An Impractical Jokers Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on truTV

YOUR MOVE, CBS

... I don't know how this meeting actually went down, but this is how I imagine it: 

NBC Exec #1: "ABC has Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Fox is doing Gotham. We need a comic book series! We don't want to be left behind." 

NBC Exec #2: "Left behind? Behind what? The CW?" 

NBC Exec #1: "You're fired. Also, what was that comic book movie starring Keanu Reeves and Shia LaBeouf? Constantine? Let's do that one!" 

Everyone else in the room: *blank stares* 

Random mumbler: "You forgot Tilda Swinton."

NBC Exec #1: "Sweet, it's settled then." [Zap2It]

BUSINESS TIME

... The growing trend of remaking foreign TV shows instead of coming up with new ideas continues; A&E has secured the rights to the French supernatural drama Les Revenants (which translates to The Returned). The series is set in a small town where people start coming back from the dead without having aged at all, and with no recollection of actually dying. There's a rumor that Carlton Cuse (Lost, Bates Motel) is in talks to adapt the project. BUT, if this sounds familiar, perhaps it's because Sundance Channel recently acquired the rights to broadcast the original series, which will air in the U.S. beginning October 31 at 9pm. [Deadline]

... Sticking with the dead theme, TLC's new series Best Funeral Ever (yep, that's right, folks!) will premiere Wednesday, October 23 at 10pm. The series follows the Dallas-based Golden Gate Funeral Home as it prepares the most outrageous funerals ever. And by the way, they don't call them funerals, they call them "home-going celebrations." Now I'm just imagining what Six Feet Under would have been like as a reality show. [TLC via press release]

... A musical version of The Love Boat is charting a course to Las Vegas and is scheduled to dock sometime in 2014. The Love Boats will feature popular songs from the years the show was on the air—1977 to 1986—and promises to bring back some of the risqué details that were original to the book that eventually launched the series. I don't know why I'm telling you any of this, but hey, if you care about it, you only have to wait somewhere between three and 15 months to see it! [Variety]

... Hey everyone in Indianapolis! What's up? If you like Parks and Recreation, you might consider making a trek to Lucas Oil Stadium next week to chance a glance at some of the cast members. Amy Poehler, Aziz, Ansari, Adam Scott, Nick Offerman, Jim O’Heir and everyone's favorite Twitter recapper Retta will be there to film an upcoming episode. [Indianapolis Star]

... The Big Bang Theory returned last night to its biggest ratings ever. 20.44 million viewers tuned in for the Season 7 premiere. That means 20.44 million of you guys were not watching Parks and Recreation. And that means I'm very sad. [CBS via press release]

... Get out your day planners, folks, truTV announced a slew of new premiere dates today. Ready? Impractical Jokers will return October 24 with a performance by Imagine Dragons. South Beach Tow will launch its third season on October 30. Storage Hunters is back on November 5, Guinness World Records Unleashed starts November 7, and World's Dumbest… re-joins the lineup on November 10. The network's new competition series Panic Button, which features contestants facing their worst fears in a haunted house, debuts on December 5, a few days after Full Throttle Saloon Season 5 (December 2) and a couple weeks before Lizard Lick Towing Season 4 and Hardcore Pawn Season 8 close out the year on December 16 and 17, respectively. [truTV via press release]

... Damon Wayans Jr. is teaming up with Fox for his next project. Man/Child is about two single dads who move in together and struggle to strike a balance being a responsible adult and living a life of debauchery. I don't know, that kind of sounds like literally every guy I know, even the ones without children. [Variety]

CASTING NEWS

... Scott Wolf is heading to NBC's midseason drama The Night Shift as a day shift trauma surgeon engaged to Jill Flint's doctor character. Wait... if she's on the night shift and he's on the day shift, how does that relationship work? Nevermind. Sounds perfect. [EW]

... Laura Benanti, who can next be seen on NBC's upcoming live Sound of Music special, is dropping by Elementary! She'll play a nanny who quickly becomes the main suspect in her employer's death. If her employer on the show is NBC's Go On, then she's probably guilty. J/K! Benanti is awesome and definitely not the reason that series failed. It failed because it wasn't any good. J/K again. (Sort of.) [TV Line]

