We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Identity (2007) Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Strategy?

  • Avatar of paul61

    paul61

    [1]Dec 19, 2006
    • member since: 03/13/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 28
    OK, maybe I'm missing something, but I think there's an obvious winning strategy for this game.  Out of the 12 identities, it seems about half of them are pretty obvious.  I mean, c'mon, a sumo wrestler?!  Anyway, why not immediately rule out the obvious ones and save them for later?  Since you can't use the "Mistaken Identity" freebie for the top level prize, doesn't it make sense to possibly use it early on?  Fight through the tough ones first, then fly through the obvious ones, up to the top prize.  Obvious, no?  OK, what am I missing?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of NinjaTurtleFan

    NinjaTurtleFan

    [2]Dec 19, 2006
    • member since: 10/29/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 146

    I disagree with you. You need to first do the easy ones because once you pick a wrong person you are done. You will get a mistaken identity thing after you figure out two contestants. Thus, that's why those two contestants are a little easier. You are obviously a tatoo artist if you have tatoos all over your body, and you are a pregnant women when you are bigger, and you are a women. They do it purposely.

    Then, it's your choice to try a harder one, or an easier one. Otherwise, you might get right out of the game. I do think though even after that, you should still go for the easier people because you are eliminating them from the hard people. Use those two things after you get rid of the easy people, and before you get up to two people.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of paul61

    paul61

    [3]Dec 20, 2006
    • member since: 03/13/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 28
    I didn't realize that you don't get the Mistaken Identity until after you chose two correct ones. In that case, your strategy makes perfect sense.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of paul61

    paul61

    [4]Dec 20, 2006
    • member since: 03/13/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 28
    In tonight's episode, the first contestant missed the identity on his first guess, and the Mistaken Identity was used.  So, it is not true that this takes effect only after selecting two correct identities.  Therefore, I stick by my original strategy.  :-)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mtjaws

    mtjaws

    [5]Dec 20, 2006
    • member since: 04/23/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 525
    I think all three lifelines are available from the beginning, but the first two answers are made to be easy, so after you get them right, they can explain the lifelines to you.

    I would do the easy ones first and then hope to narrow the others down one by one.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FalconPain

    FalconPain

    [6]Dec 20, 2006
    • member since: 12/02/04
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 724
    Saving the freebies early and going for the hard ones first only means that you get your first one wrong earlier.
    The only time your strategy would pay off is a situation where you would retain the Mistaken Identity all the way to the final two. In that case, why not guess at the hardest one when there are three left? I don't see how leaving a giveaway answer in play actually gives you an advantage over taking your biggest risk one round earlier.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BringOutBopit45

    BringOutBopit45

    [7]Dec 20, 2006
    • member since: 09/27/06
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,543
    I think some of them are WAY too easy. Like the mall santa..come on! And the country singer!? But I'm guessing the idea is to make the person look like the identity to trick the contestant. If that makes sense.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Signal2Noise

    Signal2Noise

    [8]Dec 21, 2006
    • member since: 03/07/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 473
    BringOutBopit45 wrote:
    I think some of them are WAY too easy. Like the mall santa..come on! And the country singer!? ....


    The worst was the freakin' Witch Doctor!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FalconPain

    FalconPain

    [9]Dec 21, 2006
    • member since: 12/02/04
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 724
    Here's where we need to figure out how this show works.
    Our contestant had three people left: alligator wrestler, CSI person, kidney donor. She asked the experts, and they all fingered the same guy as the wrestler.
    The smartest strategy would be to then pick one of the girls as the CSI person or kidney donor. That way she gets to use that otherwise runaway Mistaken Identity as a safety net and she can go back to the wrestler guy afterward.

    I bet they wouldn't let that happen, though. It's Undramatic (TM).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of paul61

    paul61

    [10]Dec 21, 2006
    • member since: 03/13/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 28
    OK, perfect example in tonight's episode. She has three people left and still hasn't used her Mistaken Identity. One of the three people is pretty obvious - the alligator wrestler. What does she do? She picks that one, instead of trying one of the tougher choices. So, then she's left with two hard-to-chose identities, and no Mistaken Identity. So she leaves with $250K. Makes no sense at all to me!

    Plus, tonight's episode was so sloooooooow and drawn out....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FalconPain

    FalconPain

    [11]Dec 21, 2006
    • member since: 12/02/04
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 724
    I still want to know if the contestant is informed about the disappearing MI policy at any prior time. If this truly is a surprise moment, then it is definitely a cruel trick for a dear friend... oops, sorry, Penn gets to me.

