An Intelligence Community
CBS (ended 2014)

Intelligence S01E02: "Red X"

Tonight marked the all-important second episode of CBS's new drama Intelligence, and after last week's meh-okay pilot, "Red X"—a classic story about terrorists using edible bombs—was the hour that would push viewers one of two ways: toward a feeling of weekly, eager anticipation, or toward an apathetic, "I guess nothing else is on" surrender. Would the show fix the mistakes it made in the pilot and step out of the shadow of standard procedurals, or would simply be another hour of Josh Holloway, human iPad? After watching, I'd say it's more of the latter, unfortunately.

My biggest gripe with the pilot was Intelligence's basic premise. Or rather, what the pilot did with Intelligence's premise. The idea of a man with a microchip in his brain being a government superweapon who can log onto the web without a smartphone, listen to telephone calls without a smartphone, and download satellite data without a smartphone is kind of cool, I guess, but Intelligence wastes the idea. Gabriel is just a badass who doesn't have to type out instructions like the rest of us do when we're using a tablet. Sadly, "Red X" didn't expand on this front. Gabriel can use his techno-magic to locate any cab in the city! Big whoop. Aren't there apps for that? He can also access files that are available to any government agent with the same security clearance, he just doesn't have to wait for a clunky .gov site to load, and he doesn't have to worry about forgetting his username and password. Intelligence wouldn't change much if, instead of having a microchip in his brain, Gabriel just had really fast thumbs or a government-grade version of Siri. All across the country, there are 15-year-old boys in basements who have the necessary hacking skills to do everything that Gabriel does. 

Where "Red X" did improve on the pilot was in fleshing out Gabriel the human being, for those of us who need him to be more than a Wifi-enabled shirtless Ralph Lauren ad. The arc regarding his wife crept forward a bit to give both Gabriel and the show an emotional core, and then Intelligence promptly blew her up. Well, maybe. Anyone else thinking she isn't dead, as improbable as that is? (It's not easy to dodge a bomb that's been ingested without a family-sized pack of Ex-Lax and a good magazine to read.) When Zuleikha Robinson was cast, the contract was for a recurring basis, so to spit her out after Episode 2 doesn't sound too recurring to me. She'll probably be back in the future with some insane explanation of how she remained in one piece instead of being scraped off the walls by a crime-scene tech. 

Anyway, the best thing to come out of the final moments of "Red X" was the conflict between Riley and Gabriel, as Riley played the role of responsible government handler with good intentions and Gabriel embraced the fact that he's a goddamn rebel and she shouldn't be making decisions for him even if he IS government property. That's a dynamic that could actually work as the backbone of the series. But I'm still looking for something to differentiate Intelligence from one of CBS's other procedurals. A microchipped brain should've been enough, but so far all it's done is give Gabriel a portable supercomputer instead of asking better questions like, "What kind of man has this technology transformed him into?" If I'm the government and Gabriel is my weapon and he shows no signs of ill effects, I'm pretty stoked. But as a television viewer looking for Intelligence to be something more than another terrorist hunt, I'd prefer to see that chip go on the fritz a bit, and for it to matter to the story. 

What did YOU think of Episode 2?

NOTES

– Meghan Ory, from Little Red Riding Hood to Little White Riding Hood!

– Now that Amos is with the bad guys, it looks like the role of comic relief has been passed on to Nelson Cassidy, the son of Dr. Wacky Scientist.

– So Riley lives near Gabriel and can enter his apartment at any time? Sleep with one eye open, Gabriel. 

– No movement on that Chinese woman from last week who also had a microchip implanted. She was the biggest reason I tuned in for the second episode. 

– How long do you think it will be until there's a bad guy in this series who doesn't have an accent? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

122 Comments
Comments (122)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Do we know something about season 2
Flag
It gets better all the time. Really like it so far.
Flag
So far, I like the show (I've seen 2 eps...) BUT :

- I think that what they really wasted was some obvious dynamics and the goddamn talent of their reknown actors.

Example : Why did Clockwork's boss (Lilian) chose a beautiful female secret service agent ( = Riley) with the same hair color as Amelia to "protect" Gabriel? I'm not being sexist here : it's just visually obvious and I wish that Lilian was shown acting far more devious and cunning than this "I'm your friendly boss" act. I mean...it's obvious that it's to divert Gabriel from Amelia isn't? No need to hoard such obvious intel, right?