... Hey, Game of Thrones book fans, the role of Hizdahr zo Loraq has finally been cast for the upcoming fourth season of the TV show. This means nothing to those of us who are still trying to finish Book 1, but the role has gone to British actor Joel Fry (10,000 BC). Hizdahr plays a role in Daenerys Targaryen's story. (P.S. Someone please make me a flow chart for this entire series, please.) [EW]

... David Milch's new project, The Money, has scored another big-name actor in Nathan Lane. He'll join Brendan Gleeson in the series about an American media mogul's dynastic family, playing Gordon McCarren, a reporter for the New York Herald who hasn't had a byline in weeks and is desperate for a good story to come along. [Deadline]

REQUIRED VIEWING

Andy Dwyer's doing some teaching and stuff while hanging out in the U.K. Watch him talk about Stonehenge and the other Seven Wonders of the World (including R2D2). [EW]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/22/2016

Season 5 : Episode 22

Next Episode

AIRS ON 10/6/2016

Season 5 : Episode 23

122 Comments
Comments (127)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I know this is mostly just a wishful thinking pipe dream on my part, but there is a small possibility of going old-school Hellblazer with TV John...I'm just sayin' but It seems so far that in spite of DC's total inability to keep up with Marvel's pace with movie franchises, when DC does finally get their ball rolling, I've seen somewhat promising indicators while snorffeling for info that the movie 'verse & the TV 'verse will remain segregated.

That could always change at the drop of a hat, but when I take into account how Arrow is insulated from even mentioning DC superhumans, it gives me a glimmer of hope that TV John will never get anywhere near anyone with a costume.
Flag
Isn't the comic actually called Hellblazer?
Flag
there was once a comic called Hellblazer, yes.
Flag
Hey! I liked Constantine!
Flag
There's a reason why so many men are dropping out of society to become 'manchildren'. It's because the media has destroyed parenthood and marriage as paths to a positive identity. Why grow up and turn into Homer Simpson or Ray Barone when you can live life as a self-serving bachelor forever? We're already overpopulated, right? That aside, the high rate of divorce, as well as the significant bias against men in family court has virtually ensured that men have at least a 50/50 chance of becoming money fountains for children they'll hardly ever see, if at all. Dropping out has become the rational thing to do.
Flag
NBC is famous for jumping on various wagons, but always about a year after other networks.
Flag
Funny thing however..... in the end Gotham sounds like just a other cop show that happened to play in the same fake town of the Batman comics but Batman is not around yet ;)
Flag
Whoa I totally forgot that Shia LaBeouf was in Constantine.
Also: The Love Boooooaaaat. I wish there was a musical reboot on TV, I'd watch it so hard.
Flag
A big question, would people laugh if there was no laugh track? Would the shows be that funny? Would a track actually make Louie/Nurse Jackie funny or more funny or even funny at all? Hmmmmmm.....
Flag
Love Parks and Recreation!( Best comedic cast on TV right now!.. #2 Modern Family) I don't understand the popularity of Big Bang Theory. I have watched may 10-15 minutes in all these years its been on..(NOT FUNNY TO ME) but I know I'm in the minority.
That brings me to Constantine. There is always more room for a SCIFI/SUPERNATURAL/HORROR show. With the right tone, actor, and a little luck it could work. Who would have thought Grimm would have lasted.
I have a pitch for NBC executives!! A show about real life XMEN. Its called Heroes! Ordinary people discover they have great abilities!! What's that? You already had that show? 1st Season was mind blowing?? WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED THEN?? Sorry!! .Had to get that off my chest, BETTER NOW
Flag
I could not watch Big Bang Theory, I tried watching the first few episodes (I have a neighbor kid who loves things like Firefly and Psych thanks to me who thought I would like it).

I once heard it compared to Arrested Development in this way. "Arrested Development is a smart show about stupid characters and Big Bang Theory is a stupid show about smart characters".

