I Dream of Jeannie Forums

NBC (ended 1970)

A Question.

gideonbernstein

[1]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 43
    There was an episode where Tony discovers that a genie loses her powers when she marries a mortal. If this is so, why didn't Jeannie lose her powers when she did marry Tony?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Random862

[2]Dec 24, 2005
    • level: 7
    She probably had Hodgie's blessing. She was his favourite Jeannie

Sargebri

[3]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 14
    Its an easy question to answer. Its probably a writing inconsistancy.

Random862

[4]Jan 14, 2006
    • level: 7
    I like to create my own reasons for "writing inconsistencies". I fill in my own blanks within the story to fill in the blanks. hehe

MultiMedea

[5]Jan 14, 2006
    • level: 39
    I thought that was a Bewitched plot?

peti_minnen

[6]Jan 16, 2006
    • level: 25
    it might be a universal rule

outoffog

[7]Mar 28, 2006
    • level: 16
    The writing on "I DREAM OF JEANNIE" WAS inconsistent at times, due to Sidney Sheldon eventually turning over most of the scripting chores to James Henerson by the fall of 1968.
    Henerson was the second most prolific writer on the series after Sheldon, and for some reason, did not adhere (or merely ignored) the situations created in the early seasons-
    Jeannie being unable to be photographed, the possibililty of losing her powers if married, and so on. In fact, Henerson wrote the episode that introduced and established the "evil sister" in September 1967 (even though Jeannie referred to her "baby sister" in Sheldon's "My Master The Rainmaker" the season before). He also had a tendency towards creating slapstick situations, which caused the show to appear as more of a "live-action cartoon" during its last three seasons.

SupermanNYC

[8]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 45
    outoffog wrote:
    The writing on "I DREAM OF JEANNIE" WAS inconsistent at times, due to Sidney Sheldon eventually turning over most of the scripting chores to James Henerson by the fall of 1968.
    Henerson was the second most prolific writer on the series after Sheldon, and for some reason, did not adhere (or merely ignored) the situations created in the early seasons-
    Jeannie being unable to be photographed, the possibililty of losing her powers if married, and so on. In fact, Henerson wrote the episode that introduced and established the "evil sister" in September 1967 (even though Jeannie referred to her "baby sister" in Sheldon's "My Master The Rainmaker" the season before). He also had a tendency towards creating slapstick situations, which caused the show to appear as more of a "live-action cartoon" during its last three seasons.
    thanks for the info.

Galmgalm

[9]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 10

How many people watch sitcoms just to relax?

And how many think of it really?

sometimes the writers do not care about consistence when they track another good plot, or to the minority of "little-know-it-all" saying: The story line in episdoe 3 of season 5 doesn't fit with a particular scene in episode 5 of season 3!

chelsea_2010

[10]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 12
    I don't know why, but I'm glad she still has magical powers because that is what made the show so good.

J_critic

[11]Oct 10, 2006
    • level: 14
    chelsea_2010 wrote:
    I don't know why, but I'm glad she still has magical powers because that is what made the show so good.

dido!

TVLANDFAN08

[12]Jan 16, 2007
    • level: 2

You know this was one thing and probably one of the only things that I have wondered about myself.....

I kind of wish that Jeannie would have turned mortal and lost her powers after they got married because that would be neat to see Jeannie as an average house wife. I have seen that episode which I believe is in season 2 where Jeannie and Tony almost get married and Tony begin to get exited because Jeannie wouldn't cause trouble anymore after she loses her powers but then he changes his mind after he finds out that there kids can have the power.

outoffog

[13]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 16
    There are two other episodes where Jeannie "tries" life as a mortal, "TVLANDFAN'- in the third season episode, "My Turned-On Master", she "gives" her magic to "Master" for a day. Without her powers, she's a "klutz". And much later that very season, in "Divorce- Jeannie Style", she foregos her powers for 24 hours to see if "Master" will pay as much attention to her as his sudden infatuation with Mrs. Bellows' cooking. Too bad she discovers Jeannie with her magic "down"...and STILL unable to function "normally" without them!

bblakenoel

[14]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 1

Jeannie 16mm

Does anyone know where to get any ORIGINAL NETWORK (NBC) 16mm prints of I Dream of Jeannie episodes?

Much thanks!

B.

KaylaraAshlee

[15]Dec 8, 2007
    • level: 2
    Well Sidney Sheldon wrote the scripts for seasns 2-3 and then he gave the job to various people and it's a long story. If you have season 1 of I dream of Jeannie watch the commentary and special features =]