I Dream of Jeannie

The Yacht Murder Case

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 23, 1965 on NBC

• Lots of life and funny, the early episodes of the series are often pretty good.

7.7
    Tony is implicated in apparently pushing Jeannie overboard.

The first season of "I Dream of Jeannie" is actually very under-rated, there are lots of episodes without the "Dr. Bellows is going insane" theme, many with clever and funny plots, lots of military details, and a lot of pretty fresh and lively romance.

This is one of them, the story is fairly novel, a powerful civilian and his amorous duaghter want to lure Tony away from NASA and into the family business, and Jeannie uses her powers to seemingly make the situation "go away" - much to Tony's detriment. The situations aboard the yacht have some sexual tension, there is good back-and-forth, and the set-ups have some maturity. The black-and-white episodes also have the most charming smoke effects for Jeannie, in this case leading to one of the more hilarious scenarios of the series - Tony suctioning up Jeannie with his vacuum cleaner.

I'd recommend the first twenty or so installments of this series to all those who think it settled into formula and was uninteresting. Of course, it may be that the best storylines were used up early.