iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Why isn't Dan allowed to make episodes out of fanfictions?

  • Avatar of MusicAddictBabe

    MusicAddictBabe

    [61]Aug 22, 2010
    • member since: 10/10/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,909
    TF7 - Yeah. I know now what it is. lol I'm sorta surprised they used that in the show.

    Marc - Yeah. It's definitely easier to write. It's like how people call me "Mab" on here. I won't call you that anymore if you don't want me too. Actually, I really didn't at first a whole lot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KJLwriter

    KJLwriter

    [62]Aug 22, 2010
    • member since: 08/21/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 629
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    Marc - Do you mean your own messages or someone else's?

    KJLWriter - I write fanfictions too and I totally get what you're saying. If it's one thing I get annoyed with in some fanfics, it's misused grammar and a lot of spelling errors. And I mean major ones. So, when I'm typing some, I try to be as detailed as I can so people get an image in their minds. Plus, this past year I had English and a College Prep Writing course (it's a lot like another English class except you do way more essays). I felt so good when I learned something new and incorporated that into my stories. lol I felt really smart ^^. Plus, it's good practice. I always try to imagine my stories as if they were actual episodes so I can get a better idea of how a character would act. I haven't written in awhile, though, because I keep waiting for a really good new iCarly episode to inspire me. Whenever I wrote a new chapter or something to my other fanfics, I knew I HAD to watch the show first because then it feels like their voices and stuff are drilled into my head lol.

    lol Pscf is right. It's page after page of nonstop "Sam/Freddie evilness" on the 'Who Deserves Freddie More...?' topic. Or, well, a lot of debates, actually. Remember? We all had an evil role on there or something.

    Yeah, I don't mind sophistication, but going overboard is too much. Confusing! Like, it's really good in fanfictions because you can invision what's going on. But on here, I like casualty too.


    Well, that's what I try to do. I get annoyed by the grammar errors also. I am going to be a creative writing/literature major in college. I feel like fanfiction is getting me prepared for that. It's creative fun. That's all it is. I get a lot of positive reviews for my stories. It makes me happy about myself. What's wrong with that?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MusicAddictBabe

    MusicAddictBabe

    [63]Aug 23, 2010
    • member since: 10/10/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,909
    That's cool . That's really good practice. I always get positive ones too. It helps motivate me for upcoming chapters. Nothing's wrong with that. I didn't say something wrong, did I? If I did I'm sorry . I didn't mean to.

    Seaking of writing, when I had College Prep Writing, we did this thing every Wednesday where we basically were given a topic and had to rant about it. lol Needless to say, I liked doing that. The catch was, though, that you had to be gramatically correct. But, still. I rant a lot about stuff. So, why not put it on paper lol? Some were actually rant-worthy too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of schillingklaus

    schillingklaus

    [64]Aug 23, 2010
    • member since: 10/20/08
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 2,061
    Nickelodeon lacks the capacity required for understanding my fanfictions. Only the illuminated elite is able to do so.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pscf3

    pscf3

    [65]Aug 23, 2010
    • member since: 06/30/10
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,696
    schillingklaus wrote:
    Nickelodeon lacks the capacity required for understanding my fanfictions. Only the illuminated elite is able to do so.


    Ok, you seriously need to see a doctor.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of iCarlyFan101

    iCarlyFan101

    [66]Aug 23, 2010
    • member since: 09/25/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 83

    schillingklaus wrote:
    Nickelodeon lacks the capacity required for understanding my fanfictions. Only the illuminated elite is able to do so.


    And you sure don't lack any modesty do you? We get it - you're smart, brilliant, way more sophisticated and profound than the rest of us. Blah, blah, blah...


    I write FF as well - although I tend to run into the problem of having so many ideas for stories that I have difficulty just focusing on one so I have a bunch of partially written ones I don't know I'll ever finish. I actually thought of putting a bunch of my "plot bunnies" out there to see if anyone wants to help me out and finish them. I think I'm a decent writer (my stories are pretty well-received), I just wish I had more time and energy to devote to it.

    Edited on 08/23/2010 8:59am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of iCarlyFan101

    iCarlyFan101

    [67]Aug 23, 2010
    • member since: 09/25/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 83

    KJLwriter wrote:
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    Marc - Do you mean your own messages or someone else's? KJLWriter - I write fanfictions too and I totally get what you're saying. If it's one thing I get annoyed with in some fanfics, it's misused grammar and a lot of spelling errors. And I mean major ones. So, when I'm typing some, I try to be as detailed as I can so people get an image in their minds. Plus, this past year I had English and a College Prep Writing course (it's a lot like another English class except you do way more essays). I felt so good when I learned something new and incorporated that into my stories. lol I felt really smart ^^. Plus, it's good practice. I always try to imagine my stories as if they were actual episodes so I can get a better idea of how a character would act. I haven't written in awhile, though, because I keep waiting for a really good new iCarly episode to inspire me. Whenever I wrote a new chapter or something to my other fanfics, I knew I HAD to watch the show first because then it feels like their voices and stuff are drilled into my head lol. lol Pscf is right. It's page after page of nonstop "Sam/Freddie evilness" on the 'Who Deserves Freddie More...?' topic. Or, well, a lot of debates, actually. Remember? We all had an evil role on there or something. Yeah, I don't mind sophistication, but going overboard is too much. Confusing! Like, it's really good in fanfictions because you can invision what's going on. But on here, I like casualty too.
    Well, that's what I try to do. I get annoyed by the grammar errors also. I am going to be a creative writing/literature major in college. I feel like fanfiction is getting me prepared for that. It's creative fun. That's all it is. I get a lot of positive reviews for my stories. It makes me happy about myself. What's wrong with that?


