Imus In The Morning Forums

Weekdays 6:00 AM on MSNBCIn Season

Fire The RACIST in the Morning

RizNYC

[1]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 5

Don Imus' comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team are just the latest in his running stream of racist comments and skits he does with Bernard McGuirk. As someone who listened to Imus for years, I know this firsthand and can give many examples (his racist parodies of maya angelou, calling Serena and Venus Williams "monkeys" whose pictures belong in "National Geographic" and McGuirk's repeated use of the N-word).  He has made this his pattern and it has to stop now. With his firing. There is no place for his disgusting brand of humor.  As Imus loves to say, it's time to "get out.  Just get out."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

chocolatemafia

[2]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 11

Fire him pleaseeeeeeeeeee!

RizNYC

[3]Apr 11, 2007
    Well I have written about 8 emails and I plan to go to the protest march so I'm doing my part go get him out!

shotime1979

[4]Apr 11, 2007
    • level: 65
    RizNYC wrote:
    Well I have written about 8 emails and I plan to go to the protest march so I'm doing my part go get him out!

Are you going to protest against some rappers too?...

RizNYC

[5]Apr 12, 2007

shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

Yeah, starting with Eminem. 

Your point is so silly. Why don't we just let a child molester who is caught go free because "other people are doing the same thing."  Ridiculous.

shotime1979

[6]Apr 12, 2007
    RizNYC wrote:

shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

Your point is so silly. Why don't we just let a child molester who is caught go free because "other people are doing the same thing." Ridiculous.

When the hell did I say anything about a child molester?...Your comparison sucks.

RizNYC

[7]Apr 12, 2007
    shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

Your point is so silly. Why don't we just let a child molester who is caught go free because "other people are doing the same thing." Ridiculous.

When the hell did I say anything about a child molester?...Your comparison sucks.

No. Your point is ridiculous.  You are defending Imus' racism and sexism by saying that other people have done the same thing. That is akin to saying, why target a child molester who's been caught when we know there are others out there who have not been prosecuted.  And that makes no sense.

And you also are factually wrong. I urge you to google "C. Delores Tucker" and "rap." Ms. Tucker along with the COngressional black caucus, black ministers, activists and regular citizens led one of this biggest anti-bad lyric campaigns in history.  So you are WRONG. There have been many protests against offensive lyrics in the portion of rap music that is misogynistic.

Again, this is all just deflecting attention from Imus' ongoing racist comments and skits and his horrible attack on 18 and 19 year old girls who did nothing to him. Is he a racist? Who knows. But his comments definitely were.

And let's not forget his buddy Bernard calling them "igaboos". Is that okay with you too?

Imus has been doing this crap for years. And now he's done. CBS has just axed him too!!!!  BYE BYE SLIMUS!!

Father_Time89

[8]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 2
    RizNYC wrote:
    shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

No. Your point is ridiculous.  You are defending Imus' racism and sexism by saying that other people have done the same thing. That is akin to saying, why target a child molester who's been caught when we know there are others out there who have not been prosecuted.  And that makes no sense.

Wrong he is saying that ANY black rapper can say that and worse and the black community will not care. Yet suddenly a white man says something not even that bad to begin with and OH MY GOD HE'S BRING OUT THE TORCHES. In a nutshell this means when someone says something you treat them differently depending on their race . . . and you accuse Imus of being racist. You might have had protests in the past but today you don't.

RizNYC

[9]Apr 13, 2007
    Father_Time89 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:
    shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

Wrong he is saying that ANY black rapper can say that and worse and the black community will not care. Yet suddenly a white man says something not even that bad to begin with and OH MY GOD HE'S BRING OUT THE TORCHES. In a nutshell this means when someone says something you treat them differently depending on their race . . . and you accuse Imus of being racist. You might have had protests in the past but today you don't.

Could you put up an argument that at least makes sense? 

As I said in the same exact post you only partially quote, there have been massive protests against offensive rap lyrics.  So you are WRONG too.  I even gave you the name of someone to google to find articles about it. 

And for more FACTS, google Michael Ray Richardson and "fired."  The former NBA player was FIRED from his coaching job 3 weeks ago for saying to the media that he had  "good lawyers. Jew lawyers."  And he is Black. No suspension. No slap on the wrist. He was fired.

And finally I specifically said in that same post "Is Imus a racist? Who knows" so I am clearly not accusing him of being a racist.  So once again, you are wrong.

