We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

An Intelligence Community
CBS (ended 2014)

It's time for the major networks to say, "Wait, wait! We've got this show, too!" Otherwise known as the midseason. But the stigma of the midseason being a dumping ground for network leftovers no longer applies, as everyone is pushing for a year-round television schedule to satiate our bottomless hunger for on-air entertainment. And next up on the release schedule is CBS's Intelligence, a new action thriller with a technological bent. Is it worth squeezing into your already busy schedule, or is it last-resort viewing? I've seen the pilot and I'll try to help you make up your mind in this edition of I've Already Made Up My Mind About Whether I'm Going to Watch This Show But Let's Hear TV.com's Opinion Anyway.   

Let's get right to it. What in the world is Intelligence?

One of the government's billion top-secret operations centers on a dude named Gabriel. He works for Cyber Command (an armed forces division focusing on cyberspace operations), and he's jacked up with a computer-y microchip in his fleshy brain that allows him to access the "global information grid," which means he can tap into the internet, radio and telephone signals, and satellite feeds WITH HIS MIND! Using his special wireless connectedness (and rugged good looks), he protects freedom and everything that strip malls and bald eagles stand for as a special operative for the U.S. government. As we enter the series, he's assigned a sexy new handler and *SPROING* there's lots of sexual tension, regular tension, and a cat-and-mouse game of respect.

Who created the show, and who's in it?

Producer Michael Seitzman (North Country) created the series off an idea partially inspired by the upcoming book Phoenix Island from John Dixon. But let's talk about the cast! Josh Holloway FINALLY gets post-Lost regular TV role as Gabriel, thus insuring that every one of the series' alums except for Matthew Fox is currently doing something in the business. Meghan Ory (Once Upon a Time's Red Riding Hood) plays Gabriel's watchdog/partner Riley, CSI's Marg Helgenberger plays Gabriel's uptight boss, and John Billingsley plays the wacky scientist who created the superchip in Gabe's brain. 

When does Intelligence upload to our TV sets?

Intelligence premieres Tuesday, January 7 at 9pm on CBS, but that's just a special preview. The series will move to its regular time slot of Mondays at 10pm the following week, on January 13, with Intelligence taking over for Hostages.  

Who will like Intelligence?

Intelligence is a safe next step in CBS's plan to branch out a bit from the formulaic procedurals it's known for, not venturing too far from the "AMERICA! F*CK YEAH!"ness of NCIS but also bringing the flag-waving into the digital age with its Bionic Man gimmick. Because of this, I think it's more likely to be appreciated by fans of CBS's typical procedurals rather than, say, viewers of the morally complex Person of Interest.

What's smart about Intelligence?

Grab the Milk Duds and put some sticky syrup on the bottom of your shoes, because Intelligence is mindless fare meant to emulate summer Cineplex entertainment. And it achieves that goal with a cast that's likable, some solid action sequences (Sawyer does some Parkour!), and a sprinkling of humor to keep things light. Holloway is really great in this, and Gabriel is almost the same character as Sawyer in Lost Seasons 3 through 6, which is what we all want, right? He also does this little trick where he can walk through a virtual representation of a scene as reconstructed by evidence, and the effects involved are pretty cool. And though the pilot is pretty standard stuff, there's a wrinkle at the end that suggests the show could be a lot more than it appears to be and branch out into a big-time serialized action thriller.

What's dumb about Intelligence?

Oh man, the pilot is oh-so pilot-y! The writers clearly want you to care about these characters, so their backstories are laboriously laid out. It's a chore to get through them because they're basically informational downloads, and since they're mostly full of dry info, by the end of the episode you won't feel very connected to anyone in particular. And I'm curious as to how the show might limit Gabriel's powers, because the answer could make or break a series about a bionic dude. When he's online, he can do anything, but if a satellite isn't in the right position or, I dunno, some interference from a microwave jams his talents, then he's in trouble. Managing his abilities convincingly will require some good writing; otherwise Intelligence's creative team will just be flipping his on/off switch whenever they need to increase the danger, and that will get boring really fast. 

So, should I watch it?

I don't think anyone is going to hate this show, but based on the pilot, you'll probably want to look elsewhere for the next great action thriller. Tune in with low expectations, and let Intelligence slightly surpass them!

Let's take a look at a trailer!

Okay, let's!

