I Love Lucy

The Audition Show

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 19, 1951 on CBS

7.6
  • Notable for several reasons, but really not the greatest episode.

This episode is notable for a few reasons. First, it is a remake of the unaired pilot for the series. Of course, the original version had some different lines, a different set, and there was no Fred or Ethel Mertz yet. Nonetheless, the plot and many of the lines came straight from the pilot. It is also notable in that it is the first episode in which Ricky performs his trademark song Babaloo. And no, I'm not sure I spelled that correctly. Finally, it's the only episode I can remember off the top of my head in which Vivian Vance (Ethel) does not appear. This episode begins in a familiar way: Lucy wants to be in Ricky's show....again. Ricky tries to hide the fact that he'll be performing from Lucy, but a clown in his act injures himself and goes to Ricky's apartment to recover. There (of course) he finds Big Red and tells her she should go on in his place. Lucy appears as the clown and is a big success....that's really about it. Perhaps the overly simple plot is due to the fact that the story is pulled from the pilot.

As usual (at least in these early episodes), there are a couple of plot points that make little, if any, sense. The clown injures himself riding a bike for Ricky's act, but when Lucy goes on in his place, no bike riding is featured in the act! What Lucy does perform goes extremely well. Seems kind of unlikely Lucy would be that well-rehearsed for a part she didn't know she had several hours earlier. Perhaps things like this are part of the show's charm, but overall (even despite all the interesting facts behind it) this isn't one of the more memorable episodes of the series. It's definitely my least favorite of the first few episodes that I just recently rewatched.