I Love Lucy

CBS (ended 1957)

Carolee99

I Love Lucy Fan Reviews (132)

• Colorize Already

They really should colorize the I love lucy series, esp seeing that they have color recordings to reference what color everything was for some episodes if that's not fake, but it looks real to me I think they didn't use those cameras because though they offered color the pixels were bad. I like watching the old episodes, but it gets terribly drab after a few when my eyes are so used to new color tv shows, I could sit through a whole season or two of this if they fixed the lack of color problem. Oh & release dvd sets in color please now that you have the lost pilot there should be nothing stopping you from releasing the whole thing in it's entirety.
  • a b c d e f g h i j

a b c d e f g h i j a b c d e f g h i j a b c d e f g h i j a b c d e f g h i j a b c d e f g h i j
  • I Love Lucy may very well be the greatest show in the history of television.

I Love Lucy was the show that started it all. It is, along with the Honeymooners, one of the undisputed classics of television. Of course, it didn't seem that way in the beginning. Although it pales in comparison to some of the television shows we have today, a lot of the plotlines were very unprecedented and, dare I say, controversial in the 1950s. The subjects, attitudes, and origins of the characters and episodes were very sketchy at the show's height of fame. A Cuban bandleader? CUBAN? With such a thick accent? What about pregnancy? Pregnancy was VERY faux pas at the time. Imagine that, pregnancy being taboo on television! Nowadays it's more common than bottled water (and Maude taking a stab at abortion, oh, boy). The comedy certainly wasn't sophisticated, but the characters were very believable, and, most importantly, hilarious. Who could forget the classic Vitameatavegamin routine? Or the candy factory segment? I Love Lucy takes my vote as one of the greatest shows of all time, if not THE greatest. It's also one of the most influential, along with All in the Family. The one word to describe this show is, predictable, 'classic'.
  • Very good comedy!

I want to echo all those who have praised Desi Arnaz--he was simply the best straight man in show business. Lucille Ball was incredibly funny, but when you watch her later series, there seems to be something missing--and it's of course Desi. He's hilarious, and as others have mentioned a real pioneer in TV production. Throw in his musical ability and he's hard to beat as performer by anyone (better than Jackie Gleason in my opinion).

As for the show itself, it's timeless. These days it's strange to watch MASH, All In The Family, Maude, they've all faded and seem hopelessly dated. Not so with I Love Lucy, it's just as funny today--no it doesn't deal with abortion, or teen suicide, it deals with funny people who are even funnier when they are together, who have great chemistry together and then the show puts them into genuinely funny situations. In todays politically correct world, one wonders if the thought police would have allowed Lucy to jab at Ricky's accent, or would require some sort of social message about Lucy's role as a housewife. Please. I tend to find more meaning in Ricky singing "I Love Lucy" or Lucy trying to sneak into Ricky's show down at the Tropicana after he's banned her than in all of Maude's tired feminist rants put together.
  • Comedy of all comedies.

This is the show that started alot of gags and sitcoms for example like when Lucy and Ethel stomped all the cranberries in the bucket and the chcolate episode those were all carried out in alot of episodes in other shows. This will defeitly go down in one of the best comedies.
  • Timeless Stuff!

Even though it may seem like a lame oldie, I Love Lucy is just so hilarious and always will be!
  • One of the best old time shows you`ll love

Pretty funny show. If you ask me, it looks like it was filmed a bit ahead of its time yet it manages to still look good today compared to some shows you see on these days. Full of funny moments and timeless characters, this may be the best old school show that there is.
  • The Queen Of Comedy

If it wasn't for the comic performances of Lucille Ball, this would just be another forgotten 1950's sitcom.

I Love Lucy is without a doubt the most beloved comedy show ever made in which Lucy gets into all sorts of situations whether it involves her husband Ricky's nightclub act or just an ordinary situation that goes comically astray.

Desi Arnaz is Lucy's husband who sometimes has a hard time putting up with Lucy's idiosyncrasies. Rounding out the cast are Vivian Vance & William Frawley as their good friends, Ethel & Fred Mertz.

