An Intelligence Community
CBS (ended 2014)

Intelligence S01E01: "Pilot"

CBS has taken Google Glass to the extreme with Intelligence, its new action thriller starring Josh Holloway. The man formerly and forever known as Sawyer from Lost plays Gabriel, a Cyber Command Op with a microchip in his brain that allows him to surf the web and download satellite feeds with his mind. It comes in handy when he needs to beat up bad guys who don't speak English and protect the digital security of the United States, pre-screen new coworkers, or win an argument. But as a gimmick for a new TV show, it needs a big upgrade if Intelligence wants to even approach the level of greatness attained by the show it will most often be compared to, its network brethren Person of Interest. (Note: Intelligence will also be compared to Chuck, but the two series are so wildly different in tone that we should stop... unless Gabriel goes undercover at a Subway.) I was much higher on Intelligence when I watched the pilot over the summer, but after re-watching it spending more time thinking about it, I'm having more and more doubts. 

But don't worry! Intelligence isn't a bad show, in fact, it's exactly the kind of entertainment that CBS has made a fortune on: Good guys knocking the turbans off of bad guys, basically. And if we look at Intelligence from that angle, it's exactly as expected and a perfectly fine way to spend an hour of time in front of the television. It has the star we all want to see in Holloway, it has babes for all ages in Meghan Ory and Marg Helgenberger, it has fancy computer graphics and techy mumbo-jumbo to assist high-stakes operations, and most importantly, it has Holloway punching and shooting bad guys.

However, since Intelligence is relying on technology as one of its main hooks (after Holloway's square jaw), the show's use of tech is open to the scrutiny of nitpickers like me. Based on the pilot, it doesn't seem like this fusion of man and machine has been particularly well-thought-out. It appears that Intelligence will use Gabriel's special "enhancements" as they serve the story, turning his gadget-brain on and off at will instead of letting Gabriel use it like he would in real life, which is ALL THE TIME. If he needs to open an electronic lock while in the custody of some nasty Pakistani militants, as was the case in the show's cold open, voila! [mind connects to Pakistani hideout Wi-fi, hacks Pakistani security controls] And then *click*, it's open! However, if he needs to open up some satellite imaging (i.e. Google Maps) to detect that he's running toward a dead-end cliff, as he also should have done later in the cold open, then he'll forget that he's got Google Glass in his brain. But whatever, because the decision to ignore his high-tech abilities in that moment paid off in a sweet cliff jump into a river several stories below. And I suspect that's going to be my major gripe with Intelligence going forward: Gabriel might not be always connected as a superweapon like he should be, because the laws of TV will get in the way. On paper, Gabriel cliff diving sounded way cooler for an action thriller than the more practical move of Gabriel charting the easiest route back to America via his Maps app, so a high dive it was.

And if Gabriel is pinned down in a shootout with some Chinese bad guys in a blacklit paintball arena (did a CBS producer have a Groupon for that place or something?), as he was later in the episode, the writers will add heart-pounding tension with an out-of-place satellite that needs to be realigned in order for Gabriel to power up and register heat signatures and a three-dimensional rendering of the building. This was essentially the horror-movie trope of "I can't get a cell-phone signal!" except taken all the way up to the most technologically advanced branch of the U.S. Government. What was that satellite doing if it wasn't focused on Gabriel—trying to get free Cinemax? The scene was a near-miss that felt artificially added to a bland television show rather than part of a smart, escapist, near-future sci-fi series that obsesses over its science. I haven't watched Intelligence's second episode yet, but I hear a similar reception hiccup occurs when Gabriel is in... an elevator (ugh).

The most disappointing about Intelligence's series premiere was its lack of intelligence ambition. You'd think a show about a man with a compute-o-brain would delve into the philosophical implications of a man with a compute-o-brain. Nope. As of now, Intelligence plays Gabriel's power as a cool parlor trick with no downsides (except for the normal gripes we all have about cell phone coverage). He's just a guy who happens to be able to mentally Wikipedia, he's not a cornucopia of existential questions concerning the union of man and machine. When I first heard the idea for this show, I immediately wanted to see how having a super Wi-fi microchip in a man's brain would mess him up. To me, that's the more interesting idea, certainly more interesting than how the chip makes him badass. (Fox's Almost Human suffered a similar problem, in that it started out as just a cop show with a futuristic paint job.) And really, if this is how Gabriel's ability will be portrayed, is he that much different than if he was just a normal dude wearing one of those corny Bluetooth headsets, but with a guy who told him everything on the other end? Aside from the "virtual evidence walls" he walks around in (which are totally cool), Gabriel and his mighty microchipped brain aren't a whole lot different than a Delta Force soldier wearing the contact lens version of Google Glass. It seems like a missed opportunity if you ask me, but I will now take the opportunity to remind myself that this was just the pilot, and maybe the smart, engrossing stuff is yet to come.

