee that you will be promoted to stardom in 11 minutes, people definitely notice superior service. As education has become more equal, just having a degree doesn't say much - you need to stand out from the crowd, and having great customer service skills in ANY position gives you that edge.