I Love Lucy

CBS (ended 1957)

Carolee99

I Love Lucy Fan Reviews (132)

• I Love Lucy may very well be the greatest show in the history of television.

I Love Lucy was the show that started it all. It is, along with the Honeymooners, one of the undisputed classics of television. Of course, it didn't seem that way in the beginning. Although it pales in comparison to some of the television shows we have today, a lot of the plotlines were very unprecedented and, dare I say, controversial in the 1950s. The subjects, attitudes, and origins of the characters and episodes were very sketchy at the show's height of fame. A Cuban bandleader? CUBAN? With such a thick accent? What about pregnancy? Pregnancy was VERY faux pas at the time. Imagine that, pregnancy being taboo on television! Nowadays it's more common than bottled water (and Maude taking a stab at abortion, oh, boy). The comedy certainly wasn't sophisticated, but the characters were very believable, and, most importantly, hilarious. Who could forget the classic Vitameatavegamin routine? Or the candy factory segment? I Love Lucy takes my vote as one of the greatest shows of all time, if not THE greatest. It's also one of the most influential, along with All in the Family. The one word to describe this show is, predictable, 'classic'.