- Same for Riley. She's in a tough spot. By the way, she's way too talkative for my taste. ESPECIALLY with Lilian. "Aaron" in TV show 24 wasn't that talkative and still managed to convey the tension and stress associated with his position (and the fact that he was privy to a lot of secret informal information).

- Quick "small" detail : does the use of first names instead of last names is intended to soften the fact that it's CIA ? Because it lowers the seriousness of the show which is too bad really.

- Why did Amos went to the Chinese? Didn't get that. I know why the doc's son might have but why was it finally Amos? What was his motive ?

More+
Flag
Does anyone know the make and model of the main characters car?
Flag
I say it's a Ford Explorer because we have one. My husband says no, but he's wrong looks so much like our explorer.
Flag
The only saving grace for me was that they took a big step in the plot by blowing up Gabriel's girlfriend.
Flag
Where can I watch the pilot episode and Red X? My DVR missed both. Thanks.
Flag
This show any good?
Flag
ep 1 was ok, ep 2 was not, ep 3 was pretty good.
i'll give it one more to see if it stays on the DVR
Flag
LOL. CBS went from "Televisions #1 New DRAMA!" in preview ads to: "New Drama" for this week. I did a lot of complaining networks think we are so dumb they pronounce crap like that after it's premiere and we will buy in. I feel my argument vindicated.

I love Sawyer. I don't want it to fail mainly because of Josh. But the first two eps have been dog-awful.
Flag
i liked ep 2 the least so far of the 3 that have aired. none have been great
Flag
Meghan Ory is so beautiful it is distracting, lol. Sure girls like Josh too. So his wife is intrideced then killed off. This could have been a longer plot but he can still search for what happened. So far it is ok.
Flag
MO is FINE. she looked slightly different in ep 2 for some reason. i liked ep 2 the least so far of the 3 that have aired
Flag
Usually changes happen from the pilot/1st ep to the 2nd. Still to watch 3 but I like Meghan from Once Upon a Time as Red, she is very hot in that. Glad she has a lead role now.
Flag
Intelligence is a show that allows me to rest mine.
It's a bit boring, it's not very original but Josh Holloway makes it watchable.
Flag
Meghan Ory makes it watchable for me, but i'll give the show one more ep before i decide whether to keep on DVR
Flag
The wife better be dead...

Right now the show it's very flawed, storywise, and I think the only good thing they came up with is Gabriel finding out (or at least being trick into thinking) that Amelia was a real terrorist.
I know the show won't dare to go anywhere near this, but why not make Gabriel rogue and "anti-american" just for a little while? being motivated by the death of his wife, blaming CIA for everything she had to do ("dead wife" was the motive the bad guy had in this episode, so it should work both ways, shouldn't it?)

The other characters and plots are very generic and boring so far

Like many other said, I'll give it the 4-episode test, but half way through, it doesn't look very promising.

(or maybe i'll give it a season...if i was able to tolerate Revolution that much, why not this one?)
Flag
I think he might feel like he's the one responsible. She tried to back out but he kept pushing her to do her job telling her that he didn't want her to change because of him and that nothing bad is going to happen because he is her rock (or some similar blsht). As they made it out to be, it would be kind of dumb of him to blame the CIA when he never truly listened to her. I mean, she even got to tell him she almost got swayed the last time and she wasn't sure she will be returning from that mission...
Flag
yeah I guess you're right. i just wanted to see Gabriel turn against the ones who "built" them, at least for a while, it would've been fun to watch.
This week's espisode (spoiler if you haven't seen it) opened another possibility, that he would team up with the chinese "chippy" but it's seems that it's going to be a very dull show, with a few good moments in between, and no more than that, mostly like "almost human".
Although i enjoyed it a little more than the previous 2 episodes...
Flag
Better than the pilot, still not good enough to last these days. The plot to kill of the wife was a much better idea than making it about the main character on a quest to find his "lost love"... That is, as long as her death is going to have a long-term impact on Gabriel. Otherwise the whole wife thing was pointless in the first place. The "suicide" part in the bomber plot was admittedly, pretty stupid. I'm probably going to watch the entire season anyway just to see where it goes but if the show doesn't settle in and steady out it's reception then it's a guaranteed goner...
Flag
i thought ep 2 was worse than the pilot and ep 3 was slightly better than the pilot.
Flag
RedX episode was an insult to our Intelligence...