I personally prefer smart shows about smart characters but I can't win them all.
Flag
You know how sometimes a show comes along that so connects to who you are as a person that you can't see really be friends with someone that doesn't like the show? I feel that way, but in reverse about Big Bang Theory. I can't see myself being friends with anyone that enjoys that laugh tracked nonsense. Fortunately, I have yet to find out any of my friends watch that show. Park and Rec is fantastic, the delivery and pacing of the dialogue is great. The entire bit on the premier about Andy thinking Buckingham Palace was Hogwarts made me lose it. Pohler was robbed at the Emmy's this year.
Flag
I have seen every episode but when Parks and Rec really kicked in for me was when April and Andy started getting together. The writers took two side characters and put them together and it was done so easily. Also the Bucket List episode when they went out to the Grand Canyon and he was looking for faces!! PRICELESS....LMAOF!! Ben's response to Andy and Buckingham Palace.."Its important to me for you understand THIS is not Hogwarts" LOL
Flag
It is amazing that NBC keeps trash on and cancels the shows that are actually worth watching... like last year's "The New Normal" and the season before's "Are You There, Chelsea?" or even "Bent" was better than most of the "comedies" that they have. Parks And Rec, really? Duh! Up against anything on CBS it doesn't have a prayer.
Flag
It doen't matter what NBC puts on the air. They have alienated half of their viewers with their extreme left wing radical politics. Now they are hatching a plan to boost Obamacare and are calling it "news."

Those alienated viewers will not watch anything on that network.
Flag
I'm more curiosity about the ratings between Hostage and The Blacklist then Thursday Night battle between CBS and NBC. Sure no one is surprise with Thursday by now.

Anyone know about Monday's rating? If Hostage beat The Blacklist?
Flag
I prefer The Blacklist; just more interesting and I think James Spader is a stellar actor. I quite like the idea of constantine coming back; a tv series might allow the story to develop better than the movie did. I know, I know - such hope is just doubt on prozac, but I'll give the idea a go.
Flag
With NBC's habit of retooling shows (especially Heroes) I try to avoid the network like the plague.
Flag
Constantine, really NBC? And especially now that New 52 has gutted the character and readership? That is such an NBC move. Can't wait til you guys learn about what's happening in the burgeoning buggy-whip industry too. Or maybe you've just been sold a bill of goods courtesy of your friends at Warner Bros who have this worthless Hellblazer license and need to pawn it off on some sucker.

The only music I want to hear from The Love Boat is that awesome theme song. Wait, there was a book? Oh man, how did I not know? Captain Stubing never told me!

Sorry about your TBBT ratings trouncing Parks & Rec as more of us tuned into TBBT, it's only because we like laughing more than we like lightly chuckling, smirking, and rolling our eyes.

I will watch Man/Child because Damon Wayans Jr. is funny and I miss "My Two Dads" even if this isn't exactly the same thing.

Glad Scott Wolf is leaving Perception (I assume), his character didn't really work there. The Night Shift sounds blah, sorry bro.
Flag
Actually a good comment about TBBT vs. Parks & Rec. People here have such a fanboy mentality when it comes to multi-cam comedies, or how "mainstream" a show is, regardless of qualtiy. This site's (at least the community part, in most cases) the television equivalent of Pitchfork.
Flag
I was actually really excited to hear about the Constantine series but then I saw it said NBC. I LOVE the story of Constantine! It irks me big time to hear they have destroyed it the New 52 comics.I didn't even know they were doing Constantine. What exactly are they doing with it? I tried reading some from Justice League, Batman, and Superman and found myself ripping my hair out. ! Ugh that pisses me off! New 52 has ruined every character!!!!
Flag
Constantine is the name of the series in New 52 instead of Hellblazer, and he is also leader of Justice League Dark. His backstory has changed, his abilities have been changed, his attitude tuned down, and the art is a digital eyesore. No more sex, swearing, drugs, gore, etc.. Basically, he's been DC'ed.
Flag
OOOH Justice League Dark.. yea I haven't read any of those. He's the leader? John Constantine? oooooook.. And what do you mean no sex, swearing, drugs, and gore? THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF HIM!! So then he's basically just a "superhero" now.. UGH! Do they at least let him light up from time to time? you know... for the stress. oh DC what have you done... They couldn't just 'reboot' it under the Vertigo name? Vertigo is still putting out stories! although they are not as dark anymore..
Flag
They've been consistently destroying Vertigo everything as they roll it into the DC universe. I gave up on DC over crap like this. "I know, let's make him another Doctor Strange, that'll be fun". *headdesk*
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Since the news got me on a major Constantine kick yesterday, I took the liberty of reading JLD up until about issue 16 or so (wiki mentioned that Swamp Thing played a part around then & I had to stick around to see Swampy's retooling) Anyway, this is just my official opinion now that I've read the majority of the run: It's total garbage. Granted, it probably rocks to kids who like their male superheros wearing stupid costumes with bulging muscles & their female superheros wearing tiny costumes with gigantic tits & simply lack the frame of reference of Hellblazer to go on. I can't really blame 'em...If I were the age of its target audience, I'd prolly think it's cool

