I Love Lucy

Lucy Plays Cupid

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jan 21, 1952 on CBS

• Too close to the radio show.

7.6
    The character of Lucy in "My Favorite Husband" was not quite the same as the one in the television show, as is very obvious in this episode that borrows heavily from a radio script. In the opening scenes Lucy is practically the straight woman to Bea Benaderet. We have to wait until Lucy's dinner with Mr. Ritter to get the real, crazy redhead back.

Miss Benaderet, the original choice for the role of Ethel, was also too young for the role of Miss Lewis. Miss Lewis' claim that in candlelight she can look fifty again, sounds weird as Benaderet was only 46 at the time. Her performance as an older woman may have sounded believable on radio, here it comes too close to the cliché portrayal of an aged spinster. What kind of "I Love Lucy" is this when an actress other than Lucy gets to put on a disguise?

Other gripes I had were the absence of the Mertzes and the physical punishment Ricky inflicts on his wife. The show is somewhat saved by the final act and the appearance of Edward Everett Horton.