If the perp could get the explosive through TSA when molded as a chess set, why would they ever need a suicide bomber?

Take it through detection equipment at a hospital, government building, airport, whatever, leave it hidden, walk out, detonate. No suicide bomber needed.

Lame plot that shouldn't have made it out of the brainstorming room if they considered their audience intelligent in the least...
Flag
i thought the same thing. if it could be remotely detted, why the need for loss of life. dumb

i thought ep 2 was worse than the pilot and ep 3 was slightly better than the pilot.
Flag
Good remark!
Flag
Yusuf, the kid in the community center, is the right age to be Gabriel's son, and I'm somewhat disappointed that they didn't take that route. But knowing Amelia helped them in the end helped.

As for the show in general, the premise is good, but it hasn't yet found its footing. Hopefully, Mei Chen will help. But please don't make Riley a love interest.
Flag
Probably because Amelia went under cover 6 years ago and the kid was older than that. I think Gab would have known if the kid was his son. And, why would the kid be Muslim?
Flag
before reading this review. i just have to say i thought ep 2 was pretty bad. there was some good stuff in ep1 and now his "wife" is already dead and twice in 2 eps he fell into water from heights
Flag
Meh-meh.....Giving it the 4-5 episode test because of the cast but boy oh boy, there really is nothing new here.
Flag
What the heck did Amilia mean when she told Gab "It's just geography." ?
Flag
Intelligence seriously requires that you swallow a weekly stupid pill.

It's got lots of cool (albeit unrealistic) tech and beautiful people but predictable writing, boring acting, and again, asks that you insult your own intelligence in order to make through the episode.

I don't know if I will make it through the 4 episode test.
Flag
ep 3 was better, but not by a whole lot
Flag
I hope that they use the Amelia story line to introduce substantial tension between Gabriel and Riley for a long time. I think that would add some layers to the character parts of the story going forward.

On an unrelated topic, does anyone else find Marg's wardrobe absolutely baffling. Did she borrow that white shrug from her niece's first communion outfit?
Flag
Will give it a third episode - but very underwhelmed so far.

The whole wife missing and being found/see what happened went way faster than I thought - was thinking that would be a thread throughout the entire season but wham bam thank you m'am she's dead.

If the wife comes back from the dead (and I'm still actually watching the show) it would be time to say goodbye and good riddance - better than even odds that she will reappear but can't even get interested in a jump the shark moment as the show is just tepid.

Red in the Blacklist is the only reason I'm still watching that - and Intelligence doesn't have anything like Daniel Spader to give it some punch, and I like Josh Holloway !
Flag
Isn't Gabriel's wife still alive?
1. They never showed her ingesting any red balls.
2. It was her plan all along to have Gabriel follow her to the hospital.
3. The explosion happened off-screen.

Her initial plan of faking her death in Mumbai failed. She was later seen by an agent (Ory) driving the getaway car thus confirming that she is alive (all previous evidence to her being alive were merely speculative at the time). So, she faked her death again, this time "in front" of Gabriel, to stop him from searching for her.
Flag
Plausable theory. I'm a bit baffled and miffed at the apparent contradiction between her apparent HORROR that Gabriel was there in the hospital and her apparent sublte plan to get him there.

I suppose it's possible she was being monitored?

It's hard to know because the writers haven't proven they're SMART, yet. So, this could just be bad writing or it could be ingenious subterfuge.
Flag
I am sure that it is just "bad writing". Either she's dead and her presence in the 2 episodes was absolutely wasted (useless) since it only lasted 2 episodes...
If she faked her death this time she would have to hide from the terrorists also because she was designated as the carrier. Then she would do what? Useless plotline again.
Unless the terrorists are involved in her fake death... but if you can look back at the room she's in, there is no way that she could have escaped the building before the explosion. The room, maybe, but not the building. ( I counted 8 sec after they went through the window.)
So it will turn out to be "bad writing" again, and insulting, if they try to make us believe that she did...
Anyhow, they didn't follow the "Seattle" plotline, nor the "Amos and the woman with the other chip" plotline, so we probably won't hear about this for a while, if we ever...
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Very convincing! Going a step further, maybe she intentionally let Gabriel's people spot her in DC? Remember when he said that nobody can find her until she wants to be found . . .
Flag
I don't think that she did. She was very surprised to see Gabriel at the hospital... She gave the pass to the kid, for Gab "who will know what to do" meaning evacuate the people before the explosion. She also had positioned herself in the cafeteria close to the window where the explosion would do the least damages, just in case. She didn't know about the implant because it only has been there for 6 months.
While re-watching it I noticed that she told Gab that this time the terrorists used a timer instead of a remote trigger. So, it denies the idea of them being involved in a "fake death".