I have watched the show since i first caught an episode of it on Chicago TV back in the early 1970's & ever since then, it has been one of my all-time classic shows.
  • I love I Love Lucy!

I Love Lucy is such a good show! Lucy reminds me of my grandma! :D Lucy's husband is Ricky Ricardo. And some of their friends/ aquantinces (spelling?) are Ethel and Fred Mertz. Lucy is funny! She is always doing something to Ricky or not thinking straight or something. She is funny!!
  • great show, was before my time but i always luv to watch the reruns

i love lucy is a terrific show. even though i was born in the 90's and it started airing on 1951 i still love to watch it over and over again. this show has always been able to make me laugh. its great and has its famous line that ever1 can remeber "Lucy, im home."
  • hmm the best ever

yay if i was him i would be worried to...like i always say everyone worries...i think this is one of the best classic shows that i used to alwayz watch every night during the summer but i never c it on t.v nemore i really miss that show it was the best....
  • I Love Lucy has proven that it has last the test of time, and over 50 years later is just as enjoyable as it was way back then!

I Love Lucy is a simplistic comedy, focusing on housewives women who stay home, and the men work. However Lucy wasn't the greatest stay home wife, she often got into a lot of mischief and trouble. There neighbors Fred and Ethal were also hilarious. What made the show so wonderful though was the chemistry between Ricky and Lucy, it was wonderful to see them fighting and making up all the time. Overall I Love Lucy is one of the truely greatest sitcoms ever made.
  • Three words that are stapled into television history.

Here's one show that was the blueprint for modern-day sitcoms. Lucille Ball showed America what funny really is!

And this show was ahead of it's time. Desi using the three-camera shot to get as many angles from a scene in the shortest amount of time. (This technique is still used today.)

And the fact that this show was put on film, and that Lucy and Desi owned the rights to the show. By today's standards that's amazing! Television never advanced as much as when I Love Lucy was on the air.

Now, granted, I didn't enjoy the sixth and final season as much as the others. I wish they stayed in the city instead. The country ones weren't as enjoyable, IMHO. The best one of those was the one where Lucy lost her wedding ring and tore apart the new grill that Ricky and Fred put together to find it. That was the best of the last bunch of stories.

• LUCY had more comic genius in her pinky than most comedic actors today combined!

Naturally funny people are very rare breeds. Even more rare are women who get laughs. And back in the 50's, there were hardly any women like her. So Lucy was definitely an original. I Love Lucy was a phenomenon in its day, and it still is in the 21st century. She, and her costars, weren't afraid to make real fools of themselves for the appreciation of the audience. My favorite episode was when Ethel and Lucy got jobs in the chocolate factory. There will never be a show that organic and willing to go the extra mile to get a laugh. Definitely a classic.
  • Lucy at her best.

Classic comedy that is often copied. The story is centered around Lucy and all the goofy situations that she gets herself into. She isn't shy about involving her husband and/or her friends. This is still a good show by today’s standards. If you are too young to have watched it when it was originally one, do yourself a favor a watch it now. If any of the stories seem familiar it is because most comedy show since have used similar storylines. This is the ultimate compliment to the actors and writers of this show. Lucille Ball was the star of the show playing the title role of Lucy. Her real-life husband Desi Arnaz played her on-screen husband Ricky. Vivian Vance and William Frawley played their neighbors and best friends Ethel and Fred Mertz. All four actors were incredibly funny and talented.
  • I Love Lucy was one of my favorite shows of all time.

I Love Lucy was one of my favorite shows of all time. When I was a kid, I used to watch it all the time. In fact, I had memorized the schedule of it on Nick @ Nite. I swear, I must have seen each episode at least five times, some more than others.

What I loved about this show is how clean, but how incredibly funny the humor was. I watch this show NOW and still laugh at the crazy antics that happen in the episodes. The episodes that featured music segments were my favorite. It really gave me a taste of the music of the times. I especially enjoyed the episode, I don't remember the name, where Lucy, Ethel, Fred, and Ricky were doing a barbershop-like song and tried to keep Lucy from singing by sticking the shaving cream brush in her mouth everytime she tried.

The only negative thing I have to say about the show is that I don't get to see it as much anymore since its not on Nick @ Nite but on TV Land instead.
  • I grew up watching re-runs of this show. I still love it!