After all, Intelligence DOES have enough going on elsewhere to make it watchable. Can I just say how happy I am that Holloway is back on television? The guy is as charismatic as they get, and his "Bizarro Sawyer" character of Gabriel, who's two-thirds good guy and one-third bad guy as opposed to Sawyer's two-thirds bad/one-third good, has enough of a rebellious streak in him that Holloway can play him almost exactly like he played Sawyer. Ory certainly isn't a strain on the eyes as Riley, Gabriel's new handler, and if these two aren't having sex by the season finale, it'll be the most unrealistic thing about the show. Their relationship doesn't break any ground; he needs to be reined in and she's the stickler-slash-bodyguard who's tasked with controlling him for CyberCom and Roboboss Lillian (Helgenberger). But tried-and-true, I guess? 

If there's one thing to get really excited about with Intelligence, it's what transpired in the pilot's fading moments, as the Chinese lady who got upgraded with the other super-microchip woke up after what we thought was a botched implant surgery. That's the best evidence we have that Intelligence actually has a plan beyond the elevator pitch ("Josh Holloway kicks people's butts with help from his computer brain!") that got the show greenlit in the first place. Who knows, maybe it will go somewhere and that woman will have a mental Bing-off with Gabriel or they'll join forces to become some dual-processor superperson. That idea alone will keep me invested through the first four episodes, at least. 

So, Intelligence: strong actors, a decent amount of punching and shooting, and a major idea that's not fully realized yet. So far we've only seen the pilot, but a pilot is supposed to give viewers a good idea of what the series will become, and right now the series is only about a badass who avoids the middleman that is an iPhone. Show us how the new tech has changed Gabriel and what it means on a philosophical level, and you've got an interesting series. Otherwise, it's just another CBS shoot-'em-up.

NOTES

– That's Zuleikha Robinson as Gabriel's wife, and I'm contractually obligated as a TV journahack to mention that this makes Intelligence a Lost reunion. Lance Reddick (Lost's Abaddon) is also booked as a guest star. 

– Speaking of the wife, what do we all think of that plot? So she was a government agent who turned? Except maybe she didn't? And maybe she's dead? Except definitely she's alive? And Lillian doesn't want Gabriel looking for her, except she also does? 

– In this Hollywood Reporter interview, Intelligence producers Tripp Vinson and Michael Seitzman implied that the ramifications of fusing man and machine would be explored in the series, but if that idea was such a big part of the show, wouldn't they have dropped a hint of it in the pilot? 

– It totally makes sense that a top-secret, government-created man-machine who's alone on the Pakistan-India border would make sure his hair looked okay after he took off his hat. 

– Anyone else bummed that Amos was the traitor? Or should we be relieved that Intelligence didn't keep the "goofy IT dude" character around? 

– Here come the nerd jokes! Amos, when Gabriel found Riley's naughty photos: "Don't worry, he can't print." Gabriel, when asked how he knew Chinese: "I've got an app for that." Zing! Pow! *slide whistle sound* Those lines were so corny that I truly loved them. 

– Re: Person of Interest comparisons: Isn't Intelligence basically like if Finch and Reese shared the same body but there was no Machine? That's what separates Person of Interest from Intelligence, the uncertain factor that comes from the evolving Machine. 

– Re: Re: Person of Interest comparisons: Placing Intelligence between NCIS and Person of Interest seems about right, doesn't it? 

– Programming update: Don't forget, Intelligence moves to its regular Monday-at-10pm time slot next week, on January 13!

What'd you think of the Intelligence series premiere? Will you be back for Episode 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/31/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

144 Comments
Comments (144)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The result is that any wounded warrior with traumatic brain injury could end up 500 to 1000 percent more intelligent than original. My wife says I pick up too many computer viruses to test it safely.

