Ink Master

Tuesday 10:00 PM on Spike TV Premiered Jul 17, 2011 In Season

Ink Master Fan Reviews (40)

5.9
  • Eh...

It's a fun show, always has been, however, it's getting very scripted. It used to be about able artists, putting out gorgeous creations for the world to 'awe' at, but now, it's just scripted drama and fights. Also, the judges are WAY off base with their critiques. I still can't get over the shock of seeing one of those two brothers go home for the ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE owl. And then from that on, I noticed the judges were really just picking favorites, regardless of actual artwork. weird now :/
  • From a good show to wath is wrong with every reality show out there.

Ink master started as a nice tattoos show, enterteining and a good showcase of artists that can do more than just tattoos.

This fifth season is ridicusly bad, it's like they decide to take the normal reality show approach and added scripted drama and fights. People are watching this show to see nice artist doing great tattoos and artistics challanges.

It's a kinda of reality show and it's normal that a lot of stuff are scripted but this season is just right on your face fake.

• Too much drama not enough tattoos

I love the art of tattooing & the creativity some people have. The show has become like the WWE of tattooing. Fake fights, judging based on who they like over what tattoo is better. Making them do things that would never happen in a tattoo shop, like 3 people tattooing at once. I want to see a show that is about the actual competition of tattooing not drama that comes off as so fake. Everyone wants to be the villain to gain attention. The artist on Best Ink & Epic Ink are more worthy.
  • Scripted Crap

This show is worthless. While I don't mind some drama, this mess is obviously scripted... badly. What a shame, because I love artistic shows no matter what they are - fashion design, cooking etc. Instead of focusing on the talent of artists, the producers have decided to cheapen the premise with fake fights. All of the characters (I refuse to call them artists) are unlikeable, and the in your face arguments are downright annoying. DONE with this show, buh-bye.
  • Not feeling season 5

This show started out so good, and how has turned into all the other lame ass reality shows! It only took the first episode of season 5 and I can already tell that it's scripted! While it is natural for people to not always see eye to eye.... but the first damn show their already getting in each others face and trying to fist fight! The producers need to watch season one and get back to what the people want to see!!! Not this I now have a new open slot on my DVR!!
  • A great show gone wrong

The finale of season four and the clues to the new season of Ink Master "Rivals" are the culmination of an exceedingly obvious trend on the show; To manufacture explosive and petty drama at the cost of tattooing. This forced change was easily perceived throughout the season as the focus of each episode was conflict between cast members and not their actual skills as tattoo artists. Additionally, the show centered on the drama created from handing out skulls in a way that agrees with common sense from a competitive point of view. The three contestants were clearly anxious in the dismal final as they were presumably forced(by the producers) to talk about ridiculous drama from the season. The finale did not give the viewers any review of past tattoos from the season or a complete assessment of the contestants, which is what they desired. This show originally exposed viewers to the extremely difficult and interesting art of tattooing. The great potential of this competitive show has been lost to dim-witted manufactured drama. We fans are more intelligent and deserve better than the producers fetish with scripted conflict. I will not be watching season 5.
  • Show is Fixed

Really, really disappointed with this show. I'm an artist, and I know the judges don't know what they're talking about. They pick an artist and try to convince us in critiques that they're the best, then carry them through to the end (so they can make believe they know what good art is).

It's completely fixed -- there is nothing left up to chance or viewer opinion, or even skill. The judges make every single decision, whether wrong or right, and when they favor an artist, that's who wins... Winners nominating an artist to eliminate, canvases nominating an artist to eliminate, America nominating an artist to win... It's all just distraction to make the choices seem more random or like the weight of power is more spread out than it is.

It's not. If the audience votes for an artist to win, or a contestant votes for an artist to lose, the judges have the final say and therefore the ONLY say. Everything else is a distraction. Smoke and mirrors to cover up incompetence and power hunger.