And so was Imus. Which is why he's gone!!

shotime1979

[10]Apr 14, 2007
    RizNYC wrote:

And finally I specifically said in that same post "Is Imus a racist? Who knows" so I am clearly not accusing him of being a racist.

You're an idiot...What's the name of the topic, that YOU started?...."Fire the RACIST in the Morning"....Oh, I'm sorry...Did I just prove you wrong?...I think so...

RizNYC

[11]Apr 14, 2007
    shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:

And finally I specifically said in that same post "Is Imus a racist? Who knows" so I am clearly not accusing him of being a racist.

You're an idiot...What's the name of the topic, that YOU started?...."Fire the RACIST in the Morning"....Oh, I'm sorry...Did I just prove you wrong?...I think so...

It was a play on the name of his show.  As I said, I don't know if he is a racist. but his remarks and his dumb skits most certainly are racist.

Synetech

[12]Apr 14, 2007
    • level: 22
    RizNYC wrote:
    shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:
    shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:
    Yeah, starting with Eminem. Your point is so silly. Why don't we just let a child molester who is caught go free because "other people are doing the same thing." Ridiculous.
    No. Your point is ridiculous. You are defending Imus' racism and sexism by saying that other people have done the same thing. That is akin to saying, why target a child molester who's been caught when we know there are others out there who have not been prosecuted. And that makes no sense.

You're analogy is flawed. If you insist on using a pedophile analogy, then you should use this one: "Lots of people openly molest children and society tolerates it, so why is it that when this one person did it, suddenly society isn't so accepting of it? Why is it okay for those people to molest children, but not these people?" (These and those are generic placeholders in the analogy; they're not meant to refer to blacks or whites.)

RizNYC

[13]Apr 15, 2007

Synetech wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:
    shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:
    shotime1979 wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:
    Yeah, starting with Eminem. Your point is so silly. Why don't we just let a child molester who is caught go free because "other people are doing the same thing." Ridiculous.
    No. Your point is ridiculous. You are defending Imus' racism and sexism by saying that other people have done the same thing. That is akin to saying, why target a child molester who's been caught when we know there are others out there who have not been prosecuted. And that makes no sense.
    You're analogy is flawed. If you insist on using a pedophile analogy, then you should use this one: "Lots of people openly molest children and society tolerates it, so why is it that when this one person did it, suddenly society isn't so accepting of it? Why is it okay for those people to molest children, but not these people?" (These and those are generic placeholders in the analogy; they're not meant to refer to blacks or whites.)

Well to tell you the truth my analaogy is imperfect. Correct. but so is the Imus/rap analogy. Honestly, I think it's dumb and a patheric excuse to try and take heat off Imus. Rap is music. The portion of songs that mention these words are not attacking a specific group of women in society, like the Rutgers women's basketball team. And if Snoop or someone else did that, they should and would be heavily condemened. But saying no artist, singer/actor can't use bad words to me is silly.

So are we going to ban every Tarantino film now because they use the n-word? Are we going to get rid of Deniro films because of the glorification of violence? We better not! So why get on rappers? Imus is a media figure who attacked a group of girls in college on a national news channel and syndicated radio in a racist/sexist manner. And he is insulted NUMEROUS black journalists, athletes and other public figures. He's an idiot.  There is no comparison. 

Kduane

[14]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 1
    When the Black Community steps up I`ll listen , until then it doesn`t mean nothing. It isn`t White Men holding down Black Women. It`s Black Men.

RizNYC

[15]Apr 15, 2007

Kduane wrote:
    When the Black Community steps up I`ll listen , until then it doesn`t mean nothing. It isn`t White Men holding down Black Women. It`s Black Men.

K Duane -- Your comments reflect ignorance. When is the white community going to step up and stop Tarantino from glorifying violence? Or what Wachowski bros that made a movie the columnbine shooters mimiced? Or Marilyn manson?  That comment is pure ignorance. Imus is a fool. And thus....HE'S GONE!!!!! LOL. 

SoylentYellow

[16]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 21

Personally I cant stand Don IMESS and was happy to see that John Kerry supporter go down in flames. Though I have to say Im suprised he was shot down by the likes of Jessie Jackson and Al "Tawana Brawley" Sharpton.

There are certain rules in the world TV that broadcasters (white men in particular) must follow.

