I Love Lucy

Lucy Plays Cupid

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Jan 21, 1952 on CBS

• He Loves Lucy

7.6
    An older woman enters Lucy's kitchen and informs her that she has a giant crush on an older gentleman. She has a letter she wants Lucy to give the man, but when Lucy does (against Ricky's wishes), the man believes the letter is from Lucy....and he loves her too!

This episode has a couple of moments, but overall isn't as good as the average Lucy episode. For one thing, the episode largely focuses on the older couple, neither of whom were seen before or will ever be seen again. Also, neither Fred nor Ethel appear at all in this episode (though I've been noticing at least one of them has been curiously absent in a number of these early episodes...they're almost never missing in the later ones). Speaking of Ethel, the older woman in this episode was played by Bea Benaderet, whom Lucy originally wanted to play the part of Ethel instead of Vivian Vance. How different would the show have been had they gone that route? I guess there's no reason to concern myself with it, since that what if scenario will never come to pass. Until next time, folks!