America voted Sausage was the best, but after constantly refusing to eliminate Scott (and trying to shove him down our throats as the best artist), the judges chose Scott as the winner. From the beginning it was obvious that he was their favorite, and with every decision lying in their hands; who goes, who stays, the audience vote is just a joke and to ignore their opinion is absolutely ridiculous and rude. He was never the best, but Sausage was. They can't fool us. The fact that America voted for Sausage and he still lost means they're not even trying to hide it. I knew that the show was fixed, but I knew if Scott won that there's no reason to even watch.
  • this show has become total crap

I think i am done with this show - it started out being about a great tattoo competition - and now its just another bitchy reality tv show, complete with cat fights and name calling. The judging is TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!!!! I know aren't going to always agree - and i know judging is subjective - but come on - their should be some criteria! They don't judge based on what the challenge was half the time- sometimes they base it on past work - sometimes not??? - makes noooo sense at all. The guest judging is ridiculous, the team tattooing is ridiculous, and the finale on every season just keeps getting worse - cause it is sooo obvious it doesn't matter what happens - they already have a winner . why did scott win? in season one - they told tommy he didn't win because he had one bad critique during the show - sooo even though he was more well rounded and his finale pieces were the best - he still lost to shane - who only ever did black and grey ( even the judges said so) but yet shane still won?? - soo, why didn't sausage win - scott had bad review and sausage never had worse tattoo - so why did scott win - im glad the entire audience was booing - its a shame - it was a great idea - and could have been a great show!!!!
  • WTF! The judges all need to be fired!

Sausage was the clear winner, his composition was well balanced, great line quality, good color choices, the proper far the better tattoo artist and the audience approved it! Scott did not do his best work on the last tattoo. If the winner is based on total scores, a running tally should be posted each week listing the artist's weekly and total points. Other wise the judging looks like bullshit! I won't watch the show anymore if the judging can not be objective, the audience understands the judges make a subjective critique, but the scores are a Charley Manson review!
  • New Judges are needed!!

Been watching since episode 1 however THIS SEASON (4) has made me realize that its too much bull***

To continue doing so!Previous reviews indicate Nunez treated Kyle the SAME WAY he treated Tartu Baby

(whose tattoos were AWESOME BTW) when she was voted back. Mentioning Kyle BY NAME during an elimination when he wasn't even there was in SUCH POOR TASTE on his part!! maybe he has been out of the field too long and he should reaquaint himself on how much things have changed since he sold out!! SCOTT

winning tonight was SUCH CRAP! His tattoo style is boring and his Master Canvas had way too much orange!!! Sausage or Matti SHOULD HAVE WON!! Scottdidn't deserve it in any way! He bullied his way through the competition and they rewarded him for it!!! Then again TOMMY of Tattoo Nightmares deserved to win and didn't!! Soooo happy he's doing well with his OWN SHOW!! What does THAT tell you!! Can't even remember the guys name who won that season but I KNOW TOMMY!! Shows gone downhill since! Adios InkMaster!!
  • What Happened!?

1.5
    This show used to make sense. Now you've got Chris Nunez on some kind of ego trip!? I used to respect all of the judges, even when I disagreed. They're professionals after all. But Nunez has to go. He's intentionally going after people and he's so incredibly biased that I'm surprised he hasn't gotten his ass kicked. He's a cocky ass hole and in all seriousness, he's the reason this show is damn near unwatchable now. Huge shame.
  • I've lost all respect for this crappy show!

Ink Master has turned to Ink Bastard. This show sucks! I HATE the judges and wouldn't let them tattoo me if they paid me the $100K to do it. The latest episode Season 4 Episode 10 was without a doubt the worst one to date. The whole "tag-team" aspect was very annoying and didn't prove anything. I didn't like Gentle Jay and it's fine that he went home, but the way they went about it was total CRAP!! Melissa's tattoo was horrible and she should have gone home too. Besides, that tattoo they had to COPY was so AWFUL. I agree with Jay's assessment that it was "a leopard puking out a If I had been one of those artists, I would have said no thanks, and left of my own accord.