In general jokes and comments about groups (minorities, gays and women) can only be said by members of the group in question. Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle can make jokes about blacks because they are black. Gay jokes are ok as long as the people saying them are gay or they are on gay themed shows. Jokes about women can be made only by other women; if they are made by men they are sexist. The Mind of Mencia is a good example in the hispanic community - this show is ok because Mencia is Hispanic - if he were white and named Smith, it would be picketed and boycotted off the air. There are some exceptions - example. Rosie ODonnell can make jokes about Asians (like the time she said Ching Chong Ching Chong and squinting her eyes) because she is a rabid liberal, lesbian and a woman - what I call the Trifecta.

White men cannot make jokes about any of the above groups or its curtains - they (and everone else) can however make jokes/comments about Rednecks, Christians and any other group perceived to be white oriented . Jokes/comments about Jews are only ok if they come from other Jews (like Jerry Seinfeld) or Jessie Jackson. Jokes about Muslims are forbidden by everyone; which is why there are few if any Muslim comedians.

That said, IMESS is and has always been a shock Jock who pushed the envelope - though he did it one too many times. More than likely he will end up alongside Howard Stern on satellite radio and rake in $100 million+ deal.

Edited on 04/15/2007 12:57pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Kduane

[18]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 1
    A vote against Imus will be a vote against Rap and if it isn`t I want to see Imus back on TV. This is all about Free Speech and If Blacks can say it , Whites can say it. Thats equality!

Synetech

[19]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 22
    RizNYC wrote:
    Well to tell you the truth my analaogy is imperfect. Correct. but so is the Imus/rap analogy. Honestly, I think it's dumb and a patheric excuse to try and take heat off Imus. Rap is music. The portion of songs that mention these words are not attacking a specific group of women in society, like the Rutgers women's basketball team. And if Snoop or someone else did that, they should and would be heavily condemened. But saying no artist, singer/actor can't use bad words to me is silly.

So it would have been okay by you if he had used the term in a general statement, something like "nappy-headed hos play the best basketball?"

RizNYC

[20]Apr 16, 2007

Synetech wrote:
    RizNYC wrote:
    So it would have been okay by you if he had used the term in a general statement, something like "nappy-headed hos play the best basketball?"

Of course not, because he said the term to humilate them and get laughs. I'm sure from your comment you are a rap expert, but the use of the term is just not the same.  And again, Imus went at SPECIFIC people. I don't know why there is any comparison. When Deniro is saying he's going to cut a some m---f---er's head off are we to take that as an acceptable way to talk about white people?  When we hear insulting remarks about Jews by a white actor in a film should I go home and think "okay, now I can make a joke about that to Jewish people who don't even know me and it's okay?" NO, that's ridiculous.  And honestly, it's idiotic. Which is why this rap comparison is so dumb. I rarely use words like "dumb" in a debate but I am shocked that so many people hear this spin doctored line  and believe it. It has no logical foundation whatsoever.  It was a very weak defense by Imus.  He knew what he was doing. His insults don't come from rap. Take it from someone who has actually listened to a lot of rap music and also listend to IMUS (yes, I used to listen to his show for about 2 years). He, Bernie, Rob Bartlett and Chuck make scripts that mimic black people by having a white man do it and sound as racially stereotypical as possible. When Bernard pretends to be Maya Angelou, a Nobel Laureate and talks about going to a "crack house for a hit" that's intentionally offensive. It has nothing to do with rap.

When he says Barack Obama is raising campaign funds by selling drugs, he again is just mocking him for his race (and Obama is only 1/2 Black. Imagine if he were 100%!!!).  This is a modern day version of a racist minstrel show. The only think missing is Bernard and Bartlett wearing black face.  It goes on. When he says that Venus and Serena williams look like monkeys and belong in "national geographic", again, he is not getting this from music. He is saying historically racist remarks. And it's 100% intentional. Believe me, I don't think Imus is a neo-nazi. I think he is trying to get laughs. But his method is racist and sexist. And he finally got busted for it.  And this is not the first time people have complained to him about it. It's actually why I had to stop listening to his show. He and Bernie just go too far. White people can make fun of Black people. It happens all the time. BUt Imus took it too far and attacking some 18 and 19 year old girls was the last straw.

So as Imus loves to say he needed to "get out. Just get out." It's time for Imus to hit 
    the dog track."  LOL (if you are REALLY an Imus fan, you'll get those jokes).