Income Property

Wednesday 9:30 PM on HGTV Premiered Jan 01, 2009 Between Seasons

Income Property Fan Reviews (5)

• Interior decorating

I LOVE Income Property. I'm always amazed at the quality and beauty of the space that Scott creates. I have a question though. Does he do the interior decorating, or is there an interior decorator. I live in Australia and always say if I ever win the lottery the first thing I'm doing is flying him over to decorate my house!!
  • Hot Host

Scott is a hot handy man who knows what he is doing. The results at the end of every show are always stylish and high quality. Homeowners always see a huge increase in their property values. Looking forward to seeing Income Property episodes produced in the Florida Gulf Coast Area..
  • I Always Learn Something

Who knew the purpose of mortar is to cushion the bricks? I have learned so many things watching this show. Each episode is very informative and entertaining. It's all about the bottom line. As a CPA I appreciate the practicality of Scott's designs and his wealth of experience. I wish the show aired more often!
  • Flower Bed Ideas

When you think of garden it definitely is not all green. Green with the right mix of color is what completes a garden. It is flowers that actually complete the picture when it comes to a beautiful garden. Once you decide to have a garden there are a few more things that have to be looked into to ensure that you garden is one that looks elegant, stylish and absolutely lovely.

• This is a really enjoyable show. The format is nearly identical each time but the results are always equally astounding. It's amazing how Scott and his crew can transform even the most abysmal spaces into modern, livable, even luxurious rental units.

'Income Property' is a new HGTV show about a professional landlord named Scott who helps fellow Toronto-area homeowners transform basements and other spaces into rent-able income suites. He starts by meeting the homeowner(s) and touring the home. Then he is shown the potential rental space, takes measurements, and sits down with the owners to show them two sets of floor plans. The first is typically the less-expensive renovation, but typically yields less rent (he also discusses the break-even point with the homeowner). This is usually a plan that will simply bring the space up to code and make it liveable. The second option costs more but typically adds a bedroom or other amenities to make it not only liveable and legal, but attractive and a great find in the neighborhood. With each option Scott also demonstrates the homeowners how the new unit will affect their mortgage payments.

After the homeowners choose which option to go with, Scott walks us through a green-screen rendering of what his plan for the space is. Then, Scott and his crew get to work. After the first part of the show, the second "act" is comprised of the 'demo' and 'reno' phases, where the crew breaks out walls, floors, ceilings, and generally clears the space to prepare for framing, plumbing, electrical, etc. Usually at this point the first snag is hit -- either molded studs or joists, ants or other insects, plumbing that needs to be replaced, etc. After everything has been taken care of, the crew gets to work in installing fixtures, drywall, electrical, etc.

The final act involves Scott taking the homeowners on a tour of the finished unit, pointing out its features. The show ends with Scott explaining to the owners how they can best market their apartment on a listing, and as the credits roll we see what became of the homeowners after filming wrapped (9 times out of 10 they are able to successfully rent out the unit).

Scott is a great host and does a great job being the liaison between what the homeowners want and what is possible by the demo/reno crew (and within budget). He claims to own dozens of properties with over one hundred tenants. He keeps an even head and doesn't frustrate easily, at least not visibly. He seems to have a knack for creating a vision for a space that at face-value seems worthless.

Since the show takes place in Canada, the dollar-figures are difficult to transpose. I am always surprised by the selling price of some of the homes on the show, but then I realize that a) they are located in or around Toronto, a major North American city, and b) even in this recession the American dollar is stronger than the Canadian dollar, so the prices are "inflated" in that sense as well (from and American viewer's point of view). It doesn't take away from the show in any way, however.

Overall this is a great show and one of the most practical on the HGTV network. Obviously a major basement renovation should be carried out by a professional, but the show proves that even seemingly-unusable spaces can be made into income-generating properties.