The flashbacks will probably more about Amelia's journey than Gabriel's. What brought her to this point while she was under cover?
What Tim has suggested: to see how the implant has changed Gabriel doesn't really need that many flashbacks since he only had the chip for 6 months. This we will (maybe) see throughout the season.
Anyhow, I still don't see why they bothered to created the character of Amelia... To fill up some space if they don't have enough material for Josh and Meghan?
More +
Flag
Flag
Ok, so Dr.Cassidy designed and installed a chip on Gabriel, 6 months ago, and then retired. Not any further interest in staying around to see how it goes. Then, not only he designs but *builds* another chip. I don't know how much money he has or what kind of tools he has in his garage but we're talking MICROchip, here: like you don't weld the components together by hand. Then, he gets kidnapped, the new chip is stolen and he's forced to install it in a Chinese woman. Then, Gabriel rescues him but they leave Amos, the rest of the bandits and the implanted woman there. No army raid, nothing! They've hired a SS agent to protect the technology so it doesn't fall into enemies' hands but that only seems to apply to the first chip. Well, what a surprise: Dr. Cassidy has NOW gone back to work at the facility and everybody act as if nothing happen. "Great" writing so far :p!

Last week the show ended with Strand telling Gabriel he has to go to Seatle to look at a case of radiation poisoning. Episode 2: well, the hell with that... lets just do something else. Oh! and the Bomb!!!! -> I always thought it was foolish for The Blacklist to reveal (end) it's serialized plot (of Red being Keen's father) in mid-first-season, but, this one broke all records: kill the serialized plot (Garbriel's wife) on the second episode.

For a moment there, I thought someone at the Network had messed up and broadcast, after the pilot, what was meant to be the last episode...

And what kind of neurotic or sadistic freak is Strand? After insisting and re-insisting to Gabriel that he needs to forget about finding his wife, in the 1st ep. she exchanges the Chinese criminal for informations on her whereabouts... And this week, she goes meet the kid at the mosque to confirm that it was her who gave him the hospital pass. What's her interest in this if she's not planning to tell Gabriel? Some sadistic game? Well, what the heck... next week episode will be about something else altogether anyway.

I don't think Gabriel's wife could have survive the explosion so we will probably see her through flashbacks. The only fast way out was through the window. But, considering the kind of storytelling they seem to plan for this series, they may come with some insane explanation on how she's survived, as you wrote, Tim, because, as many Network Exec. know: "TV viewers are dumb, anyway" so they can write anything we'll just swallow it...

And I agree about most comments concerning the "supersoldier". He doesn't do much more with his chip than the people of NCIS, Hawaii Five-0 and other show who use the grid to do their job. Except that he doesn't need his finger nor an earpiece, and, he can recreate crime scenes in 3D. That's the only cool part, actually. Maybe he was "preoccupied", but Bauer or Reese would have taken the guy in the elevator down in about half the time. Gee, Riley went through two bigger guys in a few seconds last week. Though I have to admit that the fight scenes and stunts at the beginning of last week's episode were much more consistent with his supersoldier status.

I'm very well under the impression that they don't give a damn about the consistency of the story. They're relying on the idea of a guy with a chip in his head and a few special effects is enough but it won't be. Very deceiving so far.

Unless somebody starts kicking some butts this show won't last very long unfortunately. Sad, since many, like me, were so happy to see Josh back on TV.
More+
Flag
I thought the same thing about the unlikeliness that Cassidy could have the means to build another chip like that outside the government resources.
Flag
No, Cassidy was forced out. Remember his son was angry at the boss for shoving him out after she'd gotten what she wanted. She replied she it was just different phases. Development then implementation and Cassidy was the implementation stage.
Flag
I don't remember that but, still it makes no sense. You have to keep the designer around during implementation as well. He's the only one who really knows how the technology works. And if she really thinks that, then, why did she allowed him back into the facility, mostly, after he's build another chip illegally? Who provided the equipment? How can she trust him now?