Flag
Chiefimagineer=1950 The concept of a microprocessor in the form of a polished, leadless chip carrier package that can safely rest on the surface of the gray matter dates back to about 2000. the nerves supply more than enough operating voltage, and acts more like Johnny Mnemonic.
Flag
WHY DID YOU CANCEL? THIS SHOW HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL. Don't you think there needs to be a Character that makes the rounds into every other show,stays for a few weeks and moves on to the next? What a concept!!
'Intelligence' was a year ago, and I am still trying to think how they can improve it and bring it back. .... But they never will.
Flag
Yes, I was pretty bummed at Amos being the bad guy, but what a twist to hit us with in just the pilot. Anybody else hoping for crossover episodes with Person of Interest?
Flag
Huge ripoff of continuum including the tech, the importance of humanity trusting itself over technology and even the paintball scene. Come on cbs come up with something original. Of course they are just giving their complacent Neanderthal viewers what they want
Flag
Have to give CBS a BIG F U for scheduling this show at the same time as the Blacklist and Archer for that matter.
Flag
The first purpose of a pilot is to introduce the main characters and give the viewers and idea of what the show is about. I think Intelligence did that. I don't remember POI's pilot being "so much" better.
I believe the show has a lot of potential and we'll see after 3 or 4 episodes if it holds. The only thing that I saw which could hurt/kill the show is the "second chip" plot line. They are doing the same thing on POI: bringing a second machine... If it is just a short story branch then it's ok. If they want to make these permanent it can kill both shows and probably will. It will be less of a lost for Intelligence because it's just starting but we got kind of attached to POI's characters ( I still miss Taraji).
Strangely enough, I was expecting Root (or Finch, or even Reese) to eventually become connected to the Machine in Gabriel's way of some sort. Maybe not a chip but through some kind of electro-telepathic device the Machine would design.
Does anybody else think that POI, if managed well, could very well become a great prequel to Cameron's Terminator? ;)
Eagerly waiting for the next episodes of Intelligence to see how it goes... I hope it won't let us down like The Blacklist did.
More+
Flag
Most of you are far too negative in my opinion. I would agree that a lot of what we saw was silly, but it's still nowhere near the level of silliness that we get on The Blacklist, and people aren't tearing that show apart on the review pages.

I dislike procedurals a lot more than most people, but there's a lot of potential for serialized storytelling here. There will certainly be a lot of cases of the week, but if they want to get away from that, there are a number of different ideas they can explore: Bad people trying to steal the chip or develop their own. The wife story. The chipped chinese woman. Software upgrades and side effects.

The fact that the sci-fi technology on this show gives them lots of information means that we won't have to watch the thing I hate the most about procedurals: interview scenes. There won't be a lot of "where were you between 8 and 9 PM Tuesday night?" because they have another way of finding answers. This is something they probably learned from POI.
Flag
I have to disagree with two statements from this review: 1) "Intelligence will also be compared to Chuck, but the two series are so wildly different in tone that we should stop" and 2) "it's exactly the kind of entertainment that CBS has made a fortune on: Good guys knocking the turbans off of bad guys, basically. And if we look at Intelligence from that angle, it's exactly as expected and a perfectly fine way to spend an hour of time in front of the television."

My reasoning:
1) Intelligence is pretty clearly the drama version of Chuck, only if Bryce Larkin had received the intersect rather than Chuck Bartowski getting it. This is much like how The Mentalist is the drama version of Psych, only if Shawn Spencer was no longer pretending to be psychic. While that is a bit of an oversimplification, Intelligence has many of the same overall story aspects that Chuck has and even some of the humor elements (like the cheesy "I have an app for that" line referenced in the review). The biggest difference between Chuck and Intelligence is that from the pilot forward, Chuck actually addressed how this was changing Chuck's life and he was no longer the same man he was before he got the fateful e-mail. As noted in the review, there's no sign yet that Gabriel is any different than he was before despite being the one person in the world (at least at first) who had this sort of technology implanted in him. This goes beyond the tech itself and the points made in the review - it's also the fact that Gabriel is so important that he should have a team protecting him. Obviously, that's what Riley character is for, but this did not seem to be part of the plan for Gabriel prior to the surgery. Why would that not be part of what Gabriel has to agree to BEFORE the chip is implanted? The very second Chuck had the intersect in him, he had both an NSA agent and a CIA agent assigned to him. He had to contend with the mental effects of having a supercomputer in his brain AND the fact that he now has handlers who have forever changed his life.

