I Love Lucy

CBS (ended 1957)

Carolee99

I Love Lucy Fan Reviews (132)

• Timeless Stuff!

Even though it may seem like a lame oldie, I Love Lucy is just so hilarious and always will be!
  • One of the best old time shows you`ll love

Pretty funny show. If you ask me, it looks like it was filmed a bit ahead of its time yet it manages to still look good today compared to some shows you see on these days. Full of funny moments and timeless characters, this may be the best old school show that there is.
  • Re-watching the entire series

Just bought the entire series, and finished season one. It took a few episodes to hit their stride, but these shows are perfection. Nobody mentions it but I Love Lucy was the Number 1 situation comedy on television for its ENTIRE run. I don't think any comedy has been that popular since. As a side note, Here's Lucy was the #1 situation comedy on TV in 1970. What an amazing legacy and run for Lucille Ball! I doubt there will ever be anyone as popular as Lucy again. Desi Arnaz is so under-rated. He is brilliant in this show. AND Vivian Vance... best supporting player ever . . . right up there with Don Knotts. Re-watching the show, I find myself marveling at Vivian Vance's excellence as much as I do Lucy's.

If you are just watching the edited shows on TV, I recommend buying the series. Sloppy syndicated editing takes away the smoothness of the shows, and they don't play as well. And speaking of syndication, we owe a great deal of appreciation to the series' production crew. If it wasn't for the excellent cinematography, lighting, scripting and direction, no matter how brilliant the cast was, these would never had played in syndication.
  • A Legendary and Timeless Classic

The Precursor of all Sitcom, I Love Lucy stands out still today as one of TV's greatest shows, mainly thanks to the wild and hilarious antics of the Queen of Comedy herself, Lucille Ball. Serving as the televised adaptation of Ms. Balls successful Radio Comedy "My Favorite Husband" I Love Lucy followed the antics of the worlds craziest Housewife, Lucy Ricardo. Each time you saw that famous Heart on a satin background, you knew the events that followed would eventually end up with the Red Headed Mischief Maker in an outrageous, perilous or downright bizarre situation. Whether it was becoming intoxicated due to a pick me up tonic with a high alcohol content, battling and losing to a high speed candy convert belt, brawling with another woman in an Italian Wine Vat, Tangoing with Ricky while hiding over 3 dozen eggs in her blouse and so on. More importantly Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz helped to pioneer many concepts that the sitcom continue to use today, such as multiple cameras, a live audience and filming in Hollywood rather than New York. Without I Love Lucy, shows such as Friends, Modern Family, Everybody Loves Raymond, 30 Rock or Seinfield may have never existed.
  • Colorize Already

They really should colorize the I love lucy series, esp seeing that they have color recordings to reference what color everything was for some episodes if that's not fake, but it looks real to me I think they didn't use those cameras because though they offered color the pixels were bad. I like watching the old episodes, but it gets terribly drab after a few when my eyes are so used to new color tv shows, I could sit through a whole season or two of this if they fixed the lack of color problem. Oh & release dvd sets in color please now that you have the lost pilot there should be nothing stopping you from releasing the whole thing in it's entirety.
  • Lucy was and is the best.

Great show. Never gets old. Funny as hell.
  • Wonderful!

It brought forward very sarcastic clean wit from radio days. It was a groundbreaking show. TV was new then and Lucy's sitcom format set the standard from there on out. A timeless classic that didn't use dated material so it's still fresh as far as relationship and marital situations. Everybody has a favorite episode and everybody has seen just about all of the shows. The DVD set got me through the roughest time period in my life and that's all I watched (or listened) to for a rock solid year. The humor and banter between the characters kept my spirits lifted. There were a couple of clunker episodes but almost all of them were gems.
  • ilovelucy8

I would describe I Love Lucy as the best tv show of all time. It will always be the best. Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball teamed up and invented something brilliant and what nobody had done before. It is great because no inappropriate things are in it. I wish more people today watched old classics, instead of what is on TV now. I am so glad I Love Lucy still shows!
  • i've been watching this show for a long time and it NEVER gets old.

i've been watching this show for a long time and it NEVER gets old. I love this show for so many reasons. Like the character Lucy is so freakin hilarious. And all the characters are funny but not as nearly as Lucy. Now this show went on in the 50's and it still comes on TV land. WOW i'm suprised that no one gets old of this show. Now there have some boring episode but only like 1 or 2. Every show has the. Overal l10/10.

