In Plain Sight

Jailbait

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jul 12, 2009 on USA

• Mary and Ralph get engaged. Mary and Marshall help a man with a spoiled daughter.

4.5
    The first 80% of the episode was good. I love Francia Raisa. She was great in The Cutting Edge 3, and is currently on The Secret Life of an American Teenager. I also love the guy that played her dad in the episode, Carlos Gomez.
    I liked this episode, and way enjoying myself...until the end. What the #@$$ was that? Mary, engaged? I don't think so. It might have ruined the whole show for me. I don't know if I'll even continue to watch it.

I hate it when writers ruin a show because of some bad match up. Come on writers...get it together!!!
  • Jesus Moreno enters the witness program to testify against his former Mob Boss Felix Calderon. His daughter Olivia is not happy with the situation and causes some problems. Raph's Mother comes from the Dominican Republic for Raph and Mary's engagement.

A filler episode with some big news at the end. The script was a little slow at times and predictable but we got a major curve at the end of the story.

When a witness who is part of a mob family is testifying against the family it is paramount to keep their family members safe. Olivia the daughter is not realistic when she thinks she can be with the Boss' son when his father is the target of the testimony. The son of Felix Calderon is obviously using her and in the end the daughter realizes the truth and allows her father to testify. I think the interesting part was the misconception that Jesus had been the target. In the end we find out that his wife had been all along and that she had been cheating and blackmailing Felix. All Jesus wanted to do was to protect his daughter at any cost.

Talk about misconception and misunderstanding. Raph's Mother shows up to throw an engagement party for Raph and Mary. Jinx and Brandi go along with it as they believe it is just something that will make the woman happy and then she will go home to the Dominican Republic and that will be the end of it.

I find it interesting that because of Mary's past with her mistrust of men in general that it would take a situation like this to really bring her to a major decision. The combination that Raph had bought the ring six months before he proposed and the fact that he is giving up baseball were major story changes. He has always been there for her and now at least in the moment she is committing to him finally as well. Nice scene at the end when she fumbles through his pockets to find the ring and puts it on and then says yes. Excellent ending to an interesting episode.

The acting was great and I really enjoyed the episode. I feel the major storyline was a little weak so I give this an 8.5 for that reason. Thanks for reading...
  • No excuse for this.

3.5
    I'm a huge fan of In Plain Sight and despite the lackluster ratings this second season has been getting the show still deserves some accolades, praise and a possible Emmy nomination for Mary McCormack. All of that being said, there was no excuse for an episode this bad. Nothing here was exciting, Mary's jokes completely fell flat, the drama just wasn't there in this forced mob employee takes down mob boss storyline and the stuff with Mary and Raph's mother was unbelievably painful.

If this show would just focus on Mary, Marshall and Stan and the witnesses I think more people would tune in. But the family members just leave a bad taste in everybody's mouth.
  • Mary deals with drama in her personal life while trying to keep a former mob lietenant and his daughter safe.

This one started slow, but I really liked it in the end. There were some great one-liners, as usual. I wasn't sure what was going on when Rafe's mom showed up and all the talk about Rafe getting fat (from Mary jokingly), and wow was I surprised when I did find out. Whoa! The case this week had some gratuitous lingerie scenes, but ended up being kinda compelling. Although, I think it took a little too long for the daughter to figure things out. But she did in the end. The cheif mob guy wasn't all that smart. Seriously, what did he think was going to happen after he killed Jesus' wife? Surely he knew he was going to be angry. Oh, and time must really be different in plain sight land because Rafe says he asked Mary to marry him several months ago. Aren't we halfway through season 2? Even considering him hurting his knee and hurting his hand, that's 9 months. I really couldn't wrap my mind around the timeline. And ofcourse - that ending. That was so in character for Mary. And I think a brave move on the producer's parts to have her Rafe be seriously engaged. Hope he doesn't like . . . die or something, now. I've always thought he was adorable, and I just love the way they've integrated him all over the place. I wonder what's next for his character. All in all, I liked the second half far more than the first half.