All that said, the artists are a bunch of losers this season too. I don't care which one of them wins. Only one of the artists I have even the slightest respect for is Sausage and he totally sold out. Scott is just a straight up A-Hole and a D-Bag and his tattoo style SUCKS. He must be blowing the judges off camera to get as far as he has. The rest are a bunch of wankers not worth mentioning.

I will probably watch through to the season finale, but I have to say the Season 3 finale was so HORRIBLE. You could tell that Dave Navarro was unscripted and he just didn't have a clue as to what was really going on. And they had a stupid heavy metal soundtrack going on in the back ground that drowned out what people were saying. I think they need a major change to the whole style and cast for next season. They need ALL new judges and they need to take away that stupid high-pitch sound effect whenever there is controversy on the set. Best Ink is a much better show and they tend to have many more talented artists. Unless there are big changes for Season 5, I don't think I'll even bother watching any more.
  • Judges are excellent but reveal their own hubris!

I couldn't believe the bashing they gave Tatu Baby in season three. It prompted me to look up Nunez's dragons to see what the hell the difference was between hers and his. I was astounded at the lack of skill Nunez's dragons had. Tatu baby's shading may have been a tad lazy but I would still want hers over Nunez's discombobulated mess. Peck is an excellent traditional (sailor) style tattooer but don't go to him when you want something inventive and definitely don't let him put animals or portraits on you. Season 4 contains at least three artist whose skills far surpass the judges on every level.

My theory on why this is: the show needs judges whose studios can benefit from tv exposure. The best artists are so busy they can't stop their studios for the sake of reality show. They make way more money being operators. Anyway, thats my two sense. All that being said the show is awesome. I love seeing people's work. And props to the human canvases, best part of the show.
  • Ashley, SERIOUSLY?!

She handled this competition like my 2 year old reacts to me turning off his favorite show before he is done watching. YOU ARE TATTOOING HUMAN CANVASES!!! There is no way you went into this thinking they were not going to critique your work. That's how they pick the storing from the weak. Go get some anxiety help! You are too wound up!

• Judging is dumb

I like the show and just recently started watching and im already pissed at it not even done with the first season. I dont have a favorite person competing in season 3 but to let a man go home because he didnt have any tattoos is total bullshit. He was one of the few most consistent people on the show, and the other person who was consistently in the bottom got to stay another judges say one thing one week and bullshit someone else the other the week before jaime got canned you they sent someone home because he had the worse "report that same logic doesnt carry over after? I just started watching and im already like fuck this show. Im giving this a three because of the inconsistent judging...

• Dingleberry!!!

2.5
    ROFLMAO!!! Thank you for the laughs girl!!!

I don't believe Tatu Baby deserved to be in the end. She complained, wined and even tried to leave because ooooh it's too . She also is not a "great" artist as was said so many
  • mockery in judging is making this show a turd!

season three is total garbage. the more i watch the more i don't understand the judges. They consistently contradict themselves and go against what they said in earlier critiques. I would just say they need a judge change-up. Hell keep Dave that's fine he is the face of the show, but get rid of the other two tools. They have become jaded on this show and you can tell over the past 3 seasons. get some real talent at the bench to tell these people what they need to hear. If there is a season 4 and they have the same people..... i'll still watch just too see the artwork but fuck the judging. don't care what those guys have to say... there opinion carries no weight to me at all and i don't even have tattoos.

