Intelligence (CAN)

CBC (ended 2007)

Intelligence (CAN) Fan Reviews (4)

• One of the few shows around dealing with secret services and how they use criminals for info

I think this show is just great and vastly underrated. This is a Canadian production dealing with Vancouver secret services trying to tackle weapons and drugs smuggling by collaborating with a local crime lord. I have not yet seen the pilot movie, but immediately I was gripped by the subtle writing. For starters, the crime lord ( a superb performance by Ian Tracey) seems a very reasonable guy just trying to find a way out and laundering his money. Then there is the new woman running the agency. She (another superior performance by Klea Scott) manipulates everybody but she has no other choice because almost everybody is backscheming against her.
    The show builds up to a very actual and global dilemma : how far are we prepared to make money or gain promotion by sacrificing others? How far are we prepared to go for self-improvement while knowing we'll leave behind a barren earth for our children.

The fact that this production is Canadian just makes it the more outstanding. First of all, the actors are just excellent, but secondly, because it makes the storyline the more interesting. Should this have been an American show, I feel it could quickly turn trivial or cliché in the way '24' does. 24 keeps its tension by its real-time premises and in this respect it remains an exciting series to watch.

But in my opinion, 'Intelligence' and 'The Wire' are shows that are much more intelligent. They deal with the real world, where we all try to keep the crime out ... or be as little criminal ourselves...we all just want to get by in life comfortably. There is a wonderful line in episode 9 which goes more or less like this: "We have some stuff (weapons) going to the Congo, but I think we can divert them here"
    We do not think of the war tacitly still going on in Eastern Congo, rather we fade back to the beautiful Russian prostitutes and how to pay them...