Nah... This is just bad writing.
Flag
I'll admit to the bad writing, but they apparently had other guys who understood the technology -- notably the tech that went turncoat.
Flag
Yeah... I forgot about that one too. This would also explain why she took Cassidy back since Amos is not there anymore.
Thanks.
Flag
Flag
re "re: "She'll probably be back in the future with some insane explanation"

Perhaps they will steal silly ideas from other series. The one who died was a clone, or a robot, or someone else with plastic surgery. Hopefully she just recurs in flashbacks.

re: "Intelligence wouldn't change much if, instead of having a microchip in his brain, Gabriel just had really fast thumbs or a government-grade version of Siri."

Yup, except unfortunately I think the show seems to wish to make an irrational leap in its implication of what he can do. The regular staff was saying they couldn't quick decrypt a message, but then stated that Gabriel could. That is absurd since a small microchip in his head should be no match for the computing power of external computers that can contain larger faster chips which would have far higher power requirements (it isn't clear how his chip is powered, and too much power use would result in heat that would kill his brain. I didn't hear fan noise or notice buckets of sweat when he thinks). Also for tasks that can be broken up into bits, an external computer can have large numbers of such chips.
More+
Flag
I agree with most of your comment. Though, the way I understood what the technician said is that he cannot decrypt the file but Gabriel can... as in "he has the right clearance to do so".
Flag
A couple of other minor annoyances hit me as I drifted off to sleep, last night...

Why did they need a suicide bomber in the hospital? Sure, the first one made sense. It was the only way to get past military security. But, the hospital had no such security. They could have just molded the explosive into some kind of craft and left it in a room. Stupid plot hole.

Also, modern windows are designed to NOT shatter when bumped into -- even at a running start. No way they would have gone through the window. It would have been kind of funny, though, wouldn't it, if they'd have just bounced back off it and then been blown up!

And, I totally agree with an earlier post that Gabriel should not have had such a hard time beating the heck out of the suicide bomber in the elevator. He's supposed to be one of the best trained fighters we have. Where would the suicide bomber have gotten that kind of training? (sigh)
Flag
I was totally bored, so I switched off after half the show and watched The Blacklist instead. As others said, the story here is stupidly handled, there's no humour, there's no excitement, there are no likeable characters, just cardboard bad guys and heroic Yanks saving the country. I'm out.
Flag
The worst part was Riley hesitating to shoot and the "supersoldier" Gabriel almost losing the fight in the elevator. Rileys cartoonish repeat of the dialogue also irritated me...but I still like the show, for now.
Flag
Yeah, I thought of that, too. HIGHLY unlikely for a suicide bomber to have enough skill and strength to take on a top Delta soldier.
Flag
My notes on this episode.
1. Gabriel needs a shrink. Badly. Like, how is it all these amazingly smart government people didn't figure that out yet?
2. I don't think we'll see a bad guy without an accent anytime soon but I liked that what prompted this whole mess was that the US (sorry, a private contractor sent by the US) made a mistake. It's not a show in which I expected "the US of A" to make an actual mistake, esp. not so soon as in the 2nd episode. So kudos for that.
3. The final scene actually made it somehow worth it for me. I really like the character of Lilian, and I love how in every episodes so far (only 2, I know...), we've had glimpses of how, as a much-higher-in-the-food-chain person, she has an agenda and does things that probably go beyond the immediate dramas of our heroes.
4. So disappointed with Gabriel's "microchip" so far.

I'll keep watching for now.
Flag
It was good so far so good with this show
Flag
it has been enjoyable so far.
Flag
I... enjoyed it. Mostly. In that I'll prolly watch the next episode to see where it goes.

But you mean to tell me that even with that chip in his brain he still has to drag himself out of bed to answer his iPhone? Why does he own an iPhone anyway? Shouldn't that all be in his iChip?