    Does anyone else think that the show handed Stan Lee to her? She didn't even speculate which identity #12 could be before they gave her his name and home city.
    (Wrong name aside, she made up for it on the next guy.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of paul61

    paul61

    [12]Dec 21, 2006
    • member since: 03/13/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 28
    I agree, Stan Lee was given to her.

    I found Penn especially annoying tonight for some reason.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jekyll

    jekyll

    [13]Dec 22, 2006
    • member since: 05/24/02
    • level: 86
    • rank: Agent 86
    • posts: 6,738
    FalconPain wrote:
    Here's where we need to figure out how this show works. Our contestant had three people left: alligator wrestler, CSI person, kidney donor. She asked the experts, and they all fingered the same guy as the wrestler. The smartest strategy would be to then pick one of the girls as the CSI person or kidney donor.
    If she was smart she would've left the bikini woman and girl with exposed belly to the end, along with one or two clothed people. The lack of a scar on the women whose bellies we could see would've really helped pin down the kidney donor.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FalconPain

    FalconPain

    [14]Mar 16, 2007
    • member since: 12/02/04
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 724
    Today's contestant redeemed our logic. Excellent.

    She asked the experts for advice on the prison guard, and when they all fingered the same woman, she headed on to figure out which was the telephone book ripper and which was the astronomer.
    Good thinking. She seemed so disappointed when they took away the Mistaken Identity, but she played that round perfectly for a person who knew that it was going to happen. And as a result, the final $500,000 answer was practically a freebie.

    (Not that that stopped Penn from stalling for over ten minutes, including a commercial break.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of paul61

    paul61

    [15]Mar 16, 2007
    • member since: 03/13/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 28
    Using the fast-forward button on my PVR, I was able to watch tonight's episode in about 15 minutes.  It was still too drawn out.

    And since when is the world "scrabble" 7 letters long?!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Synetech

    Synetech

    [16]May 4, 2007
    • member since: 04/26/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 1,290
    paul61 wrote:
    Out of the 12 identities, it seems about half of them are pretty obvious. … Anyway, why not immediately rule out the obvious ones and save them for later?

    Because the difference between prize levels matters. If you bust out or choose to leave between $1,000 and $2,000 it's not a big deal; you lost $1,000, but if you bust out or leave between $250,000 and $500,000 it IS a big deal; you lost $250,000. Get the hard ones over with at the start, because worst case scenario, you lose $5,000 or so, but on the other hand if you don't lose, then you have left the easy ones for the higher amounts. If you leave the hard ones for last, then you may stay for a while but then you'll be stuck having to leave with $25,000 because the last few are just too hard and you won't be able to move up. Level 2-level 1=$1,000; level 11-level 10=$250,000! Save the easy ones for when moving up a single level means more money.

    It really comes down to whether you really need whatever you can get and are happy with $50,000 or you are there on a mission to get the $500,000.

    paul61 wrote:
    Since you can't use the "Mistaken Identity" freebie for the top level prize, doesn't it make sense to possibly use it early on? Fight through the tough ones first, then fly through the obvious ones, up to the top prize. Obvious, no? OK, what am I missing?

    I thought so, but apparently not; and nothing, you got it.

    NinjaTurtleFan wrote:
    You need to first do the easy ones because once you pick a wrong person you are done.

    True, but that's only the right strategy if you intend to leave with less than the maximum. If you leave the hardest ones for last, then you will not be able to win the $500,000 whereas if you get the hardest ones over with at the start when you still have all of your helps, then it will be much easier to win the top amount.

    FalconPain wrote:
    I don't see how leaving a giveaway answer in play actually gives you an advantage over taking your biggest risk one round earlier.

    Because if you've left the easiest one for last, then when you've narrowed it down to two people and it's a matter of going home with either $250,000 or $500,000 (the biggest difference in prize in the whole show), then you'll be able to make that choice and win the $500,000, instead of having take the $250,000 because the last two look the same and you can't figure it out.

    paul61 wrote:
    OK, perfect example in tonight's episode. She has three people left and still hasn't used her Mistaken Identity. One of the three people is pretty obvious - the alligator wrestler. What does she do? She picks that one, instead of trying one of the tougher choices. So, then she's left with two hard-to-chose identities, and no Mistaken Identity. So she leaves with $250K. Makes no sense at all to me!

    Bingo! Thank you for being smart, but you only get the home version.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.