2) While, on the surface, this statement may seem true (a lot of action taking down the bad guys), there is not a CBS show on the air now with half as many plot holes in it. Whether it's one of the NCIS shows, CSI, The Mentalist, Criminal Minds, or so on, they are much more thought out than Intelligence. Hostages was the only CBS show with similar plot holes and even that was much more thought out. For instance, regardless Of what Lillian's belief of Ameilia, there is absolutely no way that Lillian would give Gabriel, the lovelorn apparent widower, the only billion dollar computer chip of its kind. I know that was addressed in the pilot (sort of) by Riley asking that question, but the lack of an answer from Lillian is an admission from the writers that this wasn't very logical. Second, why dismiss Dr. Cassidy - the only person who is apparently smart enough to merge biology with technology and therefore the only person who could troubleshoot any issues that are not tech related? The answer is that it's a clunky way of having a messy backstory and a potential motive for Nelson Cassidy to possibly be the kidnapper. Third, why create another chip after you've been fired? Fourth, when no one had been told about this new, second chip, how did the bad guys know about it? Fourth, who were these bad guys, really? Their names were given, but that's pretty much it. What kind of organization is this and what are they trying to do? Seemed like a cartoonish way of creating the evil organization. Fifth, just what kind of plan was this? Kidnap the doctor and make him install an untested chip into a subject (who also has this rare, genetic mutation that they just mentioned as an aside to explain why there's not an army of these robocops). You can't really kill the doctor after the operation for the same reasons that Lillian shouldn't have fired him. So, you're just going to keep him employed by you with the hope that Lillian and her team will never be able to find him? And when the woman doesn't wake up five seconds after the surgery, you assume that it's clearly a failure and the doctor screwed up despite the fact that he warned you that there's no way to know when she'll wake up. Sixth, when you had no patience for this new woman, you decide to slice into Gabriel to get his chip with the expectation that it would just be easy to get to him after everything that has played out and that you'd actually get away with it. Seventh, it actually was that easy because Lillian decided that having Gabriel and the injured Riley alone at the safe house was enough protection when someone had just taken a shot at Gabriel.

I could go on, but the point to #2 is that there are so many holes in the pilot's plot that it makes Hostages look like Shakespeare. Intelligence got the NCIS lead in, which makes the pilot a hit. But, it's about to go up against The Black List (which was not good for Hostages). Add to it the fact that there are all these issues to the plot and it'll be interesting to see how the ratings play out. Intelligence may get more of a "being on CBS" bump than Hostages did, so maybe it will find a groove that will allow it to succeed, but it does need to get better.
More+
Flag

Anyone else annoyed CBS calls this the #1 New Drama? After 1 episode? Ok - the ratings were solid. Awesome! I'm glad! (it IS Sawyer after all). So it won the night on it's premiere night. Just makes me feel like networks find us all so damn stupid and that saying that will make me feel like it is better than it is.
Flag
Yeah. Barely gets a mention in promos now. "New Drama" is the best they can do. Suck it CBS. Although I hate it I am right about this show. Love Josh Holloway. Hope he winds up in Justice League.
Flag
Enjoyable but nothing new. Josh and Meghan are good but no sexual tension while his wife is alive. Reminds me of a serious Chuck or lots of other post human shows. Cliched but could move past it like Almost Human did.
Flag
Could be good... I will give it a chance.
Flag
I don't know what I will do with this show... I like the actors, I found the pilot a bit boring. Maybe I'll wait and see what people's reactions are after a few episodes. Too many shows to watch!
Flag
A little cliche but I still liked it. I'll be back. So glad to see Sawyer back on my TV!
Flag
Not a bad pilot. Very familiar and contrived concept...but with potential. The issue I see is that nobody in the writers' room seemed to have given the audience any real clue about Gabriel's powers and limitations. If the guy can hack into a door from a few feet away or download info from a satellite, then surely if he's in trouble he can just email his handlers? Or set off all the alarms at the office? Give us some creative abilities other than just memorising languages and insta-maps.

If it were me, I'd be building up the character to be a technological superman, yet have his bosses start to wonder if they can truly control him. Maybe having him able to hack and bypass every tech on the planet makes his bosses start thinking about how to 'leash' him and restrict him. Could be that there's a shadowy backer that can force him to do things with the chip.

I'll give it a chance, but we need a 'wildcard' somewhere early on that takes the storytelling in an unforeseen direction.
Flag
Oh, one other little niggle...

I can accept that Amos would sell out. But, I absolutely can NOT believe that he'd be able to look Gabriel in the eye, all stone cold, and say, "we're here to capture YOU!" That's just too big leap for a computer geek.

Sure, there could be a back story where it fits, but that's just too out there.

More realistic would be he's torn. He really wanted the money but he hates what he did and he doesn't want his old friends hurt. But, there's no backing out, now.
Flag
Count me in for episode 2. The pilot was better than I anticipated. I was expecting Hard Target and got something closer to POI. Let's see if they can keep it interesting.
Flag
Chuck was better.
Flag
It was ok, I'll stick around for a few episodes in the hope it improves. The pilot wasn't great, but had some nice parts.
I was disappointed with the way they introduced the main character - it was just "Here he is....deal with it!", and the backstory was just heaped on top of it, which I didn't care about because I don't know the characters yet.
Flag
It was better than I expected. It was not ground breaking but still kind of cool. I was expecting it to be procedural but there is already some serialized elements in the pilot and that is great !