Giving it a three because there are some talented contestants putting out some solid work that is very good.
  • Judge Bias

I have to say after tonight's episode I will stop watching this show even though I have never missed a episode. Chris Nunez continued bias for Tatu Baby reminds me of Don King in boxing fixing fights. This was about as bad as when last season a contestant was kicked off just because he did not have any tattoos and Chris backed that vote. I do not understand Chris Nunez infatuation with Tatu Baby she has been given so many chances and was voted off last season. If anyone should of came back last season it would of been Jesse Smith who somehow was eliminated early. I do understand that this is TV and its about ratings and I am sure Tatu Baby gets great ratings but it is a competition for these individuals to earn 100K based on there technical skill. Chris's statement that he will not let anyone continue with out better artistic ability is shameful as it was last year when they sent someone home because he had no Tattoos. Oliver and Dave I feel have been fair judges all 3 season but wow Chris disappointing. Even the Human Canvas picked Tatu Baby and you ripped on Joey and Josh's Tattoo to pull away from the fact she is a horrible technical skill drawing clean art that is anatomically correct and applying it to skin. To be honest the final 3 should of been Craig, Joey, Jime. But Craig even though one of the best was a quite individual that I am sure did not draw the best ratings but was one of the best artists. If Craig was a asshole and treated everyone poorly or had attractive looks like Tatu Baby he would be in the final 3.

This is season 2 all over again where the best tattoo artist did not even make the final 3. Only in season one did the best 3 artist actually make it to the finally. And truthfully season 1 all 3 of the finalists have been better then anyone on season 2 or 3. The talent level from season 1 was by far the best and the Judges had no Bias in season 1. But I can not continue to watch a show where it is a skilled competition and people are judged by how much the judge likes or dislikes them. Last week Kyle should of went home. Why? Because the judges had mixed feelings just like this week and the human canvases picked Kyle not Jason who was let go. Just like today the Judges had a tie and the Human Canvass saw Tatu Babys once again poor anatomy and yet she got a pass on bias judging from Chris Nunez. Chris should really apologize from this to Josh and to season 2 contestant Jamie for taking away a 100K chance from them or they should just replace him next season with a Judge that can be non bias.
  • Chris Nunez

yah I agree and after the last five I now hate Chris Nunez. He needs to stop judging on tattoo baby's tits and ass and judge fairly and the shit he said about that leopard gecko holy shit he must not know what one looks like and if any judges read this that zombie tat was the worst, you dumb asses but Chris you are no longer a good tattoo artist if you truly believe all that shit you said, but now they are turning all good shows in to drama so it could just be that but if that's it then if was Chris I would just stop that show because they are making you look like a dumb ass and are making you sound like you have no idea what you are talking about ether way you suck.
  • how can some one suggest a idea for the show

how can some one suggest a idea for the show
  • judges??

I remember being excited when the first season came out anxiously waiting every week for the new episodes. The only thing that kept me a fan of the show were the amazing artists like Shane, Josh and Bili. What made me stop watching after, honestly were the judges. Judges?!! Seriously?!!

Who is Dave Navarro and how did he deserve to be the host/judge??! A washed up guitarist with shitty tattoos just looking for the next gig. IF he had tattoos done by real talented artist, then I'd give him a past as a tattoo collector, but he's there a rockstar and tattoos are .___. Atleast he's not doing dating shows and pimpin RVs like Bret Michaels.

Chris Nuez who although is a tattoo face it, is just there because he was on Miami Ink. Just another tattoo artist that became known thanks to television and not his tattoos. Check hisbwork on his IG and compare it with some of the artists that compete on the show and you be the judge. He criticizes artists that he can never touch or come close on him. He needs to up his game and then maybe he can bash others, until to his clothing line.

I'm not go into it about Oliver he sleep and eat with that damn toothpick in his mouth? Another artist that needs to up his but hes does only oldschool stuff.

Me as an artist if were to compete on that show or any competition would like judges that I respect and look up in the tattoo industry. Not people who were put there because tv made because they "look good" on the show.

I'll stick to watching Best Ink.
  • judges start being fair and honest ffs

Im a Canadian man and have watched Ink Master from day #1 and I usually enjoy the show and typically agree with the judges. This year is starting to drive me nutty though. I have always been a Tatu Baby fan but now I find myself just being disappointed with the unfair judging. Its too clear that Baby is gonna be in the final episode because the judges want her to be there.

