I Love Lucy

Lucy is Enceinte

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 08, 1952 on CBS

• Lucy is pregnant,but is having trouble telling Ricky.Every time she starts,something interrupts her.Finally she goes to the nightclub and finds a way to let him know.

One of the things I like about I Love Lucy is that it wasnt always about Lucys wacky schemes.Sometimes there were episodes that showed some depth to Lucys character,episodes that you had real empathy for her.This episode is probaly the best example of that.When Lucy keeps trying to tell Ricky her great news and something always interrupts them,the frustration is palpable and real.And of course,when she does find a way to tell him,it is a very emotional moment,especially when you know that Lucille Ball really was pregnant at the time.I know it was controversial at the time,but this episode proves that it was a good decision.We see Lucy in a somewhat differant light than we had up to this point in the series,and it leads to one of the warmest sweetest moments in the entire series.I love that whole scene where Ricky starts singing and going around the tables,and then theres Lucy,glowing like shes going to burst with joy.Then Ricky sings "Were having a baby(my baby and me)"and his happiness is real.This may have been the high point of Lucy and Desis own relationship,and its especially poignant when you know what happened near the end of the series run.But this is certainly one time where reality and sit-com seemed to mesh in a very memorable way.Of course,there would be other episodes where you feel great empathy towards Lucy,but this is certainly the best.