I did not expect Amos to be the traitor. I was hoping he would be the birkhoff of this show but it turns out he was not. Quite bumped!

I will keep watching and hope it would get better and better. Anything close to Nikita would be great. The girl cop looks like she could fight like Nikita!
Flag
I'm really starting to dislike television. This was a long forty plus minutes of mediocre that il never get back and I wont waste again. The house of cards cant come soon enough
Flag
Since we are comparing this show to POI already, why not compare the two pilots?

• Both offer a "new" take on the evolution of IT and/or its creators.
  • Both have a 2-person team at the center. Finch/Reese and Gabriel/Riley.
  • Both have set up an assortment of side characters.
  • Both shows did NOT hint at any morality-issues in their pilots. That came up on POI way later. So Intelligence still might do the same.
  • Intelligence set up an obvious season arc with the last scene.
    POI did not set up an arc, even though it introduced HR which turned out to be a 2-season arc.
    Basically it seems that both shows have/had a well thought out overall concept and knew where they were going.
  • POI has the IT as a driver of the story - it gives out "persons of interest" - but otherwise the IT is (at least for the first season) a lot more on the sidelines.
    Intelligence has the IT (chip) inside of one of the main characters, so it is much more central to the story in that it is a tool for Gabriel. But it is not (yet?) the force driving the story.
  • On POI We knew the machine existed and that it gave Finch the numbers. That is a very reduced use of an AI - and access is VERY limited to nonexistend.
    On Intelligence Gabriel can use his capabilities almost at will and for whatever he wants. The access to it is unlimited.
  • Both shows have great actors from Lost :D
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, in a way the two pilots were very similar. But the main story setup is very different. POI's first season was more or less standalone episodes to set up the universe, establish storylines and characters and get an interested audience compfortable with everything. I would suspect that Intelligence will try a similar approach, but it is not guaranteed that it will be successful at it or that it will reach the same level of real-life relevance. And we (and the show) can only hope to reach the level of quality and awsome-ness that POI does right now.

A pilot is only a starting point, it is not really fair to compare it to a show that right now is in its third season.
More+
Flag
I like Josh Holloway - I liked Sawyer a lot, and I liked it when I read that he was working out, and martial arts, and doing stunts for this new series. I know Josh hasn't done much since LOST ended; and then I read that he made $58 million in 2013, so he's looking for the right thing to do next and taking his time because he's got screw-u money.
He has an estimated net worth of $185 million; smart stock investments, substantial property holdings, lucrative endorsement deals, yada yada.
Who the Hell told him THIS is the right thing to do?!? I'll watch a few more to see if it takes off, but I don't think so.
Josh! - go talk to George Clooney.
Flag
That story is from a site that ONLY contains fake news. http://en.mediamass.net/people/josh-holloway/highest-paid.html
Flag
if it is fake news why does it show up so high on Google search for 'net worth'? their algorithms should be better than that
other sites say he's worth $22 Mil - So it's not $185M, but money is no longer an issue for him. Seems like he is just relaxing and taking what he can get when he feels like working. It kind of sucks because I want to see more from him. But I don't think his career is his top priority anymore if he took this role - maybe he only read one ep script.
I really don't see this show making it up against Castle and Blacklist - but that's CBS' fault not his
Flag
The $22 M figure seems suspicious as well. It's just a claim stated (here) without references or explanation. But it's plausible, since he seems to have made at least $6.7 M on Lost (low estimate based on this). He would still have had to make some very successful investments (or have an inheritance or something) to get the figure up to $22 M.

The mediamass article is definitely fake. You can search the site for any actor they have a picture of, and a "highest-paid actor in the world" article will be generated automatically. For example, this guy. You'd have to ask Google why these fake articles are ranked so high. It must have something to do with the number of links to the site that are found elsewhere on the net, so I guess I just contributed to it.