Overall, It was just really sad to see how much they ruined the character & also learning that G. Del Toro is tapped to make a JLD movie. After reading the comic, the thought of it makes my head hurt

Oh, btw, he does at least still smoke like a chimney

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm going to 'eff off & dig my old comic box out of the attic & get the taste of that new 52 crap outta my head,
More +
Flag
It is pretty sad that more people watched BBT than Parks
Flag
Parks and rec is just not funny compared to TBBT.
Flag
Staff
False. They just have different types of humor.
Flag
Go On was GREAT!

Flag
Keep 'em coming! Series based on comics are fun!

The Returned still sounds interesting.
Flag
I don't know if TPTB will approve of me putting youtube links on here, but if y'all just youtube les revenants trailer, you'll be able to see more of what the deal is...sort of. :)
Flag
John Constantine is one of the 3 comic characters that would make for a truly brilliant TV series (Alan Moore's version of The Swamp Thing & Neil Gaiman's Sandman being the other two)
...however, I'm convinced it's simply not possible for NBC to get Hellblazer right., nor do I think they wanna even try

This is a horrible train wreck waiting to happen & it would have been best to leave it alone
Flag
A Sandman series may still be a long ways off, but Gaiman now has American Gods lined up over on HBO with Tom Hanks setup as producer for several seasons. What would be real fun for me would be a Books of Magick series. You could guest star Constantine, Death, and Zatanna!
Flag
Sandman would be awesome as a series. Also loved the Death character.
Flag
Besides being (imho) the most thought provoking character comics ever had, Death is also cute as a button. Gaiman was brilliant the way he characterized her.

If Constantine's really going to series, since John has had dealings with The Endless before, I'd love to see even the most minor cameo of Death...even if it's just a glimpse out of the corner of his eye
Flag
You forgot about Jack Knight, there was even a pilot script floating around 10 years ago
Flag
Oh, I didn't forget, I just never followed Starman & had to look up who Jack Knight was. heh!
Flag
DC has already ruined Constantine thanks to New 52, it's not even "Hellblazer" anymore. So naturally that's what they'd use to train-wreck it, but since it's also Hollywood they'd change virtually everything about it anyway.
Flag
Yeah, I heard a while back that Hellblazer was canceled in order to reboot Constantine into Justice League Dark. Now, I'm not really clear on how the New 52 works, but I'm currently reading the 1st 6 or so issues of JLD, & while it has a few qualities that doesn't suck, overall it's pretty cringe worthy.
I'm just an old school Iron Age comics fan & with very few exceptions, I don't like DC superheroes overall. I was all about the insulated Vertigoverse...Hell, even on the Marvel side I really just stuck to The Punisher, Ghost Rider, X-Men & The 'Nam...but I digress. Anyway, just because David Goyer is to be writing the J. Constantine show, it doesn't really inspire confidence. He did well with the first two Batman flicks, but then again, he did Man of Steel too ::shrug:: oh well.
Flag
It didn't exactly work like that; DC did the 52 reboot but left Vertigo alone so there were two John Constantine's around and they weren't supposed to be exactly the same character. The New 52 version started to get a bit of traction in his own right, so New 52 Constantine gets his own title while the Original\Vertigo\Hellblazer Constantine gets cancelled at issue 300
Flag
Goyer has such a mixed history of writing. Often when he collaborates you get genius but on his own you often get highly derivative drivel.
Flag
Blade: The Series.
Flag
You finally mentioned Les Revenants! Yay! People should give it a try! It's really good! It's slow paced, so if you want blood anf guts exploding 24/7, then you should not watch this! It has a twin peaks feel to it and yes...season 1 ends with more questions than answers. That being said, there will be a second season, so obviously a lot will be solved then. It's actually one of the best shows that I've seen during this year! I highly recommend it to all of you who are into deep, artsy and creepy thriller shows!
Flag
It's not on Netflix :(