• Lucy, a troublesome wife, always gets herself into trouble.

I first saw this show when I was seven (yes, it was a rerun).
    Ever since then it had become my daily fix. I consider this show very well put together. Some black and white shows are better then most of the newer shows. The best thing about this show is that the viewers can relate to Lucy. An adult could see the child that they used to be in her. A child could see the adult that they could become (I sure did). I don't know how the script writers could make a new mess that Lucy got herself into every episode. This was a very good show and I'm glad I watched it.
  • A historic, clean, wholesome family show that is funnier then most sitcoms today.

I Love Lucy is a show revolving a around the lives of one luny red-headed housewife Lucy Ricardo, her Cuban, conga-drumming,band leading, husband Ricky Ricardo,and there best friends (and landlords) who seems to always get into trouble with Lucy around Fred ,and Ethel Mertz.

I grew up with this show ,and the Bond these characters make are something special.Lucy is starved to become a hollywood star ,but Ricky is not in favor/won't allow of it.Watch Lucy come up with schemes with her sidekick Ethel to try to get her way ,with Ricky ,and Fred trying to stop them.Also see them all go through other funny situations(mostly trouble Lucy caused) ,and some life changes that somehow brings these couples closer together.All four start off living in new york in an apartment building ,but also travel to Hollywood to all the way to Europe!

Leave it a personal duty to yourself watch one of Television's funniest, comedys of all time.
  • Good show.

I love the clean humor in this one. Their life reminds me of my own in an odd way. I recently rediscovered this show, and now I watch all the episodes I can. Each and every one is hilarious. This is one of my preferred shows to watch on television... I've almost watched every episode. I don't dislike any of the characters, they each have their unique brand of humor, and I find each of them amusing. Everyone that comes to my house during an episode gets to watch an episode, and usually they start out saying, "Gosh, this is a stupid show", and end up talking about what a great show it really is. Gotta love it!
  • The original comedy and still hillarious after all these years

If I had to describe this show in one word it would be: brilliant. It was fantastic and innovative and hillarious in its time, and it's stil great after all this time. I just love this show. It was one of the first shows that made me laugh out loud. Lucy was just such a fantastic and funny actress. This show changed television forever. I Love Lucy is enjoyable for people of all ages. You'll be laughing at Lucy's antics whether you're nine or ninety! Not only is this show one of the funniest shows ever, but it also has an innocence that most modern shows lack. It's great because instead of sitting through a ridiculous kids show, you can sit down and watch Lucy with your kids while at the same time you would not have to worry about them seeing/hearing something inappropriate. I Love Lucy was and still is a hillarious and fantastic show that will continue to enthrall people for years to come!
  • Any show that is still funny all these years later is beyond amazing.

I love to watch this show for the simple fact that it can always make me laugh. Always. This show is so funny all these years later. How Lucy reacts to things and comes up with her plots are amazing. She and Ricky make such a team. I love how each episode is similar but still hillarious. You can't beat Vitametavegamin or the episode where the horse is stuck on the stairs. I love when Ricky goes off in Spanish because he looks so much like my father, and acts like him as well. For a show that aired in the mid-50's, it is amazing how much staying power it has. Every generation embraces this show and will for generations to come!
  • i love lucy is agood comedy show i wish they would bring it back.lol. but thats nearly impossible 2 do right now. so yeah but its a grrrreeaat show

i love is halarious and a lot of people still watch it and you know its one of the best family comedys ever . just to tell you guys they still put it a lot of times on tv land i watch it most of the time. so bla bb b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b b bb b b b b b b b i did so many b's because i have to put 100 words mimimum and i did not have so much to say about the show. :)
  • The adventures of a troublesome housewife, her bandleader husband, and her quarreling best friends.

Probably the #1 television show of all time. An instatnt classic in every aspect. Well written, brilliantly performed, remarkably memorable. It has been frequently rerun on TV for many years, and thus, the audiences of today can gain exposure to the classic bits such as "Vitameatavegimin" and the "Conveyour Belt." Lucille Ball is top-notch, and finds plenty of opportunities to exhibit both her physical and verbal comic skills. Willian Frwaley is also in top form and in my opinion, rarely gets the credit he deserves. Absolutly amazing and revolutionary in every respect, from characters to filming methods, everybody should be exposed to this program.
  • Funny every time.