LOL, I googled "josh bowman net worth" (Daniel on Revenge) and the "highest-paid actor in the world" article is #1 in the search results.
Flag
What software is he running? Windows CE? Can we look forward to a service pack mid season?
Kind of strange that Saywer, sorry Brainiac, could do a facial recognition i like 1,7s but failed to recognize that same bad china man was in the process of pulling his gun. Its like a supersmart AND superstupid computer at the same time.
Flag
Bleh. I listened to the "Should I watch..." thing and lowered my expectations before watching, but I still found myself really disliking it. The story and premise is still cool enough, as was the plot to begin the series, but the acting and overall writing was baaaaad. I'll still give it another few episodes, but... meh.
Flag
Not that was not as good as it could have been. So much wasted potential in the storytelling, the characters, the technical possibilities. It would have been a one episode only series for where it not for the lady opening her eyes in the last second.
Flag
Riley: My parents split when I was 10. My mother started dating a new guy soon after. And for the next five years,uh... I didn't do anything to protect us from him. Then one day, I...I did.

When did I hear this story before? Oh yeah, it was Kate, Sawyer's love interest in Lost.
Flag
Predictable. Not always a bad thing but in this case it made it kinda boring.

The virtual evidence walls were a complete rip-off from Continuum, where they are done much better. Of course, she is from the future, so there's that. ;-)

A strong cast. Helgenberger lived up to expectations, for her sake I
hope the show is good. Ory had a good start, I've only seen her as Red
Riding Hood in OUAT, so I had no idea what to expect from her.
I never got into Lost so I know nothing about Holloway, but that tight-lipped grimace when he talks is really annoying.

Getting excited about the Chinese lady waking up? I thought that was the most predictable part of the whole episode.
BTW, where was she when they cleared out the warehouse. They got the rougue chinese agent, they should have gotten her as well.

Still, it has potential. So I'll give it the four ep. tryout.

The wife plot? 'Did she or didn't she' is a tension device and will be dragged on ad nauseum.
Flag
The whole premise is laughably absurd. A Delta Force soldier needs a secret service bodyguard? Please. I maybe could have stomached partner, but a bodyguard?

If he really cares about what happened to his wife, why not go off grid and go find her? Why punch in at work everyday and just moan to everyone about how important she is.

The man that created "arguably" the most important piece of technology on the planet and he has no security or surveillance ? And is secretly building another chip because he likes to "tinker" Ahahahaha GTFOH. With what? Supplies and equipment he picked up from the local Radio Shack?

In the wake of this new tech, have all previous forms of Intelligence technology has become obsolete? Because this agency seem remarkably inept at even knowing what their own employees are doing.

Verdict: Gank, salt, burn
Flag
My thoughts exactly. Remember the short lived Eleventh Hour? THERE was a reason for a body guard. The guy was all brains, not brawn. But, here? No. He just needs someone to watch his back, not be a body guard. Spot on.