Intelligence premieres Tuesday, January 7 at 9pm on CBS, then moves to its regular time slot on Monday, January 13 at 10pm.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

118 Comments
Comments (118)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Even tho i still feel like this is just Chuck 2.0, I must say that i enjoyed the pilot episode. It felt like a more serious and grown up Chuck......Not better than Chuck but its good enough to stick around for the next two episodes.
Flag
This turn up to be pretty cool and fun. It is better than I expected and there is some serialised elements, at least from the pilot. There is something to look forward to it the next episode.
Flag
I guess my question for this show will be whether people will expect this to do for CBS what The Agency couldn't?
Flag
Seems more like a less-fun version of Chuck.
Flag
Person of interest,Almost Human,Intelligence.Maybe great but i cant stand watching procedural shows.Need someting more serialized like Fringe,Lost (1-3),Battlestar Galactica
Flag
Person of Interest has become less and less a procedural with serialized aspects and has evolved into an excellent serialized drama with a bit of procedural mixed in. It's one of the best shows on tv.
Flag
Pass. Just doesn't sound like there's anything here that interesting for me.
Flag
I will certainly not watch this show. Again, there is the hero with or without some kind of powers, the male or female counterpart with or without powers, the genius who solves and explain everything and the boss. A bit like Almost Human and Marvel Agents of Shield. Since I stopped watching the two shows above for boredom reasons, I will not even try this one.
Flag
Looks like both shows that debut this week Intelligence and Killer woman are both procedurals. I will watch both pilots but it will be hard to substain my interest if both continue to be procedurals.
Flag
I'll give the pilot a try, but when it moves to Mondays I'm not sure if I'll follow. I think I'd rather see something more realistic. I remember The Six Million Dollar Man, and I wasn't a fan.
Flag
Ima mix my metaphors, but I totally get the impression that it's like Uncle Sam Bartowski after taking the red pill & going forth to kick some ass down the rabbit hole.

It couldn't hurt to watch it just to see if it's worth tuning in to the next one.
y'know: 'hope for the best and expect the worst' and all that jazz.
Flag
It's on my "keep an eye on" list for now, but I'm going to see how it evolves first. I cannot suffer through any plain procedural like NCIS and its clones, so unless it follows in esteemed footsteps of Person of Interest...

Flag
LOST + CSI favorites = I´m in!
Flag
Chuck + Person of Interest = Intelligence! May watch as a good cast but will have to wait and see.
Flag
sooooo Chuck 2.0????
Flag
Sawyer was my favourite male character in LOST (even more after re-watching LOST for second time). So, YES, I am for sure going to give him a try. I just hope he still doing the nicknames thing, because ... That Was Awesome !!
( a shame Kate won´t be anywhere around ;)
Flag
I liked this show when it was called Chuck.
Flag
Hopefully they'll get the series finale right this time though.
Flag
You had me at the CIS Red Head! I'm In!
Flag
not that i need another show to watch this and Helix start this week along with all the other shows i watch. but i have to at least give it the 4 ep test
Flag
I'll watch for two reasons:

1. Marg
2. Helgenberger

I'm a bit of a fan.
Flag
Parkour? Wireless Communication?

Holy crap! It's like they've shot forward to the far off technologically and physically advanced era of 2004!!!

Tell us, time wizards, do people still laugh, like they did long ago?

Flag
Both plot or trailer are so cliché, even Josh lost his charm without his bad-ass hair & facial expression. But, hunger for a good sci-fi show after Fringe, so I am in.
Flag
Did I miss something or didn't they even bother to wrap up Little Red Riding Hood's story in "Once Upon a Time" before moving Meghan Ory in this project?
Flag
There's a whole "thing" over there in OUAT land. They were using her more and more, and then they more or less dropped her story when they started getting ready to lead into the whole Peter Pan business.

Apparently Meghan asked what was up and why she was suddenly appearing dramatically less and they said they were pretty much done with her character and said if she wanted she could leave and do other shows; instead of just randomly appearing like Granny or Hopper.

Which kind of stinks... looks aside (and she's got the look) she was an interesting piece of the show. I enjoyed her character and back-story. Seems like a poor decision for the OUAT show-runners.

Hopefully her new gig pans out.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Flag
I give all new shows a 5 episode test then i see if i will stick around so hopefully this does well. Also im pretty sure CBS is hoping it does well because i what happen with hostages.
Flag
I'll give this a test. I'm way more a POI fan than a NCIS fan, but I can appreciate some brainless show from time to time.
Flag
"Duh-Doi Brain"
Lol!
I love Britta!

Oh yeah, the show.
I'll give it 4 and decide after that but I'm hoping this will replace NCIS on my list.
Flag
I'll at least give it the four episode test.