I have been watching I Love Lucy episodes ever since before I started elementary school and now I'm in college... and I still love watching it. No matter how many times I watch each episode and even though I already know what's going to happen, I still can't help but laugh. I still enjoy watching the episodes. The characters are all funny in their own way which is one reason why this show is so enjoyable to watch. I Love Lucy is one of the best shows ever created and even though it's an old show, it's still entertaining and it never gets old. I doubt that I'll ever get tired of this classic.
  • An amazingly funny television show, surpassing anything of it's genre - back then and now.

An amazingly funny television show, surpassing anything of it's genre - in the '50s and now. Lucille Ball was one of the most talented and funny actresses of all time. Her husband, Ricky Ricardo, a Cuban orchestra leader who couldn't pronouce English: saying dun't instead of don't, was years ahead of it's time - they were expecting people to be offended by a white woman married to an hispanic man. Little did they know that it was to become an iconic show from the fifties. Their neighbours, Ethel and Fred, who had been in Vaudeville decades earlier, were one of the highlights of the show, with Ethel always teasing Fred about his age, and Fred teasing Ethel about her weight, and the both of them teasing poor little Lucy about her naturally brown hair, rather than the red that she dyed it. Truly a great masterpiece in tv that no fan of comedy can miss.
  • I Love Lucy may very well be the greatest show in the history of television.

I Love Lucy was the show that started it all. It is, along with the Honeymooners, one of the undisputed classics of television. Of course, it didn't seem that way in the beginning. Although it pales in comparison to some of the television shows we have today, a lot of the plotlines were very unprecedented and, dare I say, controversial in the 1950s. The subjects, attitudes, and origins of the characters and episodes were very sketchy at the show's height of fame. A Cuban bandleader? CUBAN? With such a thick accent? What about pregnancy? Pregnancy was VERY faux pas at the time. Imagine that, pregnancy being taboo on television! Nowadays it's more common than bottled water (and Maude taking a stab at abortion, oh, boy). The comedy certainly wasn't sophisticated, but the characters were very believable, and, most importantly, hilarious. Who could forget the classic Vitameatavegamin routine? Or the candy factory segment? I Love Lucy takes my vote as one of the greatest shows of all time, if not THE greatest. It's also one of the most influential, along with All in the Family. The one word to describe this show is, predictable, 'classic'.
  • A classic if there ever was one.

There is no other way to describe I Love Lucy other than the word timeless. It is as though I Love Lucy has no expiration date. Even after over 50 years, people still enjoy watching this show. To think that a show this old, and to add, not even in stunning HD color, says so much. Lucille Ball's comedic timing spans all generations. Viewers of all ages will truly enjoy this gem. I Love Lucy broke cultural boundaries and all the while created television history that will never be lost or forgotten. All television comedies should take a note from this show.
  • I have every episode of I Love Lucy on DVD. I really enjoy everyone of them. Nice thing about it if you miss something that was said you can always go back too it hear what they said again.

Some other good things about I Love Lucy on DVD is the special features they have you can find lots of information about I Love Lucy that you never knew before I know I found out lots of information about I Love Lucy that I never knew about before. Also if the phone rings or if someone comes too the door you can always pause it and go back to it later. Hard to that believe that Lucille Ball would be 100 years old this year.Right now I just watched Lucy gets homesick in Italy from season 5 April 9 1956.
  • I LOVE LUCY! Really!

Lucy is the type of family friendly show that makes you laugh non stop. Lucy Richardo always has something up her sleeve or having a misunderstanding and getting in trouble for it! It's a warm show and if you've never seen it, you're missing out on a classic! Made during 1951, it's still making people laugh three generations (or more) in the future! Lucy is a legend! Of course, it's not without her supporting cast, Ricky, Fred and Ethel! Well, I had to keep the review at least 100 words long so I'm just trying to fill in the rest.
  • the comical quirks of the red-headed wife of a cuban club singer.

it amazes me how funny these episodes still are even though ive seen them a million times over!! The comical genius of Lucielle Ball IS EXTRAORDINARY!! from her subtle facial expressions to her extravagant physical comedy never bores the audience. Over the years that the show was aired, the fellow cast memebers began to shine and developed a comical sense themselves. From Ricky's slurred english to fred and ethel's constant punchlines increased the value of the show even more. Also as the years passed, the audience were able to see the raw acting ability of Lucy through her serious moments which she could just turn off and on. Id give this show an 11 if i could!
  • The Queen Of Comedy

If it wasn't for the comic performances of Lucille Ball, this would just be another forgotten 1950's sitcom.