Like so much of the pilot -- they can't quite decide what their characters are supposed to be. Any of them.
Flag
I guess you could view it as the poor man's Person of Interest, but having watched the current POI episode, then Intelligence with the intention of finding a ton of similarities (cue any shows that premier on the CW network, cuz let's face it, they're all the same even if that doesn't stop me from watching them) i found that in the end i just kinda took Intelligence for what it was: a drama/action/love lorn lost man searching for a wife and/or girlfriend, et al., that cannot find/is dead/has betrayed him in some way and the ramifications have hurt him/other people and yet he still is desperate to find her, all while a gorgeous, single, perfectly able handler/protector/agent/detective/body guard is totally attainable and right there even though he can't see her blah blah blah.....Basically, we all know this story.
No, it's not even in POI's intense and perfect orbit, but does it need to be? I realized about 5 minutes in i stopped drawing comparisons to POI because i knew it would never compare (and honestly it didn't have too) because it was just kinda.....fun. POI (in my humble, not snooty, opinion, before people get alllll up in my grill for saying this) is a thinking person's show. You must follow every detail and even at times watch the episode or even season(s) again to catch everything and you still won't (not that that's bad). For instance, my husband and I watched the Tom Cruise movie Jack Reacher, and all i could think the WHOLE TIME was OMG this is the movie version of POI without the machine!!! My husband loved it, was totally entralled and followed everything that happened. But then, he just can't sit through an episode of POI without getting up to do something or just playing a handheld video game while i'm staring at my screen on bated breath. I asked him why he liked that movie and not POI which are pretty darn similar, and he just shrugged and said it wasn't his thing. Not sure if that proved a point, but my husband doesn't like a show he has to continuously follow on a week to week basis (this is why i still can't get him to watch Fringe) whereas i love that kind of thing.
So Intelligence is a palette cleanser of sorts. Still techy, still in the whole electronics/saving people realm, but it's lighter and a little less believable than POI (especially nowadays). I initally wrote POI off as being kind of sci fi, and then it took a turn and became relatable in our current society. I don't see Intelligence that way at all. I see it as more fantastical and sci fi ish, and i think that's how they meant it to be seen (so as not to compare it to POI).
In conclusion, did i love it? No, it fell on the mediocre side. Was it tolerable? Yup. Will i watch it again? Yup. Why? Because i love the genre, sci fi, fantasy, whatever you will (and of course, i'm a romantic so i live for that stuff). The cast is well rounded (already better than Agents of Shield one ep in) and I'm not a snobby TV watcher. All my shows don't have to be up to POI standards because i'd probably up and die from all the anxiety that show causes me. And if everyone wants to compare it to POI, why not compare it to Almost Human then too? And then compare Almost Human to the Terminator series (movies or show, take your pick) and Fringe, and then compare Sleepy Hollow to Fringe while you're at it.......see my point? Don't be snobs people. It's a TV show. Enjoy it....or don't.
More+
Flag
Awful..just awful
Flag
It is one of those shows that is like NCIS, NCIS LA, and Person of Interest where there is a lot of action and then rely heavily on technology. During the pilot episode when they where talking about the technological stuff I got a little bit of a headache. Other than that I believe this show will be a good one.
Flag
Well, it was certainly no Human Target, but I thought it was fun. Plot holes are a big part of TV and every show has them to some extent--except maybe for The Good Wife. If I can successfully ignore the plot holes in The Blacklist, I can ignore these. I was entertained as the hour seemed to fly by and I wanted more, so I'll be back next week...
Flag
First impression, it's 'Chuck' with an upgrade. A guy that with billion dollar tech on his head, needs someone to keep him safe and he also has to look for someone. Sounds familiar? They even already roll out a potential enemy chick with a chip.
Cyber-rendering sounds and looks cool but don't you have to be an analyst to connect all the dots of data? Isn't he a Delta? Can you imagine having this in Carrie Mathison's brain? What else can this chip n guy do?
Too early to judge but I'll be looking out for the next episode.
Flag
Too many eye rolling moments to count. Too predictable too improbable. To have that kind of tech and let him walk around..... the Stuxnet thing was a great line though. I hope they lose the girl I don't like her already and I think they could have done better for a bodyguard. And what's up with opening a wound and cleaning it with tapwater in that dirty workshop!
, I hope this gets better.
Flag
It's really contrived that a ex-Delta Force operator need a bodyguard/babysitter while he's in the field. It didn't look like he was even wearing a kevlar vest. Why not just give him a team of badasses like him to help keep him out of harm's way? It's also contrived that a genetic abnormality is basically why he's one of a kind, instead of having a team or teams of agents with his abilities. I hope we get a flashback or something to explain how a single chip that can fit on your finger can do all this, what powers it, how it receives a large variety of signals, how it basically hacks it's way into things, etc.
Flag
I agree with the first part but not with the mutation part. The show has to explain why there is not an army (or at least, why there are not chips in all the CIA and FBI agent's brain). Speaking of that, I wonder if the chip can alter his brain in other ways (for instance, making him hurt if he tries to escape). That would have drama at the story, him being basically a hostage.
Flag
In the pilot it's said that a rare genetic mutations is what allows the chip to work. Did they know they'd need someone with that mutation from the get-go? That's a lot of money to spend only to find out the recipient needs to match very specific criteria. What are the chances you'd find a ex-Delta Force operator willing to go along with it? I like how the audiences eyes and ears as the new person on the team, a narrative device used all the time, is not the person with the chip and he didn't just wake up with it. He's not like Robocop, Inspector Gadget, or the titular character in Chuck, he's a willing participant. I don't he'd be a hostage or anything like that to his employers, but yeah the chip itself could cause problems & mess with his subconscious.
Flag
Maybe they know and thought that was a measure to avoid to be stolen. But I think they probably didn't know and that was a problem they discover after a couple of casualties. I see it as a metareason, for the show's sake.
Flag
I loved it. Sometimes tried-and-true is just what you need. I'm a big Meghan Ory fan and I enjoyed what I saw of Josh on the one season of Lost that I watched. These two have an easy, natural chem. And they're actuall funny together. The hour breezed by and I was thoroughly entertained. I hope this one stays around for awhile.
Flag
These characters have to become a lot more likeable real fast. I've never seen "Lost" so I can't rely on the fact that this actor played someone else on another show. Though for Castle, I came for Nathan Fillion but stayed for the good ensemble cop show. For "Intellegence", I came for the "Chuck" comparison, but I have yet to find a reason to stay.
Flag
You didn't see Lost ? This is a crime!...I am watching him and I see Sawyer and Lost :(
Flag
One other big problem this show has is it can't decide who's sympathetic and who's all business.

