I Love Lucy

Breaking the Lease

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 11, 1952 on CBS

• Time to play Friendly Feud!

This episode opens with the four friends (do I really need to explain that I'm talking about Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel?) sitting around a piano and singing. All of them are laughing and having a good time. Then they begin complimenting each other. It would be a very nice scene, but anyone who knows anything about television knows that scenes like this are always followed by a big fight. And the Ricardos and Mertzes are about to have a pretty big one. No ears get bitten off or anything, but still....

Lucy mentions as they sing that it is nearly two in the morning and that they are probably bothering their neighbors but Fred and Ethel have no problem with this. Then they leave, and Ricky and Lucy resume singing. Pretty soon they get a phone call from their friends who haven't been gone for a full two minutes at this point. Somehow, they've gotten into their pajamas and are now angry about the noise. Things get worse when Lucy and Ricky fight about whether or not to leave the bedroom window open. Soon, the noise gets bad enough that the Mertzes and the Ricardos begin to argue seriously about it. This ends with Ricky and Lucy planning to move out. This is fine with Fred and Ethel....so long as they pay out their lease. Ricky and Lucy have no intention of doing so....so they'll have to break it somehow!

If anyone is crazy enough to find a way out of their lease, it's that red-head. With her on his side, there's no way Ricky can lose! This is another good early episode of "I Love Lucy." The chemistry between the actors (including Vivian Vance and William Frawley who detested on another) is developing nicely and the story is funny and engaging even though we all know the Ricardos and the Mertzes will be friends again by the time the episode is over.....or do we? I guess you're going to have to check it out for yourself. Who knows? Maybe Fred an Ethel never appear again after this episode. And don't just check the episode guide to see if they are in the next one, mister! I'm on to your tricks.