And I do hope they will not make the same mistake that every other series makes: to communicate with a satellite you need a clear and stable line/view to the satellite, otherwise it does not work. Clear meaning it has to be in sight, stable meaning you do not move too much because the angle of the line to the satellite changes a (very) little bit but that might be enough to destroy the connection.
Flag
Using existing government satellite communications infrastructure should yield a signal that is at least as resilient to movement, etc as satellite phones or Sirius radio, don't you think?
Flag
You are absolutely correct that certain types of satellites give better opportunities for reception and thus more resilience for moving. I thought about it while writing my comment but when the antennas came into my head, I decided to write it anyway. On the other hand, they will have to 'convince' us that they have found/made an antenna that is so small that it fits into the piece of equipment they put into Sawyer. But, as they are secret government agencies, they have developed equipment that is at least twenty years ahead of everything we know :-)
Flag
I'm pretty sure they will make that mistake, along with every other possible common information mistake in the book.
Flag
We could suppose that he uses The Machine as an access system for him so he has a wireless network available to him almost everywhere. That would be awesome as it gives us, the viewers of Person of Interest, the angle we need.
Flag
That's a good idea. I'm afraid though that we POI fans will be disappointed by the inevitable America (sorry... "Freedom") vs The World.
Flag
Who knew so many people remembered Jake 2.0? Surely with this must attention a show like that must at least be realeased on DVD or something.