Is there somewhere I can watch it with english subtitles?
Flag
I watched it on 4oD (where you can watch shows that air on channel 4 in the UK) when it was aired in the UK, but the episodes aren't available anymore. They have them up for a certain amount of time before they take them down. I'm afraid I'm not much help here. However, if you google 'the returned with english subtitles', you might find something. If not..you might have to wait until it airs on the sundance channel. Hope you get to watch it!
Flag
Thanks, I'm gonna try and track it down. If not, my French isn't that rusty, I might just watch it without the subtitles.
Flag
*and
Flag
I didn’t like Les Revenants. It was really weird and confusing and rather boring. The ending was not at all satisfying, creating more questions than it answered. I will not watch a remake of it ...
Flag
The ending left with more questions, because there's going to be a second season. As for the potential remake, I highly agree with you!
Flag
Man/Child sounds like it will likely suck, but I've officially become a fan of Damon Wayans Jr., so I'll have to give it a try.
Flag
"Go On ....failed because it wasn't any good."
Them's fightin' words; alleged joke or not
Flag
It would have been funny if instead of a picture of Keanu Reeves, you'd put a picture of Sting on the front page to illustrate the Constantine blurb. Three quarters of the readers would probably have blank stares then. Would it be too much to hope that NBC's Constantitne be blond and British?
Flag
wouldnt Contstantine and Grimm be basically the same thing?
Flag
Constantine is too dark to be properly done by a network like NBC.
Flag
Tend to agree that a cable production would be preferable but then I have a little hope having seen Hannibal though that was an exception
Flag
Constantine? Gotham? The Wizard of Oz? Enough! I mean, I don't deny remakes/ reimaging's can be good, but it really makes me mourn for originality in the television industry.
Flag
I can't watch the required viewing video with Andy because I'm Canadian! This better not effect my grade or I'll be pissed. Seriously though if anyone knows where I can watch it without having to be in the US that would be great.
Flag
Doing a faithful Constantine series is bound to be tricky as he's often not the freelance exorcist the movie made him out to be. He is a con man and a cheat who rarely uses magic, but instead favors fancy trickery and misdirection to outwit or overcome foes whether they be human, demon, spirit, or any other random entity. Still, lets all hope the show can manage the dark and gloomy like Hannibal, but keep the double worldly appeal of Grimm, and with any luck the dark and morbid type humor of Supernatural.
Flag
Hannibal meets Grimm and Supernatural? Now that's a show I would watch.
Flag
Hell Yes! Me too!
Flag
I liked the movie, Constantine. Lets see what they do with the show.

I'd rather watch Les Revenants than its remake just like The Bridge.
Flag
Mmmmm, Jill Flint, the only reason I ever watched Royal Pains.

Flag
Hey, I'll take another comic project over another damn lawyer/cop procedural any day.
Flag
Or doctor drama.
Flag
I actually enjoyed the Constantine movie and he isn't too bad in Justice League Dark, but if they did make a TV show based on him, wouldn't be just like Supernatural, or Grimm, or Sleepy Hollow. He isn't exactly a super hero in costume that fights crime. I'm interested but NBC already has difficulty brining new shows to life without the help of the Voice.
Flag
Why O Why did NBC come up with a Constantine series. Why are we being so punished? Why?
Flag
Hey! Don't be dissing Go On! It was definitely good. It was just that... not enough people watched it, I guess. Sigh.
Flag
Staff
It was a joke. The ratings are exactly why it wasn't renewed. It was a bummer to see that happen.
Flag
Tim has failed to properly mentor you in the ways of the TV.com news article snark. They think you are not yet ready to strike out on your own, young knight (knightess?), for you have unintentionally taken up the banner of their sworn enemy: NBC.
Flag
Every other editor at TV.com loved Go On. Kaitlin's new.
Flag
I was seconds away from posting an identical comment.
Flag
A properly done Hellblazer/Constantine TV show could be amazing. The key words there are "properly done", though, and we are talking NBC here. Still, they somehow managed to produce (and renew) Hannibal, so maybe they have another good show or two left in them.
Flag
I can't believe you talked shit about Go On, that show was seriously solid.

