In Search of.....

(ended 1982)

mrdivot

In Search of..... Fan Reviews (5)

7.6
  • Fun at the time, but not to be taken seriously

5.1
    I used to like watching this show in the late '70s, in that dead hour between the evening news and prime time, alongside shows like The Muppet Show and That's Hollywood.

Part of me wishes I could watch this again, if only for the nostalgia value and the odd, whining title theme. But another part has come to admit just how ridiculous the show really was. The mid '70s had quite a bit of exploration of outlandish theories. There were primetime specials investigating Bigfoot, Noah's Ark, the Loch Ness Monster, Atlantis, the Bermuda Triangle, you name it. Erik von Daniken's "Chariots of the Gods" book was a bestseller. Maybe it was a product of the era. The nation seemed on the brink, what with the Cold War at its peak, the energy crisis, the terrible recession and double-digit inflation. We wanted to escape, to believe that maybe there were things out there far beyond our mundane world. This show did its best to address that. Anything resembling an unsolved mystery (no pun intended) got its 15 (okay, 30 before commercials) minutes of fame here, lent gravitas and an air of legitimacy by Leonard Nimoy's sonorous voice and the narration that always seemed to hedge on all points but which nonetheless always seemed to favor the more incredible "possiblities."

But when it all comes down to it, you have to admit it was just window dressing on what were basically crackpot theories. After all, if you honestly look at it after three decades, not a single one of their far-out theories have panned out and a great many have been debunked. Just look at the very first episode. Can we communicate with plants? Plants??? They tried to make it plausible with mentions of Kirlian photography and other pseudoscientific phenomena, but no reputable scientist would deem this anything other than entertainment.