I Love Lucy

The Diet

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 29, 1951 on CBS

• Ricardo Fit Club

This is the first of MANY episodes of "I Love Lucy" in which Lucy attempts to get into Ricky's act. I actually think this is one of the better episodes of this nature, because this theme was used a few too many times throughout the series.

This episode begins with everyone discussing their weight. Only Lucy seems to have trouble accepting the fact that she may have put on a few pounds. When she tries to audition for a part in Ricky's show, only to find out she needs to drop around ten pounds, she becomes determined to lose the weight.

While funny, there are a couple of little things that keep this from being a 10. First of all, there are a number of very obvious plot devises in this episode. When Lucy mentions opportunity could knock and she'd be too fat to answer, the phone immediately rings and Ricky needs a girl for his act. Fred and Ethel have a dog for this episode, just so that there can be a scene where Lucy immitates a dog for scraps. Finally, in the "Be a Pal" episode, Lucy mentions that she can't really sing or dance. We'll see this as a problem in many later episodes. Her inability must come and go because Lucy can sing and dance just fine in episodes where the writers want her too. Anyway, the episode did have some laughs, particularly at the end when it is revealed Lucy trapped a girl in a closet to steal her part in the show. As long as there is laughter, who am I to complain?