Intelligence

The Event Horizon

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Mar 24, 2014 on CBS

• Better - still not that bright

This week's episode was better than most, but still tripped up on some pretty obvious stuff. Like who couldn't tell they were walking into a trap at the end? Gabriel must have suspected that Lillian's phone would be tapped, but he still openly set up the meet, with no attempt to misdirect the listeners. And the people after him knew exactly what his chip was capable of, so blindly relying on it to tell if a SWAT team was coming seemed a bit naive. Mei Chen and Riley seemed to know the score, but Gabe kept blissfully relying on his chip instead of his brain.

Other than that, it was nice to see some ugly reality rearing its head. Before volunteering to let the government put a billion dollar chip in your head, giving you weaponized hacking abilities, remember that once they do, they OWN you. There's no saying "sorry, this just isn't working out for me If they can't control you, they ain't gonna let you run loose. The gloves came off, the claws came out, and all the paranoia and inter-agency rivalries to control Clockwork finally boiled over. It will be interesting to see how Gabriel and the team responds to this in future episodes. It might be harder to risk his life for his country, knowing they're so ready to lock him up or kill him the moment they even suspect they're losing control.

As with all 2 part episodes, the final verdict depends on how they choose to resolve things next week. I hope Gabriel doesn't just shake of a high powered rifle shot to the gut, and take down the bad guys hand to hand or anything. By rights, he should be spending the rest of this season in a hospital. I can only suspend my disbelief so far.