    Is it funny I sometimes like the negative reveiws better? The constructive ones anyway. I think those help me to look more closely at my writing and see what I need to do to better myself. But positive reviews are nice too.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of schillingklaus

    schillingklaus

    [68]Aug 23, 2010
    • member since: 10/20/08
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 2,061

    Modesty is plain useless and obsolete.


    Edited on 08/23/2010 9:33am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of iCarlyFan101

    iCarlyFan101

    [69]Aug 23, 2010
    • member since: 09/25/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 83

    schillingklaus wrote:


    Modesty is plain useless and obsolete.




    Unlike your opinions...


    What about sarcasm?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MusicAddictBabe

    MusicAddictBabe

    [70]Aug 23, 2010
    • member since: 10/10/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,909
    iCarlyFan - Yeah, I'm like that too. If I could make a legacy on FF, it's 'The Author Who Wrote Half of a Story, Then Went MIA.' I'll be motivated to write one night, but by the next couple nights or so (after I get any inspiration if any to write a few more chapters), I lose inspiration or something and just don't end up writing again. I just feel like if I go to write more, it won't turn out as great as I want it too because of my lack of motivation or something. That's a good idea, though. Putting up the plot for some much needed help (well, in my case anyway lol). Nah, it's not bad that you like the negative ones. I don't mind getting the 'helpful criticism' ones.

    Schilling - Yeah, modesty is SO obsolete. If it was, people wouldn't be like that anymore.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NatalieTV100

    NatalieTV100

    [71]Aug 24, 2010
    • member since: 06/20/08
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 641
    schillingklaus wrote:

    Modesty is plain useless and obsolete.




    In your opinion, it's not a fact.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of T7F

    T7F

    [72]Aug 25, 2010
    • member since: 06/22/10
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 454
    NatalieTV100 wrote:
    schillingklaus wrote:

    Modesty is plain useless and obsolete.




    In your opinion, it's not a fact.
    he was suspended
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NatalieTV100

    NatalieTV100

    [73]Aug 25, 2010
    • member since: 06/20/08
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 641
    T7F wrote:
    NatalieTV100 wrote:
    schillingklaus wrote:

    Modesty is plain useless and obsolete.




    In your opinion, it's not a fact.
    he was suspended


    Seriously? For what...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pscf3

    pscf3

    [74]Aug 25, 2010
    • member since: 06/30/10
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 2,696
    For being himself. Somebody decided to report his every single post, and he got suspended.

    NatalieTV100 wrote:
    T7F wrote:
    NatalieTV100 wrote:
    schillingklaus wrote:

    Modesty is plain useless and obsolete.




    In your opinion, it's not a fact.
    he was suspended


    Seriously? For what...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Canada_Michael

    Canada_Michael

    [75]Aug 25, 2010
    • member since: 08/21/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 454

    I think the reason they don't use any fan contributed material is because it's simplier not to from a legal standpoint. If it became known that ideas are actively being used from online stories & the like they would be swamped by people claiming that their ideas were used, even if they weren't.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MusicAddictBabe

    MusicAddictBabe

    [76]Aug 25, 2010
    • member since: 10/10/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,909
    Wow. Really? When did this happen?

    Canada_Michael - Very good point, actually. Dishonesty...*shakes head slowly back and forth* tsk, tsk, people these days. But seriously I get what you're saying.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of teenj12

    teenj12

    [77]Aug 26, 2010
    • member since: 07/17/10
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 5,168
    pscf3 wrote:
    For being himself. Somebody decided to report his every single post, and he got suspended.

    NatalieTV100 wrote:
    T7F wrote:
    NatalieTV100 wrote:
    schillingklaus wrote:

    Modesty is plain useless and obsolete.




    In your opinion, it's not a fact.
    he was suspended


    Seriously? For what...

    I reported 2 of his post.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KJLwriter

    KJLwriter

    [78]Aug 26, 2010
    • member since: 08/21/10
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 629
    Well, I want to do a creative writing summer camp next year. I like to write about my favorite t.v. shows, books and movies. It makes me feel like I'm a part of it, if you know what I mean. If I could work for a t.v. show and be their writer, I would love that! I just am always thinking of episodes they could do.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NatalieTV100

    NatalieTV100

    [79]Aug 26, 2010
    • member since: 06/20/08
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 641
    teenj12 wrote:
    pscf3 wrote:
    For being himself. Somebody decided to report his every single post, and he got suspended.

    NatalieTV100 wrote:
    T7F wrote:
    NatalieTV100 wrote:
    schillingklaus wrote:

    Modesty is plain useless and obsolete.




    In your opinion, it's not a fact.
    he was suspended


    Seriously? For what...

    I reported 2 of his post.


    Oh okay.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MusicAddictBabe

    MusicAddictBabe

    [80]Aug 26, 2010
    • member since: 10/10/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,909
    ^Gotcha.

    Pfft...why on Earth was he reported...he never did anything wrong! *sarcasm of course*
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.