Inuyasha

Cartoon Network (ended 2006)

sesho2022

Inuyasha Fan Reviews (722)

• The story just goes on forever…

3.3
    Sunrise is always full of surprise. Sure they are known for prostituting themselves to the fans, but at the same time all their productions have a certain dignity that distinguishes them from other stupid shows. Inuyasha is a good example. I mean, face it, the manga is horrible. Thanks to Sunrise however, the anime is far from the worst even though they share the same story. Therefore, a fair portion of this review will be aimed at how Sunrise saved Inuyasha through their amazing presentation skills. 1
    The story of Inuyasha started out ok. I was not really psyched about the whole time travel and reincarnation stuff. Then the boring Monster-of-the-Week kicked in, followed by the Seeking-Jewel-Shards saga. When I started to get bored of all the monster killings, the story took a really sudden turn (I mean really really really sudden, no foreshadowing or anything) and went straight to the Final-Boss-Is-Naraku Let-Us-Defeat-Him stupid Shonen theme which just dragged on and on and on and on and on and…Until this day I still don't understand how Naraku is connected to all those previous chapters. The story lost me around the Band of Seven arc, at that point I couldn't follow what was going on anymore. There were times when Inuyasha travelled to Kagome's world and those chapters are probably the only ones I found enjoyable. Traveling to the future always leads to mayhem and the humours really appeal to me for some reason ^^. Also the mangaka did try to build up a suspense regarding Inuyasha, Kikyo and Naraku's past in the beginning of the story. Personally I think the built-up is really average. If you want to introduce a villain, at least give some foreshadowing. The chapters involving Naraku making his first appearance felt rather sudden to me. But let's not be too mean and at least give her the credits for trying. Now what Sunrise did, and I think they knew the story sucked, was to either skip some of the monster fighting chapters or to condense two or three of those chapters into one single episode. Very smart decision. Doing one-chapter-one episode is how they screwed up the DBZ anime. They also stayed very true to the manga story. I know the story sucked but it would still be much better if the studio had decided to make their own fillers.
    The characters don't really differ that much between the manga and the anime. Surprisingly I find them a little bit more realistic and more likable than the ones in Bleach (except Orihime of course ^^), and I did give Bleach a 4.2. I guess having some romance in your story is always a good idea. Besides that, they are just some typical Shonen characters like the ones in Bleach. 1
    In terms of the artstyle the manga totally sucked. The facial expressions are ok but it lacks details in all other things. The anime is a huge step up however. The color scheme is very bright and very colorful. The graphics is certainly not bad at all, especially on the background. More importantly Sunrise seemed to get all of the characters redesigned, adding more details to their hair, eyes, clothes etc. 1
    I can't really comment on the voice acting since I only watched some dubbed episodes on YTV. I can't comment on the OP and EP either. But I do like to comment on the background music. Background music is very important in terms of what I call presentation or delivery. Basically what it does is to enhance the atmosphere of a particular scene. In Inuyasha, background music was excessively used which certainly helped the delivery of the story. Sunrise also picked the right choice for the background music. A lot of them have that feudal Japan feel which fits the setting very well 1
    The theme is err…defeating the evil…? The love element is cute but is nowhere near Suzuka. I didn't expect much in this area from a Shonen work anyways. 1
    Basically what it comes down to is that Inuyasha is perhaps the only manga-based anime that's better than its manga counterpart. Sunrise did everything they could to save the series. However the story really sucked and the fact that the anime production was ceased is a strong proof. What I don't understand is that why this show was cancelled but the Naruto anime is still running. Inuyasha is superior to Naruto in almost every aspect. I guess it's probably because Inuyasha is not a f ag:P