Ironside

The Sacrifice

Aired Thursday 8:30 PM Oct 03, 1968 on NBC

• Is Ironside's old friend a murderer?

Ricardo Montalban (KHAAAAAANNNNNN himself) is a decorated Mexican-American cop who may also be a killer. Mark's eyewitness testimony seems to suggest that he is, but Ironside is reluctant to believe it.

Wow...this was my second episode of "Ironside" after the disappointing and slow moving "Shell Game." But now I am starting to see why this show is so highly regarded. Not only is Raymond Burr terrific (he gets to show off some detective skills, realizing that a woman had been in the apartment because of the perfume, etc.) but the story is much meatier than I would have expected to see on TV in the 1960s. You have racial tensions (black vs. hispanic), abortion...stuff that is thorny today, much less thirty plus years ago.

The theme about sacrifice is interesting - it refers to so many people and their actions over the course of the story. Montalban is terrific (if there's a 60s cop drama he didn't guest on, I don't know what it is) and has some nice scenes with Burr. I like that Ironside is such a curmudgeon...it makes him seem almost like an ancestor of Dr. House! A great episode, and it makes me interested in more of this series.