Ironside

I, the People

Aired Thursday 8:30 PM Oct 31, 1968 on NBC

• Uncle Miltie...what happened?

In a departure from his usual comedic roles, TV legend Milton Berle plays an inflammatory talk show host who becomes the target of death threats. Ironside, who loathes Howard, is reluctant to take the case but steps up his efforts when a car bomb apparently meant for Berle kills his wife. Berle's Ross Howard and his show "The People's Voice" may remind a modern audience of Bill O'Reilly and others who invite guests on to their shows and deny them a chance to speak. His quick, dismissive tone certainly made me think of O'Reilly. Not only is Berle terrific in the part, but he co-wrote the episode. It's a great example of an actor going outside of his norm and the results being amazing. While I don't know how much of the script or story Berle came up with, it is clearly his project and he makes the most of it.

The only downside to this episode is that, aside from the ending, Raymond Burr and Milton Berle don't have many scenes together. The times they do share the screen, it's electric, but I would have liked to see more of it. Otherwise, it's a very well plotted mystery and it puts Ironside in the unenviable position of working to save the life of a man he can't stand.
WZME