I Love Lucy Forums

CBS (ended 1957)

Lucy and the ads

awerlwas

[1]Nov 24, 2005
    • level: 36
    One of the sponsors of "I Love Lucy" was a cigarette maker, Phillip Morris. Their promised to their customers was "Smoke for pleasure today. No cigarette hangover tomorrow!" These sponsorship meant added scenes of Lucy and Desi smoking in the program's intro and the "Call for Phillip Moooriiiiuuss" kid in commercial transitions. What do you think of this part of television past seen on this wonderful show?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crazyrhythm

[2]Nov 25, 2005
    • level: 52
    That's just the way things were back then. Hell, even Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble did a commercial for Winstons.

ClevelandRocker

[3]Nov 27, 2005
    • level: 25
    Yeah, back then, it was Smoke Cigarettes - doctors recommend it!

ClevelandRocker

[4]Nov 27, 2005
    • level: 25

awerlwas

[5]Dec 3, 2005
    • level: 36
    Topper had Camels cigarettes and said how Camels were sent to the united states service men.

port5170

[6]Dec 20, 2005
    • level: 12
    no one thought much of smoking in the 50's it was everywhere seems like the 70's were when ad restrictions came around

missingky

[7]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 1
    When I was young I did not pay much attention to the smoking but watching with my grand-daughter....well that's another story. She is the one who has pointed out how much the characters are lighting up. She is very aware of the dangers of smoking.

Question:
    Did Ethel smoke as much as Lucy?

Carolee99

[8]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 50
    No, Ethel did not smoke as much as Lucy. In fact there were only a few times on the show when Ethel actually did light up. Lucie Arnaz said one time on TV that one of the few things that she would change about I Love Lucy is to erase all the cigarettes from the show.

port5170

[9]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 12
    since her father died of lung cancer I can see why.. but it was still PC back then.. I guess you have to explain that to kids.. I am one of two of three of me and my Husbands friends that do not smoke.. however all my close reletives on my side don't only a few 2nd cousins.. all my husbands family does, but overall in most kids lives they know smokers

dramafreezone

[10]May 22, 2006
    • level: 16

Yes cigarette smoking is bad for your health, but so is alcohol and there is no ban on advertising for booze on television, and I've never heard of smokers anonymous or people getting killed by smoking drivers.  Can I sue the Miller Beer Corporation for my liver going bad like I can sue Marlboro for having lung cancer?  Hmmmm.  Besides we all live with cancer cells in our bodies, we just never know what it going to activate them, even getting hit hard can cause cancer, but Boxing is still an Olympic sport.

But I digress.  Smoking was hep, mod, vogue...plus it was and still is big money.  In a way we took a giant step backwards since the days of Lucy & Ricky telling us how cool it was too smoke.  We now have that censorship in our advertising, but every show on television shows people having indescriminate sex, murders, rapes, and Dennis Franz' butt should've never been made public. 

They were Lucy and Ricky, they could've sold doggy dodo and someone somewhere would've bought it....and it's still the same today, the right advertising campaign can sell anything.

nestlebear82

[11]Aug 6, 2006
    • level: 4

What can you say...that is just the way of the times back then. I mean...smoking was just something people did back before anyone knew how bad they really were for you.