We got the boss who calls him "it" yet treats him like a friend and breaks protocol to help track down his wife.

Then we got the handler who doesn't want to be there and thinks the guy's a jerk yet immediately keeps reminding the boss he's a HE not an IT.

No consistency, there.

Flag
I couldn't stand this show which epitomes the worst of US network TV.

Propaganda posing as pabulum.

When he was wandering around Pakistan I was cheering the locals to catch him.
Imagine the reaction from US citizens if a bloke who was an employee of an Islamic govt was found wandering around one of their military installations.

There wasn't the barest attempt to excuse the gross invasion with some sort of back story about an egregious act, the story is presented as if the hero has a perfect right to be there.
More American exceptionalism -yawn.

I turned it off once it became apparent the pakistanis soldiers defending their nation were cast as the baddies.
Flag
Actually, the egregious act was what he was looking at in the complex. His virtual evidence wall. Remember when he saw his wife shooting someone, he said, "how could you?"

The whole scene was of a massacre.
Flag
Even though I watch Person of Interest, I was making comparisons more to Numbers. I will definitely watch on Monday although it will be DVR'd because The Blacklist is top priority. Monday night will be a tough night.
Flag
Yes, I am bummed about Amos. I like the actor and I liked the character. What a tease....
Flag
Hey! I think I named this Community with my mid-season schedule picks!
Flag
I'm glad they're keeping it light, and not taking themselves too seriously with this show. It's much easier to portray grittiness ala POI with individual components (John, Finch, Machine), than with a fully centralized character like Gabriel. The nit-pickers would rip it to shreds if they tried to play it too seriously, especially the cyber aspects. I think it will be a nice addition to my schedule, and am very pleased to see Josh back on the screen.
Flag
i don't understand (nor do i want to) any of the tech mumbo jumbo jargon they use, and i'm fine with that. I love POI and it's stunning week to week epic ness, but not every show can be that and that is fine. I kind of liked the absurdity of this show. i think we're all starting to take tv, life, and everything too seriously. i could be a nit picker with this show, but i don't want to be. when you strip away settings and names and places, all stories pretty much fall into the same rhythm i remember my English teacher preaching about: The hero, the mentor, the conflict, the damsel/person in distress, etc. and how a book/movie/show plays out with its turning points and roadblocks. It's a journey. I just want it to be enjoyable.
Flag
I'm only watching coz Josh Holloway, geeky things and a hope for a more constructed plot.
Guess it'll be the show to watch to rest my brain.
Flag
I loved it. I was thinking early on that the guy that played/plays Amos seems to always be type-cast as the "goofy IT dude", so I guess I should have seen it coming that he would be the traitor. Also...Meghan Ory...hot damn. And since Sawyer was one of my favorite characters on Lost, and Holloway plays Gabriel with the same kind of attitude, he's awesome again.

As far as any technical "issues" people have, let's be honest, nothing I've ever seen has gotten even CLOSE to technical "completeness". As someone in the IT field (and someone with a brain), I've just learned to go with it. Whenever someone mentions that the firewall is blocking them (because a login prompt won't accept their password), I just chuckle, shake my head, and try to forget it.
Flag
I really liked this show and will keep watching.
Flag
OMG. I couldn't even watch this until the end. What is this supposed to be? It's so full of cliches it's crazy. Unrealistic and predictable.

It's your typical good guys shooting up bad guys with all the usual cliches. Don't need to activate your brain to follow along, perfect zombie show.

Also, don't compare it to POI. Quality-wise, it doesn't even come near.
Flag
I'm not sure about this one... It seems they tried a tad bit too hard with the dialogues and, well, pretty much everything else!

Sorry but it's not even half of what Person of Interest is... not that I was expecting that it would be anything close to the awesome show POI is! Will just have to wait and see if this one grows on me...
Flag
This was great for a comedy.....Wait it isnt a comedy.......Bugger !!

I agree...wont be watching it again. So many plot holes a bus and truck could drive through them.
Question. Why does a highly respected and sort after Secert Service agent, who we are told saved the Presidents children after being stabbed multiple times, get taken out with a flesh wound to the upper arm from a bullet ??
"Sorry Mr Action Man...I got a Boo-Boo on my arm"

Question: at the end of the episode we see the Chinese lady who had the chip implanted awake BUT we also see the double crossing "rouge" computer geek (Amos) flop on the couch.....like nothing had happend. Why werent these people caught and "taken away" ?? Afterall they were "beaten up" and captured, were they not. So much for National Security !!

Expect it to be cancelled or reduced episodes after 3 more eps !!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members