In Treatment Forums

HBO (ended 2010)

What kind of therapist is he ???

allways_ty

[1]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 19
    A psychologist, a psychiatrist or just a therapist ???? Anyone knows ????
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sheli20

[2]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 8
    He is definitely not a psychiatrist
    but I'm not sure what is the difference between a psychologist and a therapist.

Smachary

[3]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 5
    He is a pyschotherapist

allways_ty

[4]Mar 12, 2008

For someone to be a psychologist you have to go to college for something like 4 to 5 years and lear all kinds of theories from Freud, to Yung, Rogers, and others.

When you are a therapist you dont neet college, you just have some courses about the human mind.

I think, for the money that he charges that he is a psychologist or a psychoanalist (Freudian like)

sheli20

[5]Mar 13, 2008
    • level: 8
    allways_ty wrote:

For someone to be a psychologist you have to go to college for something like 4 to 5 years and lear all kinds of theories from Freud, to Yung, Rogers, and others.

When you are a therapist you dont neet college, you just have some courses about the human mind.

I think, for the money that he charges that he is a psychologist or a psychoanalist (Freudian like)

yes definitely. he is a psychologist then.
    In his talks with Gina it came up I think, his years at the "department" and the fact he didn't get tenure because of her weak recommendation etc.

allways_ty

[6]Mar 23, 2008
    thanks

Lliinn

[7]May 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    no offence here but it actually Carl Gustaf Jung.. (hes from Switzerland) if anyones intrested so they dont get to read about the wrong guy.. xD

Lliinn

[8]May 25, 2008
    oh fuk i can delete it.. its spelled gustav* haha (i normally spell gustav with an f.. my bad!

alexd88

[9]Jul 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    Laura alluded to his medical school training, and would you really call yourself Doctor if you are not a psychiatrist? Unless you had a PhD of course.

LadyInque

[10]Dec 14, 2008
    • level: 24

Maybe its a psycologist

DistortedDuck

[11]May 30, 2009
    • level: 10
    well, he's a psychotherapist. over here, in order to become a therapist you have to finish your masters in psychology first (5 years of attending university) and after that you have to take an extra training (about 3 years) in one of the many sub-fields (e.g. analytical therapy, client-centered therapy, psychodynamic psychotherapy, systemic therapy, behavioural therapy,...)

sphere2k

[12]Jun 3, 2009

Well, I'm not so familiar with the situation in the US. From hat I could find on the net, "psychotherapist" seems to be a title that can be used by all sorts of professionals (physicians, psychotherapists, social workers etc.) after some kind of training (which differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction). In Germany, e.g., only doctors and psychologists (after 6 resp. 5 yrs. of university and another 3 yrs. of training from an accredited psychotherapy institute) may call themselves psychotherapists.

Anyway, Paul Weston, according to what he says in Season 2, Ep. 1, got his BA and MS (in Psychology, I assume) from Columbia and his PhD from The New School.

Panda_Flutterby

[13]Aug 6, 2009
    • level: 7
    Yes, therapist is an additional education you can place on top of your master in psychology, physiology, sociology, whatever, and by doing that become a therapist in your field.
    A psychotherapist is a psychologist with a therapeutic education, which seems to be what Paul is, seeing how he's knows his psychology and works as a therapist
    If you add therapist to regular doctor you get a psychiatric. Someone who calls him or herself just "therapist" might not have any degree apart from "talk-training".

mackymacaspac

[14]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 78
    It was mentioned in one of his sessions with Mia that he earned a PhD. No mention about the field or from what school.

I'm pretty sure he's a pyschotherapist. He's definitely not a psychiatrist ('cause it was never mentioned that he has a medical degree) and not a psychopharmacologist (since he referred Walter to one).

alexd88 wrote:
    Laura alluded to his medical school training, and would you really call yourself Doctor if you are not a psychiatrist? Unless you had a PhD of course.

NoraJane

[15]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 6
    I think he mentioned at one point that he's a psychotherapist. That means that he went to college and did an additional course on therapy treatment after graduading (I was studying the same )

But he did get a phd for his work, if I remember correctly...though no medical degree.

Cheers...

Yaremus

[16]May 14, 2010
    • level: 1

He is practising a form ofPsychotherapy. Any doctorate heachievedisn't a requirementto practise psychotherapy nor is an intrinsic part ofpsyhotherapy training, at least, in the UK. He may have had training in psychology or psychiatry but they wouldn't be requisite to practising psychotherapy. What we do know is that he holds a Ph.D in Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania.Perhaps in the USA this is a pre-requisite to practising psychotherapy.

Your question may be asking, 'what kind of psychotherapist is he?' Psychotherapy is an unmbrella term for many styles of therapy and schools of thought. One could be trained in any number of styles. Adlerian, Kleinian, Jungian, Reichian, Gestalt and the list goes on and is very long. One can be trained in several of these and what one practises can reflect a blend of these styles.

Paul may be versed in more than one school of psychotherapy. Also, as one gets more experienced the style begins to reflect the individual's personality and strength and weaknesses.

So to sum up. Paul practises psychotherapy but which one isn't entirely clear to me.

Albatrossity

[17]Jul 30, 2010
    • level: 4

He does not prescribe medications, so he is a Psychologist, not a Psychiatrist, who has a Medical Degree and is therefore able to prescribe medication. You would not go to a Psychiatrist if you did not believe you needed medication, unless money was of no concern and you had no problem with them suggesting you take a medication.