Also - the sudden death of his wife while not exactly undesired (I was expecting them to drag this on forever) did seem like quite the waste of a perfectly good story arc. What gives? I don't even know.
Flag
Iphone product placement
Flag
This show just feels like a modern day retread of the Gemini Man, only instead of Ben Murphy turning invisible so he can punch a bad guy in the back of the head, Josh Holloway uses GoogleMapsInHisHead to get around quicker. Very odd to apparently kill your protagonist's back story wife quite so quickly, but it's going to be very hard to justify her being alive after that - any way out is going to feel very contrived. Maybe she'll be back in flashbacks or as a Jiminy Cricket style in-chip conscience? What's most annoying about the show is how much it wastes Holloway - charming rogue in Lost (and Community!), really bland dumb guy in Intelligence, does he even smile?
Flag
I watch almost human and poi and thought i would give this show ago....the humour in almost human is top notch and poi well its the best show on tv...so coming from them to this...well its disappointing tbh....wont make it past 1st series
Flag
Its just middling at the moment and lacks humor. The characters haven't really stood out and the whole super computer thing has been done better in Chuck
Flag
Another episode lost. I'll give it one more chance...
Flag
Tim - after re-reading your review, I think you really hit the nail on the head. And with the silly use of his technology, I kept thinking - how is this really different than Finch on the most powerful computer in the universe and Reese with a earpiece in his head getting assistance. In POI's case - we get to very opposite ye extremely likeable characters instead of Sawyer just being snarky (he DOES do that well) and really piss poor dialogue. Anyway. I'm done.
Flag
I am not trying to insult anyone that likes it. I get a lot of crap for Farscape. But this show is Dog-Awful. Terrible dialogue. Cliché after cliché. And now (as the intro stated) Gabe is actually a mutant? He had a mutated gene that allowed him to interface with a chip? How exactly is that McGuffin supposed to work? I couldn't even finish ep 2. I don't think it will make it.
Flag
everyone i've heard talk about Farscape loved it. that show was awesome. anyway, ep 2 was the worst of the 3 so far. i'll give it another ep
Flag
I'd get crap because of the muppets. Though the aliens they did in Jim Henson's creature shop were far from Miss Piggy and Kermit
Flag
Flag
My thoughts exactly.
Flag
Do you have a chip in your head?!? ARE YOU READING MY MIND!?!?!?! ;)
Flag
Maybe I wouldn't be so hard on it if POI didn't already have this concept covered. And does it to perfection.
Flag
In fairness, there are some significant differences. Even three seasons in, The Machine doesn't really "give" FInch anything other than a SSN. (it gives Root more.) Finch has uber-hacking and computer manipulation skills, but his data doesn't come from The Machine.

Actually, Search had this concept covered 40 years ago...
Flag
Set aside The Machine for instance. Any data/surveillance in the world can be accessed in real time by a computer genius (Finch) and relayed in that real time to the special forces muscle (Reese) via earpiece while he completes a mission. Sawyer is just able to do both. Actually, POI's way is even MORE efficient because I doubt Sawyer can concentrate on finding data while he is fighting. Reese can keep with the Kung Fu while Finch is still accessing info. Hey - you are right. Not many stories are original anymore. But some are redone better than others.
Flag
In the show's defense, there is a difference. Mostly lag and being able to hack something by himself inside a bunker without an outside signal... like the remote locks in the pilot

With your system the guy has to ask the hacker, the hacker has to hack (with his hands), get the answer, and transmit it back to Google Glass or something. Then the guy has to read it which depending on line-spacing may take a few minutes.

In the show, the character can just "think" of what he wants and more-or-less gets it. And perhaps just "know" something instead of actually reading the paper with his eyes at 1-page-per-minute or something. The "showing the viewer" the actual page might just be for us to interpret what he's doing.

So... the regular way has a lot of lag and maybe the hacker just can't cut it but it depends on the data. With this way he can get the pertinent info quicker.
Flag
Flag
Still, the show could have been offering a different yet still entertaining view on the subject matter.
It is just that the execution of the whole premise is not done very well and thus not really interesting to watch.

I know that getting to a POI quality level is very difficult (especially POI season 3) but they still could have done a better job at trying.
Flag
I am actually happy with this episode. I like that the show is already resolving the wife story even in the 2nd episode. Some shows like to drag issues like this for a whole season.

I like the chemistry between the 2 leads. Actually the whole team from the head to the doctor and son is kind of fun to watch.

So far from what we have seen of the series, it seems it is following the style of TGW with a case every week and an arc story about the main characters. It is then more than a procedural which is what I like.

