I Dream of Jeannie

The Biggest Star in Hollywood

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 24, 1969 on NBC

• "Sock it to me?" Well, yes they did... Maybe call it "Suck it to me" because it tarnishes what are two very entertaining shows in their own merits... but not mixed as a cheesy crossover sweeps week escapade!

1.5
    Love Jeannie? Love Laugh-In? If so, don't think this episode is the best of both worlds you'd been hoping for.

Like Davy Jones on "The Brady Bunch" or the S-word in "South Park", it is this Jeannie episode that has the Laugh-In crew making token appearances.

Granted, this was made during Laugh-In's best season (season 2), but it's so unfunny it's indescribable.

Indeed, the "Laugh-In" crew are seeing Jeannie solely as a mirror reflection that gets their attention. While season 4 has done a few mirror jokes (the bit, from a different episode, where Major Nelson is seen by Dr Bellows to be kissing his own reflection takes the cake), it stretches credibility beyond belief they'd find her to be a funny addition for their show. Yes, "Jeannie" requires suspending disbelief, but even then the show never got this farcical.

Ironic. I bought the season 4 set specifically for this episode and, of every episode I've watched so far, this one is the weakest by far. Again, I love BOTH series very much so I don't mean to insult anyone who worked on these two shows. But when mushed into one "very special epsiode", it feels like a pandering, unfunny self-serving party that forgot to invite us along.