In Justice Forums

ABC (ended 2006)

Official discussion thread: "The Public Burning" (Spoilers)

phf3947

[1]Feb 17, 2006
    • level: 71
    Please discuss "The Public Burning" in this thread.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

empirejeff

[2]Feb 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    This felt the Boston Legal episode "Deat Be Not Proud."

kopeckee

[3]Feb 17, 2006
    • level: 20
    another good episode...

quigley_lib

[4]Feb 17, 2006
    • level: 13
    I'm stunned. They actually killed him. The episode was great but for now all I can say is... they killed him?!

Dawnsdinosaurs

[5]Feb 17, 2006
    • level: 40
    This episode proves this show just keeps getting better and better. I can't believe of all the cases they lose it was this one. Once again the actors did a great job. Marisol Nichols really shined in this one. I also loved the scene with Brianna and Jon talking in Swain's office with everyone on cots. Next episode looks like it's also going to be a good one.

Azarai

[6]Feb 17, 2006
    • level: 6
    I Like the show a lot. I think it's really good, and a neat twist on the Procedurals. However, it'd be even better if they went to Court more often. Otherwise, it's awesome. Mclachlan's char rocks, he's really funny. Lol.

Dawnsdinosaurs

[7]Feb 17, 2006
    Azarai wrote:
    I Like the show a lot. I think it's really good, and a neat twist on the Procedurals. However, it'd be even better if they went to Court more often. Otherwise, it's awesome. Mclachlan's char rocks, he's really funny. Lol.

I really think the amount of time depends on the case, in "Confessions" they did a lot more court then in the others. It could use a little more court. I'm personally hoping next year to have a few stories go more than one episode.

dianadas

[8]Feb 18, 2006
    • level: 3
    This episode put me on the edge of my seat to the very last second. The topic was daring and I'm still....speechless.

BouncyBrunette

[9]Feb 18, 2006
    • level: 2
    dianadas wrote:
    This episode put me on the edge of my seat to the very last second. The topic was daring and I'm still....speechless.

Me Too .. I was crying while watching and the ending was a total shock and really unexpected ..

Pam

LoneTread

[10]Feb 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    *nods* I was crying, too. I still can't believe they actually killed him.

And yet, somehow, it was still a great episode. I don't know how they do it. Amazing....

movethatbus

[11]Feb 19, 2006
    • level: 15
    i was rly mad that they killed him

i got some ppl i no to watch this ep. cuz i told them the show was rly good and now i have to convince them to watch another ep. cuz they dont like that the guy got killed

phf3947

[12]Feb 19, 2006
    movethatbus wrote:
    i got some ppl i no to watch this ep. cuz i told them the show was rly good and now i have to convince them to watch another ep. cuz they dont like that the guy got killed

Expect a certain degree of verisimilitude from this series that is lacking in other procedurals. "In Justice" makes a person think. After feeling shocked and outraged at the ending, one question on everyone's mind should have been could this work of fiction actually happen? What we saw in "The Public Burning" could happen, and probably has happened more than people would care to admit. Frank Benner was on death row and would have been executed if the National Justice Project had not been there trying to free him. They were too late. Bringing to light the many injustices inherent in our legal system is what many of us want to see in future episodes.
    Edited on 02/19/2006 6:45pm

BouncyBrunette

[13]Feb 19, 2006
    • level: 2
    phf3947 wrote:
    movethatbus wrote:

Expect a certain degree of verisimilitude from this series that is lacking in other procedurals. "In Justice" makes a person think. After feeling shocked and outraged at the ending, one thought on everyone's mind should be could this work of fiction actually happen. What we saw in "The Public Burning" could happen, and probably has happened more than people would care to admit. Frank Benner was on death row and would have been executed if the National Justice Project had not been there trying to free him. They were too late. Bringing to light the many injustices inherent in our legal system is what many of us want to see in future episodes.

I agree .. One thing which makes In Justice unique is that is is not always the happy ending and that's believable .. I cried watching this ep BUT yey found it thought-provoked and bringing to light that which has happened .. Has it changes how my feelings are about the Death Penalty ? No .. I still belive using the Death Penalty has its merits BUT one thing this ep did get the point across was corruption and it got the point avross realistically which is why this ep worked and got response whether postive or negative and controversary aside TPTB are showing they're not afraid to take risks in the plots and IMO that's refreshing :-)

Pam

Dawnsdinosaurs

[14]Feb 19, 2006
    This is the first episode where things didn't go the way they were supposed to. It doesn't make it a bad episode, as a matter of fact I think that's why this was such a great episode. If they solved every single case it would be boring, why watch you know the ending. It was inevitable that they were going to lose one. They did it with a guy you couldn't help feeling sorry for.

This is one of the things the show had been criticized for they always get the guy out and find the right killer. I'm sure as mentioned in many comments here and in other forums, in time we'll have a few that we'll get to the end and they will figure out the guy is really guilty and drop the case, or get someone out and realize they were guilty, this is what will get people to keep coming back and watching, not knowing for sure if the person is going to get out or not.

I do have to say that I was surprised at who was actually the killer. That's what I like about this show, its not usually who I suspected at first.

movethatbus

[15]Feb 21, 2006
    i didnt mind the ending because like you said it was thought-provoking and more realistic. They can't always get the person out of jail or save them just cuz it would make the show too predictable. This was probably the best ep. for them to not save the person cuz it was the worst consequence.

good news is i think i convinced my friends to watch another ep. this fri. so apparently they didnt mind the ending as much as i thought they were going to

phf3947

[16]Feb 21, 2006
    movethatbus wrote:
    good news is i think i convinced my friends to watch another ep. this fri. so apparently they didnt mind the ending as much as i thought they were going to

And the bad news for your friends is there won't be a new episode this Friday - "In Justice" will be preempted The next new episode is scheduled for March 3rd

Edited on 02/21/2006 3:20pm

Rhino3434

[17]Feb 21, 2006
    • level: 6
    Awesome episode!

Like the rest of you guys, I was totally shocked and saddened that they went ahead and killed the guy. I kept waiting for the judge to come barging in just in time to stop the injection.

As much as i was hoping for that, I have to say that I guess it's probably a good thing for the show that they actually weren't able to save the guy for a change. I love Boston Legal but they win about 95% of their cases so it does take some of the suspense out of the show. But the characters in that show are so good I guess it doesn't really matter.

And the In Justice characters are all developing quite nicely so hopefully it won't matter too much if the innocent people get freed 95% of the time on this show too.

movethatbus

[18]Feb 22, 2006
    Rhino3434 wrote:
    I kept waiting for the judge to come barging in just in time to stop the injection.

i kept expecting the same thing

i saw that theres not gonna be a new ep. this fri. cuz of the olympics...i think thats what it was