We still have the Chinese woman with the chip story not dealt with yet so there is still an arc. I also liked the fact that the doctor and son are now back working for the team. Again this is a continuation of the 1st episode.

I hope they continue to do this.

As with any Sci-fi show, the series will have its fair share of plot holes but if it remains fast pace, interesting and more season arc than a regular procedural than I am in !
More+
Flag
"Intelligence" had a 1.1 in the demo last night.

RIP.
Flag
WUT?? CBS claims this is America's #1 new drama!?!?! I bet I never see THAT pronouncement again. I commented earlier how CBS putting that out there after only airing it's premiere was insulting to our Intelligence (see what I did there?). I would guess a few network execs feel pretty freaking un - intelligent today (ok, I'll stop).
Flag
Actually I think the pilot was the most succesful pilot of the season if you just look at the number of people who watched it. Just the rating in the important demographic of 18-34 year olds (which they were aiming at) was abysmal.
Flag
The pilot wasn't bad as far as the 18-49 rating goes, it got a 2.4 and thus made "a pretty good, if unspectacular" first impression.

This second episode had it's ratings drop a total of 1.2 points to a 1.2 rating in the 18-49 demo. That is basically a open handed slap in the face, but - as far as I am concerned - deserved.
Flag
If you consider the fact that they were specifically targeting a younger audience with the show (i.e. Non-NCIS viewers) even that 2.4 was pretty abysmal.
Flag
I know that. My point is PROCLAINING IT "America's #1 New Drama" AFTER ONE FREAKING EPISODE!! And it was a pilot episode no less. One episode should not be the basis for that exclamation. The execs figure folks will see that and go, "What am I missing!?!" but in actuality, most of will know it was just the 1st episode and find it condescending. I did. It made me dislike the show even more.
Flag
Its like a humourless 'Chuck'. I'm in, but preparing myself emotionally for the possible cancellation...
Flag
Just watch POI the next night. It will be a very short mourning period.
Flag
POI and Justified are my priority shows at the moment. Always nice to have backups like this to save for the summer :)
Flag
People must think I work for Orci & Kurtzman the way I talk about this show - but if you haven't given Sleepy Hollow a try, I'd put that on the summer list as well. Favorite show this fall. And considering your avatar, I bet we have similar likes!
Flag
The "recurring" bit could mean that the wife will keep popping up in flashbacks and surveillance material, rather than coming back from the (seemingly) dead.

Flag
Or she could just be dead. Didn't they kill off one of the show stars of The Following last year in the first episode, have her hang around for a corpse shot in the second episode, and never be seen again?

Anyone remember Agent Jennifer Mason last year? No? Didn't think so.
Flag
What the hell did I just watch? Was that suppose to be emotional?? I mean we just met this guy last week and we are suppose to care about whether his wife is a terrorist or not?? And what's riley's instance on seeing Gab as a human? Because she had a manslaughter charge she values life? Awful!
Flag
I thought, clever they gave a plausible explanation how the kid got the visitors tag from the hospital. Then I thought why the hell did they need highly sophisticated explosives to blow up a hospital? You can just walk in with a box marked TNT and no one would stop you (just don't go through A&E/ Emergency room they have security.)
Flag
Either this show is going to run at a pace that would make '24' and 'Homeland' look like they're in slow motion, they're about to run out of material VERY quickly, OR...

The biggest motivator for Gabriel and huge secret for the agency was introduced and resolved in the first 2 episodes? Really? That just doesn't pass the stink test. Much like what I fear the explanation for her being alive will be. It would have to mean the bomb was never inside her which would mean that she either killed her partner or is in on it. Which would make her a bad guy and leaving a trail of breadcrumbs was simply a ruse. But why? If she shows up alive, her cover is blown. All to keep from being followed? Knowing Gabriel, he's gonna try and hunt down her killer, which leads back to her partner being dead. All seems unnecessary for a woman who "isn't going to be found unless she wants to be found". If she really is a good guy...well, there's no series of events that makes sense to me.

Even if I can't take this show too seriously, I want to like it. I see it in a very similar light with very similar plot lines as 'Almost Human'...right down to the double crossing wife/girlfriend. The tech involved in both shows is, "Hey, wait a minute..." out there, so much that you can just sorta ignore it and go with it. Which leaves the characters. I would watch Karl Urban and Michael Ealy spar all day. Josh Holloway and Meghan Ory...meh. The chemistry could be there, but the script hasn't given them the opportunity to find out. And sorry, but Corey Flood beats Catherine Willows regardless of measure.

