I Love Lucy

The Diet

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 29, 1951 on CBS

• Ricardo Fit Club

This is the first of MANY episodes of "I Love Lucy" in which Lucy attempts to get into Ricky's act. I actually think this is one of the better episodes of this nature, because this theme was used a few too many times throughout the series.

This episode begins with everyone discussing their weight. Only Lucy seems to have trouble accepting the fact that she may have put on a few pounds. When she tries to audition for a part in Ricky's show, only to find out she needs to drop around ten pounds, she becomes determined to lose the weight.

While funny, there are a couple of little things that keep this from being a 10. First of all, there are a number of very obvious plot devises in this episode. When Lucy mentions opportunity could knock and she'd be too fat to answer, the phone immediately rings and Ricky needs a girl for his act. Fred and Ethel have a dog for this episode, just so that there can be a scene where Lucy immitates a dog for scraps. Finally, in the "Be a Pal" episode, Lucy mentions that she can't really sing or dance. We'll see this as a problem in many later episodes. Her inability must come and go because Lucy can sing and dance just fine in episodes where the writers want her too. Anyway, the episode did have some laughs, particularly at the end when it is revealed Lucy trapped a girl in a closet to steal her part in the show. As long as there is laughter, who am I to complain?
  • In order for Lucy,to be part of Ricky show is to go on an strict diet.

After eating dinner commenting on the food,that they ate.Lucy pointed out that she didn't gain weight,that she was the same size,as she was before when she first married Ricky.In order to prove to that Ricky brings her the scale,she had gained 22 pounds more! When Lucy learned about the show that Ricky's doing.She wanted to be part of the show.But she must lose 12 pounds to fit in the dress! While at the try-out she begged to be in the show.So Lucy begin to try her best to lose weight.Altough it does seemed to be impossiable,for her to do so.

This was an pretty good episode.I mean it was funny when Lucy tried to pretend that she was an dog.
  • Lucy discovers that she's gained 22 lbs since she got married. She then auditions for a part in Ricky's show, but she needs to lose 12 lbs to fit the costume. Ricky agrees to give her the part if she can lose the weight, and Lucy is determined to do so.

I classified this episode as "Character Development" because this is the first episode in which we see Lucy's determination to "get in the show". The classic theme which surfaces again and again in the series begins in this episode. There is a great scene with Lucy trying to fit in with the other girls who are auditioning for the show, and another of Lucy trying to maintain her diet while Ethel, Fred, and Ricky eat a delicious dinner. Lucy wrestling with the Mertzes' dog Butch, who is seen only in this episode, is definitely a highlight of this classic "I Love Lucy" episode.