Instant Star

Won't Get Fooled Again

Aired Sunday 7:00 PM Mar 20, 2005 on CTV

• Jude's heart has been broken into a million pieces by Shay, and the whole thing was captured on cameras to boot. Jude and Tommy are on the outs because he kissed her and made her swear not to tell. And then the last man who should hurt her does.

I didn't understand this episode the first time I watched it. I was so wrapped up in the Jude/Tommy romance that I was furious and refused to revel in its genius. The plotline in which Jude discovers her father's betrayal of his family is a key part of Jude's evolution into the more mature artist she is in the second season. She reconnects with her sister and remembers just how sacred family is. For an entire episode, we are privy to Jude's unselfish side that understands how seemingly small actions can have a great impact. Just taking her sister to a photo shoot helps rekindle their fragmented relationship. Furthermore, the scenes between Jude and Tommy are electric in this episode, to such an extent that I almost wish they would fight more. Tommy proves his self-absorption when he assumes he's the only one who could have hurt her so much. Her smooth response of "Not everything's about you" gets me every time. Tommy forgets that he has only been in Jude's life for a mere few months, whereas her father has been her idol for the whole of it. And Alexz's rendition of "Skin" at Under the Mic is stunning and gut-wrenching. I really felt like everything that had happened to Jude had happened to the actress. It was an incredible bit of acting.