The first episode I can remember watching was when Lucy and Ethel were working at the candy factory and they kept eating all the candy because the conveyour belt was mooving too fast. God that was funny! I really enjoy the humor and the charachters. I wish they would have made an actual movie called I Love Lucy. They did make the one called "The long long trailer". That was really funny.
  • This show is amazing and as I re-watch it on DVD I can't believe how ground breaking, trend setting, and laugh out loud funny it is. It clearly, truly set the precedent for most sitcoms that have ever done anything significant or been in the least bit fun

This show is amazing and as I re-watch it on DVD I can't believe how ground breaking, trend setting, and laugh out loud funny it is. It clearly, truly set the precedent for most sitcoms that have ever done anything significant or been in the least bit funny. It always leaves me laughing out loud with the hysterical characters, storylines, and physical comedy. It is simply magic.
  • Great classic show.

I think this show is great. If you like to watch classic television, this is the show to watch. Its humor brings smiles to the faces of people of all ages, whether you are a young kid, an adult, or an elderly person. This show is one of the easiest classic shows to understand.
  • I LOVE LUCY! Really!

Lucy is the type of family friendly show that makes you laugh non stop. Lucy Richardo always has something up her sleeve or having a misunderstanding and getting in trouble for it! It's a warm show and if you've never seen it, you're missing out on a classic! Made during 1951, it's still making people laugh three generations (or more) in the future! Lucy is a legend! Of course, it's not without her supporting cast, Ricky, Fred and Ethel! Well, I had to keep the review at least 100 words long so I'm just trying to fill in the rest.
  • It was about a woman named Lucy who had a husband who was a cuban bandleader.

This was one of the funnest shows,especially with Lucy.Lucy had some of the funnest ideas for schemes just to get what she wanted.Ricky got angry sometimes,like when Lucy begs him to be on one of his shows.She always tries to be on his show without him knowing.Sometimes Lucy wants to travel somewhere,and Ricky always says that he can't afford it.The Ricardos best friends the Mertzes try to help Lucy with her schemes,especially Ethel Mertz.Fred and Ethel Mertz are the landlords of the apartment that the Ricardos live in.Most schemes have Lucy and Ethel trying to do or get something they want that Ricky says no to.
  • One of the greatest shows of all time...

I Love Lucy is one of the greatest shows of all time. You can't help but to laugh. Lucille Ball plays Lucy Ricardo, married to Ricky Ricardo, played by Desi Arnaz, her husband. Most of the show is funny, though there are some episodes that lack in funnyness - and after a while the episodes don't seem that funny anymore... My favorite episodes are 'Lucy Thinks Ricky is Trying to Kill Her', 'Lucy Does a TV Commercial', and 'Job Switching'... I Love Lucy is an influencial TV show - other TV shows copy it. Like one time on Drake & Josh, they have to get jobs because their furniture is stolen, so they get a job at a sushi factory, packaging sushi. The conveyer belt is sped up and they are forced to shove sushi in their aprons and in their mouths, this episode was copied off of 'Job Switching' where Lucy and Ethel got jobs at a chocolate factory.
    Then there are boring parts of the show, which is when Ricky is singing in spanish... I have to fast forward through those parts, except in 'Lucy Does a TV Commercial' because she comes out while Ricky is singing, and she is drunk from Vitameatavegamin, the product she was advertising, and she tries singing with Ricky, which was hilarious...
  • I Love Lucy is one of the shows many people have heard of and will never forget.

Many people know its one of the classics and you always remember the laughs of watching the episodes(reruns). Lucy was never like the other lady's in the 50's or whatever year this took place. She is like one of the original female comediens. She brought comedy to a new level of great. This show is classic and no one can take away the goofyness of it!
  • I love Lucy!

