Ironside Forums

NBC (ended 1975)

Fans of IRONSIDE?

jamoon2006

[1]Dec 3, 2007
    • level: 36

I bought Season 2 as a "blind buy" and am loving it! This is one of the best crime dramas I've ever seen, both in terms of acting and story. Unlike a lot of the other shows from the era that I've seen, Ironside is able to tackle heady issues from the 1960s (racial tension, abortion, drugs, the hippie movement) without ever condescending to levels of Jack Webb and "Blueboy." Raymond Burr is amazing, but he's generous with the rest of the cast and never completely takes over the show. Last night, I watched the episode with Milton Berle ("I, The People") as the Bill O'Reilly type who is receiving death threats, and it could have been aired as an episode of a show today! Other than the fashions and cars being dated, the drama is still engaging, and that's one of the best compliments you can pay to a show from the 1960s.

I'm relatively new to the bandwagon, but I was just posting to see who else out there was a fan of this show. Thanks!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AprilFox

[2]Jan 17, 2008
    • level: 109

Hi Jamoon, I'm a huge fan but that's a given. I think Hugh Laurie may have gotten his quirky House character from Raymond Burr's Ironside. Unfortunately alot of younger kids don't know about the show and figure a guy in a wheelchair can't do anything, what they don't realize is never underestimate the ingenious Robert Ironside. Glad you like the show. There are a lot of great episodes. I will be posting some great screen captures of the show.

Ironside

revbucky

[3]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 22
    Haven't seen Ironside in ages. I used to watch it faithfully when it first aired. Great show!

jamoon2006

[4]Jul 18, 2008

Still working my way through the first two seasons of Ironside. I'm really enjoying it, particularly because it's more a traditional mystery series than a police procedural. Ironside is far more Columbo than Kojak and it makes for more interesting stories (in my opinion). While Raymond Burr sometimes overpowers his younger co-stars, they never fade into the background and provide a unique team that also makes the show stand out from the herd of 60s and 70s mystery shows.

jamoon2006

[5]Jul 22, 2008

Here's an interesting note for Ironside fans...

Hulu.com has the first season available for streaming viewing - but instead of the pilot, they have both parts of the fifth(?) season episode "Five Days in the Death of Sgt. Brown." From my reading of the episode guide here, it sounds like it was a cross-over between Ironside and The Bold Ones. Not sure why it's there, but it's a chance to see an episode not yet released on DVD!

AprilFox

[6]Oct 8, 2008
    • level: 109

You Tube also has several episodes of Ironside (albeit broken into 7 or 8 parts).

I watched Stolen on Demand (with David Cassidy, season 3 episode 14) and The Gambling Game (with Bobby Darin, season 5 episode 4 and the first episode with Elizabeth Baur as Fran Belding).

Robert T. Ironside

BRG75

[7]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 2

I'm a fan of Ironside, and I'm rewatching season 1 which is being aired in the UK on the digital channel Quest.

While some of the episodes are a tad dated and obvious, for the most part they are excellent. Plus the style of the late 60s- early 70s is just so bloody cool, and women just looked so much better in those days.IMHO. Indeed, just this afternoon I watched an episode with the lovely Susan Saint James with a very striking "Twiggy" hairdo and short skirt!

I also get a kick by seeing some of the guest stars on this show, from the before-they-were-famous, like a young Harrison Ford, to the big names of the day like the ultra cool Jack Lord. Plus as a Star Trek geek, I love seeing guests from Trek popping up on Ironside, infact, The Shat himself pops up on a few occasions himself!

BRG