I Love Lucy

The Young Fans

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 25, 1952 on CBS

• What Ricky and Lucy might have looked like had the show continued for another 40 years...

This episode has a number of amusing moments, but on the whole isn't one of the better episode of "I Love Lucy." A supposed teenager named Peggy (though strangely enough they found an actress less than seven years younger than Lucy to play her) has a school-girl crush on Ricky and won't leave him alone. I know how he feels. I have young women following me around wherever I go. You thinks girls aren't impressed by these stupid little reviews I write on tv.com? But I digress...Back to the actual show, Lucy tries to have a talk with slightly younger Peggy. She discovers Peggy also likes a boy her own age named Arthur but that he is shy and doesn't know how to dance. Naturally, Lucy decides to teach him. This results in him falling for Lucy. The only solution at this point is for Lucy and Ricky to make themselves up to look older than they really are to turn off the teeny bopper crowd.

There are a number of good moments in this episode. The woman who plays Peggy is fairly funny, especially in her assertions about Ricky and Lucy's age. And Ricky and Lucy turn out over-the-top performances as the elderly version of the Ricardos. Still, I almost feel like the episode is hurt a bit by the fact that the teenagers don't even feel like real human beings, just weird props that result in an excuse for Lucy and Ricky to act elderly. I also think it kind of hurts an episode when Ethel and Fred are missing. I didn't realize before just how many early episodes one or both of them were absent for! In any case, it just reinforces the positive contribution the two of them had on the show. This episode certainly isn't bad enough to be skipped, but I don't think too many people will have it on their "Top Ten" lists.