I Love Lucy! Lucy is so funny and she and Ethel are always getting into trouble. Most of the time it is Lucy's falt. Lucy is married to Ricky Ricardo. He often yells at lucy in Spanish. Ethel is married to Fred. Fred is Ricky's land lord. Lucy and Ethel are best friends. Lucy is often doing something stupit and then she and Ethel have to fix what ever it is that she did. They often get dressed in funny costumes and they pretend to be some one else. I Love I love Lucy. It is a all time classic.
  • The story of an immigant nightclub entertainer, his zany wife and their long-suffering best friends, I Love Lucy set the tone for all sitcoms to follow. Innovative in the way it was crafted, the show is as funny today as it was when it debuted almost 60 y

A classic among the classics, I Love Lucy is timelessly funny. Starring "over-the-hill" by Hollywood standards Lucille Ball and her real-life husband Dezi Arnaz as Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, the show was madcap, zany, and a real riot.

William Frawley and Vivian Vance co-starred as Fred & Ethel Mertz the best friends and landlords of the Ricardos.

Most of the action takes place at the Ricardo's apartment in the beginning of the show. Lucy has two purposes in life: one to get into show business; the other to get a new outfit. Lucy would do anything to get what she wanted, and she usually did.

Dragging the sensible and practical Ethel Mertz into one scheme after the other, the two never went so far that Ricky and Fred couldn't save the day.

The show is also interesting in that Desi came up with the multiple camera shooting format and taping before a live audience for real laughs. He was a true television pioneer. And, the Desilu studios produced some of televisions all-time best shows thanks to their ground-breaking innovations.
  • A ground breaking show with many memorable T.V. moments.

I Love Lucy is a fabulous comedy starrig Lucille Ball. Lucy is one of the original queens of comedy. I have no doubt that this series could have continued strong for many more seasons if not for Lucy's divorce. When watching I Love Lucy on DVD it brings back many childhood memories of watching television on weekday mornings. This sitcom is filled with many memorable episode moments such as: grape stomping, vitameatavegamin, bread baking, job swapping, and baseball with Bob Hope. Watch this show and you will fall in love with Ricky, Lucy, Fred and Ethel. This show is a must for any comedy fan.
  • Classic comedy that is often copied. The story is centered around Lucy and all the goofy situations that she gets herself into. She isn't shy about involving her husband and/or her friends.

• This classic sit-com is about the antics of Lucy Ricardo,married to a Cuban bandleader,constantly scheming and trying to break into show business,frequently dragging friend and neighbor Ethel Mertz into her schemes.

It is easy to underestimate the importance of I Love Lucy in the history of American sit-coms,but there are few sit-coms more influential in their impact.Ground-breaking in so many ways.Today is it still widely seen in syndication,incredibly after 54 years since its debut.Of course,Lucille Ball deserves the lions share of the credit for her genius,but it was more than her comic acting,it was the great writing,the great chemistry between 4 actors,and ground-breaking production.Desi Arnaz sometimes get overlooked in being recognized,but he deserves credit for the behind the scenes stuff,as well as his own acting,being able to keep up with Lucy.What I find amazing is,even after 54 years and endless screenings,the show is still funny.Some of Lucys later sit-com work doesnt hold up as well,but this does,and I think a lot of it was the writing.For a show that was largely physical humor,there were well defined characters.Lucy was not just a one dimensional character.This was someone you really cared about,and occasionally,emphathised with.This show could very well go on forever.
  • This show has been a favorite of mine ever since I was a kid.

I Love Lucy is a classic and a personal favorite of mine. Lucille Ball is undoubtedly one of the best female comedians to ever grace the small screen. She shines as Lucy McGillicuddy Ricardo, the nosy and zany housewife to Cuban band-leader Ricky Ricardo, who's always trying to make it into one of her husbands shows. Her best friend, Ethel Mertz is married to the cheapskate Fred Mertz. All live together in the same apartment building in Manhattan, New York. Each episode Lucy finds herself in an absurd new predicament, sometimes with Ethel. At the end of each episode the problems are usually solved and all is well with Lucy and friends.
  • I love this show...

This was definitely a bit ahead of its time, in my opinion. Kooky, wacky plots. I love Lucy, is just great. I can watch this show at any time. I just do not get tired of it. I see an episode and I am like, "Oh this is the one where Lucy..." and sit and watch it even though I know what's gonna happen. Vitmetavegamin is my absolute favorite! LOL
< 1 2 3 4 5