What i liked about this show was how the judges were always strait and honest with their reviews. What we have the old judges back?....

Ink Master judges please smarten up and keep this show legitimate

We all know Tatu Baby shouldn't be there
  • CRAIGS EXIT

1.5
    I have been a loyal Inkmaster follower for a number of years. I have to say I am disappointed with resent events on the show. Craig had shown to be one of the most talented artists this season with one weak area. Each artist, every year, has shown strengths and weaknesses and have shown the ability to work through their weaknesses.

The last elimination was unbelievable.... Josh contiues to create sub par work and he continues to miss the cut. It would appear that Josh is being kept on by the judges for other reasons are beyond the actual competition... and are impacting the credibility of the show...

The judges need to be above choosing favorites and just be able to call them as they see them... Last season a contestant was eliminated due to the fact that he did not have a tatoo does this fact have to do with the artists talent? The judges need to step up their game! (I am certain they will claim he was eliminated for other how it played out)

Disappointed fan
  • Judges suck

2.5
    Stopped watching the show because the judges are dumb as shit. I don't have to explain myself further.
  • Judges suck

I love this show, except for the judges. They literally talk like they have no idea what tattooing is about, yet they do know what tattooing is about, so I don't know what is up with them. Maybe they have to say certain things in order to convey the point of the competition, but they just come off sounding dumb. In my opinion, the judges are not even needed on a show like this. The only thing that matters about a tattoo is what the canvas thinks. If the person getting the tattoo, likes the tattoo, then its a good tattoo. Period.
  • Contestants vs. Judges

4.5
    I love the artists. I love watching their work, seeing how creative they get and watching them make great pieces. What I despise is the judges. Their blatant prejudice towards contestants and their biased and unfair judging drives me up the wall. Who are they to judge a person because they don't have tattoos? I feel like they're all just making lousy calls, ignoring what's in front of them and lashing out when it's unnecessary. They blame the artists for not being able to control their canvases but HELLO? They're HUMAN canvases, not objects. If they made up their mind about a tattoo, the contestants can't sway them if they don't want to. They can't control if a contestant gets nauseous or if they get ill. The judges don't see anything. They make bad calls, they choose favourites and they're all around lousy and prejudiced assholes. They're horrible. The show is great to watch the contestants, but I'm never watching this again because the judges suck ass.
  • Celebrity

It would be great if there was a celebrity season. So like you could have Kat Von D in it :)))
  • Oliver Peck is a great tattoo artist but a lousy judge

I've been watching Ink master for a while now. I'm so impressed with the creativity that these artists display on a daily basis. What I can't stand though is the inconsistent judging from Oliver Peck. His favoritism REEKS toward certain artists. Episode #6 ( Half Naked and Fully Loaded) was a case in point, his favoritism of Mark Matthews over Lalo Yunda was shameful. Even Chris Nunez couldn't wrap his head around Oliver's decision. Meanwhile Mark Matthews gets to stick around to BUTCHER another customer. I think Oliver should stick to tattooing and perhaps leave the judging to ones less bias and don't have there own agenda.

I love the show, but Oliver's judging bother me exceedingly.

• Why did they send him home last night!!!

Sarah should of went home. That's so stupid that they sent a good artist home because he didn't have any tattoos maybe he don't want to be stereotyped and that's exactly what they did they made me not even want ro watch it anymore I agree with disappointed! He has never been in the bottom yet they send him home and keep the crazy bitch I feel like sarah should of left a long time ago! Hope they read this
  • disappointed

Jamie should have never been cut. Totally unfair! He was never in the bottom and that psycho chic is almost always there. They cut him because he doesn't have any tattooed. So wrong! Is a surgeon judged by how many times he's been under the knife himself? No!!

I don't even know if I can continue watching the show now. What a joke.