I Love Lucy is without a doubt the most beloved comedy show ever made in which Lucy gets into all sorts of situations whether it involves her husband Ricky's nightclub act or just an ordinary situation that goes comically astray.

Desi Arnaz is Lucy's husband who sometimes has a hard time putting up with Lucy's idiosyncrasies. Rounding out the cast are Vivian Vance & William Frawley as their good friends, Ethel & Fred Mertz.

I have watched the show since i first caught an episode of it on Chicago TV back in the early 1970's & ever since then, it has been one of my all-time classic shows.
  • A great classic show about Lucy and her honey Ricky Ricardo also starring her friend and partner in crime Ethel and her husband Fred.

I Love Lucy was a classic my parents had watched when they were young, I am so glad they gave me the chance to watch I Love Lucy when i was growing up. I still watch it on Nick @ Nite or any other channel. I loved watching Lucy getting into trouble or causing trouble for Ricky and her trying to come up with a good excuse getting out of the trouble she caused. The show was great when they showed her causing trouble with Ethel and Fred at times and during the pregnancy with little Ricky. It was also great to see the big move to Hollywood where she caused much trouble with celebrities and the times where she caused much trouble for Ricky and his awesome band when they were playing shows.
  • I love that old red head.

When i was in the 4th grade i did a project on Lucy. Almost every body loved my impression of the goofy yet very talented Lucy Ball. Sad to say she died eariler because she was a smoker. This show was about a lady married to a cuban who were best friends with the people who owned the building that they lived in. Lucy always had schemes to get her self known as a star though her husband because he's a famous musican. He plays the drums and sings. They had a son named after the father which is little rickie.
  • I Love Lucy

When I was a kid this was one of my favorite reruns to watch I can always remember loving every single moments I still love this show today and still find episodes funny this show never gets old all of the stories are just well planed and funny and I like all the story arks they do the where well thought out and planned the acting was done very well not a bad episode all of them funny I give this show a 10.0 because it is perfect in every way not a boring episode threw the whole series
    The End.
  • Lucy, Lucy, Lucy...

Most of what I feel about this show has already been said. Transcendent. Unique. Groundbreaking. And just plain brilliant. It was a childhood favorite of mine as I'm sure it was for many others. It never failed in entertaining me, the characters were completely lovable and, well...it never failed in entertaining me. What else is there to say? It's probably the only show in history that never wavered in entertainment value. Lucy and her crazy antics, along with Ricky, Ethel, and Fred will remain a staple of the t.v. world that will continue sparking riotous laughter for generations to come. My kids and grandkids will love Lucy as much as I did.
  • One of the greatest shows of all time...

I Love Lucy is one of the greatest shows of all time. You can't help but to laugh. Lucille Ball plays Lucy Ricardo, married to Ricky Ricardo, played by Desi Arnaz, her husband. Most of the show is funny, though there are some episodes that lack in funnyness - and after a while the episodes don't seem that funny anymore... My favorite episodes are 'Lucy Thinks Ricky is Trying to Kill Her', 'Lucy Does a TV Commercial', and 'Job Switching'... I Love Lucy is an influencial TV show - other TV shows copy it. Like one time on Drake & Josh, they have to get jobs because their furniture is stolen, so they get a job at a sushi factory, packaging sushi. The conveyer belt is sped up and they are forced to shove sushi in their aprons and in their mouths, this episode was copied off of 'Job Switching' where Lucy and Ethel got jobs at a chocolate factory.
    Then there are boring parts of the show, which is when Ricky is singing in spanish... I have to fast forward through those parts, except in 'Lucy Does a TV Commercial' because she comes out while Ricky is singing, and she is drunk from Vitameatavegamin, the product she was advertising, and she tries singing with Ricky, which was hilarious...
  • This show has been a favorite of mine ever since I was a kid.

I Love Lucy is a classic and a personal favorite of mine. Lucille Ball is undoubtedly one of the best female comedians to ever grace the small screen. She shines as Lucy McGillicuddy Ricardo, the nosy and zany housewife to Cuban band-leader Ricky Ricardo, who's always trying to make it into one of her husbands shows. Her best friend, Ethel Mertz is married to the cheapskate Fred Mertz. All live together in the same apartment building in Manhattan, New York. Each episode Lucy finds herself in an absurd new predicament, sometimes with Ethel. At the end of each episode the problems are usually solved and all is well with Lucy and friends.
< 1 2 3 4 5