The things that made Constantine work were how dark it was and probably that it was a one-off deal. as much as I like the idea of a series if it could live up to the film I really don't see that happening. especially not on network tv where it would be doomed to be as dull as revolution and grimm.

I like the way you don't link to or mention where we might know the people you name drop from. namely Jill Flint and Laura Benanti, coincidentally both Royal Pains alums.

I guess I should assume Scott Wolf's new gig will mean he's departing Perception and likewise Benanti's gigs mean she probably won't be on Royal Pains any any longer?
Flag
I'm actually really excited to see this Constantine project. The movie was pretty bad, but as a fan of the comics, trust me when I say that there is a rich history of a really fascinating character that will translate really well to TV (maybe not NBC though, that part worries me).

I'd rather watch this than the CW's Flash or this new Gotham project, assuming that Jim Gordon won't be played by Gary Oldman in the show.
Flag
That Constantine film was an unholy abomination of the source material, the series would be much better if they stick to the comic Canon. It would even be better to get the Justice League Dark included somewhat.
Flag
The fact you support a Justice League Dark approach and not the classic Hellblazer while wanting to maintain the comic canon makes you the unholy abomination in my eyes.
Flag
You're both right., minus the abomination part.
Flag
Doesn't ABC have RESURRECTION coming on this season - another dead people come back to life in small town show?
Flag
Constantine? Really? Was the Movie any good? I didn't see it because after Matrix Revolutions I developed a pretty winning strategy of no more Keanu Reeves movies, ever. And that has been working great thus far. But it seems like they took their best two shows in the whole fighting of strange things with Grimm and overall fun and creepy Hannibal and are trying to combine the two and add in a superhero because they have no ideas and that is the new trend. So basically it is NBC being NBC and it is likely going to be horrible like 99% of NBC's ideas that they don't somehow trip over and get lucky with.
Flag
Forget the shitty movie; the source material is gold. You can't judge everything by its bad movie adaptation, you know -- there's a lot of those going around.
Flag
But this is NBC and it will be bad. *cough* The Cape *cough*
Flag
SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!!!
Flag
What would make for a really great show to redeem a horrible movie would be a Jonah Hex series. Sort of a Deadwood meets Supernatural.
Flag
I loved the Constantine movie. Though that could be because I'm an unapologetic fan of Keanu Reeves and any music that involves Klaus Badelt. I may watch the show. If they cast good people for it.

Also, Hizdahr! Hated him in the books, personally. That might just be because I'm a big Daario fan, though.
Flag
Every day, we inch a little closer to "Aquaman: The Series" becoming a reality.
Flag
I think I remember something in Revelations about that... and then some guy on a white horse shows up...
Flag
Ironically, the CW filmed an Aquaman pilot a few years back starring Justin Hartley {just before he was cast as Green Arrow on Smallville} and Ving Rhames.
Flag
I was thinking the same thing .... and knowing NBC they'd green-light it, it would suck, it would get 10 seasons
Flag
I was thinking more along the lines of it would be so ridiculous and stupid that it becomes awesome
Flag
It could fall into the so bad it's good category - for sure.
Flag
Scott Wolf will be on the Night Shift, not Scott Foley.
Flag
Staff
Eh, what's the difference? Just kidding. Thanks for pointing that out. It's been a long week.
Flag
AH NBC why do u never allow people outside of the states to see your videos!!!

& are comic book series now the new thing? well at least its better than vampires right?... right?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members