Flag
The Jake 2.0/ Chuck premise alone is worth a look in for my taste in television, but I doubt I'll stick with it unless it makes some drastic strides into a more serialised action thriller.
Flag
im confused. im quit sure i saw a trailer for this before and his partner was to be an african american man. cant remember the actor. not some woman. did they redo the show or some thing? O.o
Flag
Are you thinking of Almost Human?
Here's a trailer on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV2ojHR40TQ
Flag
ahhh yes thanks. for some reason i thought josh hollowway was in it. thanks for the trailer
Flag
I'll try it mainly because of Josh Holloway but i don't have high expectations.
Flag
God dammit Josh Holloway. First CBS show I'll be watching since Jericho. Well, try watching at least.
Flag
Blah blah sounds average blah blah not expecting much blah blah eternal loyalty to Sawyer blah blah must give pilot a shot &c.
Flag
I need to trim Monday viewing. The pilot will get one chance.
Flag
Too shippy for me. I'm tired of the "let's pair up a guy and a girl and see how long before they fall into bed". Give me a show with intelligence for real not just in the title. When it comes to techno shows i'll stick with Almost Human, thanks.
Flag
Really? While Person of Interest is still in existence?
Flag
Flag
I also believe it's like Jake 2.0 , Chuck and of course Gary from Alphas, but i presume the target it´s a mature audience and of course women.
Flag
But will it be funny?
Flag
Didn't we already have this in Alphas with the character named GARY!
Please bring back ALPHAS!
Flag
I'm still sticking to the idea of "What if Bryce Larkin got the Intersect instead of Chuck?" While I doubt this will have the dedicated and loyal fans Chuck had, and frankly, Meghan Ory is lovely but she's absolutely no Yvonne Strahovski, I'm still interested to see where they go with this series.
Flag
Uh no, ppl were dedicated to Chuck BCOZ of Chuck.
Flag
Honestly, this was the first thing I thought of when this show's pitch was introduced. It sounds *exactly* like the Intersect from "Chuck".
Flag
Chuck was funny though. Will this one be funny?
Flag
According to Tim, there is some funny bits, but I wouldn't expect anything near the tongue-in-cheek laugh-out-loud that Chuck was.
Flag
Did you watch it? How was it? I will watch my recording later this week.
Flag
It won't be funny in Chuck's sweet, nerdy way, that's for sure.
Flag
I've been waiting for Holloway to get his own show but I have zero interst in seeing this.
Flag
Because of this, I think it's more likely to be appreciated by fans of CBS's typical procedurals rather than, say, viewers of the morally complex Person of Interest. --- seriously, do you try to insult some tv viewers? people do have the capicity to watch both shows and like both shows.
Flag
I'm siding with Tim. also, I like insulting some TV viewers, Tim included. like for his revisional tendencies.
Flag
Mmm, it sounds like a lazy version of Person of Interest.
Flag
I disagree. It's clearly a more serious version of Chuck
Flag
^ This.
Flag
I also think in Jake 2.0
Flag
I would have rather had a Million Dollar Man remake as far as bionics are concerned, but I'll watch anything with Josh Holloway at least for the five episode test. I owe him that much courtesy. Frankly, aside from the acting, it all relies here on how good are the special effects and seamless computer generated scenes. I mean, if we are going to get OUAT-W or Defiant quality stuff, I won't bother Josh or no Josh.
Flag
Why are you short changing Steve Austin? He was the 'Six Million Dollar Man' ;)
Flag
sorry, the translated title was different in my country and you are right of course.Although he cost much more throughout the series :)
Flag
NBC tried to remake the Bionic Woman with Michelle Ryan six years ago and it crashed and burned here. If it had been airing in Ryan's native England though it would probably still be on the air because it was doing fantastic there when it was on. I thought it was pretty cool but apparently not many others thought so. It was when the NBC doldrums were just starting to take root. Katie Sackhoff from 'Battlestar Galactica' was the best part of it.
Flag
I remember the series and I was furious when they cancelled it.
Flag
Flag
"Cyber Command" sounds like something out of, i don't know, Power Rangers perhaps...
Flag
i wont be watching this.. mainly because my dvr only records 2 shows at the same time and i already have 3-4 shows that come on at the same day and tim as this... so unless the moved it to a less crowded day and time slot ill unfortunatey be missing this one.... sad too. it actually looks entertaining
Flag
It will be moving to Mondays from next week. It says it up there in the second paragraph...
Flag
monday isnt much better, monday is the day i was referring to.. its premiere day was fine. I was referring to when it switches to monday it will be unwatchale lol
Flag
If it was actually called "Bionic Sawyer" I would have been curious. Better if it was "Bionic Sawyer!" with an exclamation point.
Flag
I'm not holding my breath for it to be great, but Halloway's parkour better be on par with Amell's or I'm gonna laugh. Also, when I read that she was protecting him... I was partially hoping that he was mostly incompetent out in the field and would get that, "What do I do with this?" look on his face when she tried to hand him a gun. Obviously, that's not the case, so a little disappointed there, but I'll give it a shot.
Flag
Original working title: Jake 3.0?
Flag
Chuck 2.0
Flag
The biggest injustice with all of this is that it took three and a half years to get Josh into a regular role. Whether he was just picky or actually wanted time off, that's fine but all I can say is FINALLY!! :D And as for backstory I say very good since sometimes they just throw characters out there and I'm always thinking, what's the name of character A, B, C and so forth? I admit if it weren't for Josh, in no way would I watch this so I feel a strong Josh fan base will be the key to Intelligence.
Flag
Most pilots are usually this way, introducing everyone and their background. Once you get through the intros it usually gets better....., for some shows. This one looks like it has potential. I remembered not caring for Bones when it first premiered.
Flag
It still needs Yvonne Strahovski.
Flag
Dexter ruined Yvonne for me.
Flag
Thankfully I haven't watched it. But I can't imagine anything ruining Yvonne for me. And if that happens to occur Australia is abundant in sexy blondes with yummy accents.
Flag
Pity Australian actors don't get to use their natural accents very often. And when they do you sometimes wish they didn't *cough* Emilie de Ravin *cough*
Flag
I always say I'd like more Australian to keep their accents, but then when I hear them against American ones they come across as so grating and coarse. Anyone who has seen the horror film You're Next would probably understand.
Flag
I never imagined anything ruining Yvonne either. Dexter's final season sucked and Yvonne was one of the worst things about it, not her fault of course. I need to watch something good with her in it to cleanse myself of the abomination she participated in.

By the way, I caught up on Justified. I was excited about the new season...until I found out Michael Rapaport is the potential big bad of the season. Ugh.
Flag
I'm with you on Michael "Meathead" Rapaport as a rule, but I'm actually expecting him to do a good job on Justified. I remember how much more memorable Dexter's Quinn was in his one episode on Justified than in all his years on Dexter put together. It's Justified's amazingly good dialogue that seems to make every guest star so much better in it than whatever you've seen them in in the past.

Flag
At least he's not doing his NY accent, maybe there's hope.
Flag
Well Chuck is on Netflix. Watch the pilot and it will cleanse you. Or this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KIX44ZomA8

And yea I am concerned about Rapaport being in this season of Justified. Being that I have never, ever liked him in anything he has ever done. However he did make a great documentary about A Tribe Called Quest. But I have full trust in the show runners of Justified, because I have to say that Justified is one of those shows that have never let me down with any episode.
Flag
Flag
OMG ... YES. Watch Intelligence. STAT!!!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members