I Love Lucy Forums

CBS (ended 1957)

DVDs

dramafreezone

[1]Jun 28, 2006
    • level: 16
    I love this show and was glad to finally complete my DVD collection.  I guess my only complaint is that the extras on these DVD's seem to be about Jess Oppenheimer and not enough about the actual show or stars.  There is so much information and trivia known to Lucy buffs that is NOT included anywhere in this collection, which is a sad point.  Oppenheimer gets, or rather claims, full credit for the success of I Love Lucy and never is mentioned about what Desi Arnaz did for television on the whole or Lucy's unmatched brilliance.  I didn't get anything new from these 'extras' except sort of nauseated with the whole Oppenheimer ego.  Could've left them completely out and charged less for the DVDs and I would've been much happier.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Carolee99

[2]Jun 28, 2006
    • level: 50
    While I do agree with you in some parts you have to remember that the DVDs were worked on by Opennheimer's son. Also you have to remember that I don't think the Arnaz family had any involvement in them at all. I like the extras on the DVDs and wish that other programs had the same quality of extras.

laurameyer

[3]Jul 5, 2006
    • level: 58

dramafreezone wrote:
    I love this show and was glad to finally complete my DVD collection.  I guess my only complaint is that the extras on these DVD's seem to be about Jess Oppenheimer and not enough about the actual show or stars.  There is so much information and trivia known to Lucy buffs that is NOT included anywhere in this collection, which is a sad point.  Oppenheimer gets, or rather claims, full credit for the success of I Love Lucy and never is mentioned about what Desi Arnaz did for television on the whole or Lucy's unmatched brilliance.  I didn't get anything new from these 'extras' except sort of nauseated with the whole Oppenheimer ego.  Could've left them completely out and charged less for the DVDs and I would've been much happier.

There are books books Lucy and Desi if you wish to learn more.

Carolee99

[4]Jul 6, 2006
    • level: 50
    laurameyer wrote:

dramafreezone wrote:

There are books books Lucy and Desi if you wish to learn more.

Believe me there are plenty of books that you can read. I own pretty much every Lucy/Desi book out there. No matter what books I read I always learn something new about them. Knock yourself out in your quest for learning.

dramafreezone

[5]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 16
    Yes, I realize that the DVD's were in the hands of Jess Oppenheimer's son, so I guess it's the reason for the Oppenheimer tribute as opposed to Ball & Arnaz.  I guess my point was that maybe he should have done his homework while trying to make some extra bucks off his father's name as well as those of Lucille and Desi.  Die-hard fans are the majority of the consumers here and should have had been offered some new insights and impressions of the show that weren't so detached from the actual magic of Lucille and ingenuity of Arnaz.  i.e. Oppenheimer should've thrown 'the dogs' a bone.