There's a lot of good shows making their season/series debut and Monday night is already pretty busy. With 'Almost Human' IMO being a better version of the same show...I dunno if there's going to be room for 'Intelligence'. I'll still give it the 5 episode trial run, but things aren't looking good.
More+
Flag
The idea of a man with a microchip in his brain being a government superweapon who can log onto the web without a smartphone, listen to telephone calls without a smartphone, and download satellite data without a smartphone is kind of cool, I guess, but Intelligence wastes the idea.

I don't think that's really fair. We saw how useful the chip was in the pilot; it was much more useful than simply using a gov-issued iPhone + Google. The satellite imagery combat, the "metabolizing" the information, accessing all information everywhere, remote-controlling key-pads. etc.

In Ep2, well he did do some hacking into a gov database to see the original non-redacted file which is something they admitted they couldn't do. But there wasn't as much combat stuff going on and it looked like some of the person/taxi searching was about as effective with regular computers.

So Ep1 showed the cool stuff he can do while Ep2 showed more of the limitations and how the regular gov network can get some of the basic stuff done just as easily.
Flag
My guess is Zuleikha Robinson will be back via flash-backs, either in regards to her past with Gabriel or when they try to figure out what she was doing for those missing 8 years.

Could she be alive? I guess. She did technically die off-screen, and in a spy-show with heavy sci-fi elements an off-screen death is never certain. Maybe she HAD already thrown up the bombs or lied about them being in HER and she ran somewhere else in the X seconds she had before it went off. Maybe she was a clone? etc.

Flag
Well, I guess this is just another case of history repeating: Timothy being unreasonably unfair towards a sci-fi/action show, that's not even begun to walk yet.

I would have thought, Timothy, that after all the series and all the seasons, and all the episodes that you have viewed and reviewed, that you would be substantially more understanding...

...What is worse still, is that you have actually been providing decent, fair and balanced reviews recently - Perhaps you were drunk/high when you wrote them?

Regardless of which, I have finally learned my lesson: NEVER EVER read any review that Timothy Surette posts, regarding and/or related to a sci-fi, action, or procedural series, or any combination of the aforementioned genres.e
Flag
How is Tim being "unreasonably" unfair? How would he be reasonably unfair?

Every day we make decisions what to watch and what not to watch... and what we decide not to watch we typically don't give any chance to walk yet. At least Tim watches the stuff for a few episodes...

And it's hardly like he's alone in his opinion, going by the postings here. And as I recall, he was pretty enthusiastic about Under the Dome last summer. It was when he did give it a chance to walk, and it stumbled repeatedly, that he had issues with it.

It'd be nice to have the time to watch every show and give it a chance to walk. But even when there were three networks, that wasn't really doable. (And we couldn't record the other two channels back then if we did. :) )
Flag
Will they ever show Sawyer using a computer? How meta would that be? Oh, well, I guess meta means something else... Redundant is more like it.
Flag
Haha now I wonder if he enjoys playing computer games!
Flag
First rule of TV death: no body, no death. Amelia lying is the obvious solution. There was a small delay between the window exit and the explosion - enough time for Amelia to get elsewhere before a bomb goes off (which she never ingested in the first place). And she obviously set up the confrontation at the hospital. Further, she set it up with easy access to the pool, instead of being in the midst of the hospital as she would have been if she truly intended to maximize the damage. My guess is that she wants Gabriel to stop looking for her. The real questions are whether Lilian knows Amelia is an active deep-cover agent, and whether Riley knew and collaborated in fooling Gabriel.
Flag
Maybe she got to the X-ray room . . .
Flag
Sorry, as much as I love Meghan Ory, I can't stand another episode.
Flag
C'mon, Megan Ory demands at least the 4-ep. test.
Flag
agreed. she is too fine to forget about so easily. ep3 was better IMO
Flag
Seriously, if I had a chip like that in my head, the FIRST thing I'd do would be to track down mariepotts and all her friends, and permanently cut off their access to the internet. God, they're annoying.
Flag
The reason they wouldn't put that chip in most soldiers' heads: porn.
Flag
Just slip a pizza under my door every morning. Not. Leaving. My room.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members