It Takes a Thief Forums

Discovery Channel

Keys in cars...?!

Banzaiboy808

[1]Dec 6, 2005
    • level: 8
    From the few episodes I've seen, at least 2 families and their neighbors have left their keys in their car. Is that something common in certain parts of the country? I can't even imagine leaving them in the car much less the ignition.

(vVv)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GirlinTVworld

[2]Dec 22, 2005
    • level: 7
    Me either. I just afraid of leaving my car unlocked

edmorita

[3]Jan 11, 2006
    • level: 22
    I'm not entirely sure, but from my personal experience living on the east coast, I have noticed that people do leave their keys in their cars. I clearly recall walking dowm the street seeing parked cars with their keys in the ignition. If I were a lesser man I probably would not have hesitated taking the car.

hsimpson44

[4]May 21, 2006
    • level: 26
    I think thats about as stupid as leaving your door unlocked when your at work.

lowjack9

[5]Jun 2, 2006
    • level: 1
    We live in a nation that worries themselves to death about being killed in a terrorist attack(which is a one in a million chance), but then leaves their front door open when they leave so anyone and their Grandmother can waltz in the door and rob them. Americans are suffering from a tremendous lack of common sense!

lilebb

[6]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 3
    Why is it a lack of commen sense? I leave the keys in the car sometime when I am at home. Of course I can hear when people come up the drive way (or down). With bait cars all over the place you would have to be lacking common sense to try to take a car with the keys in the igition. But they do make for funny videos.

chuck7719

[7]Jan 29, 2007
    • level: 6
    Bait cars? You must be rich if you have bait cars with cameras. Do they lock when you start the car?

phf3947

[8]Apr 14, 2007
    • level: 71
    chuck7719 wrote:
    Bait cars? You must be rich if you have bait cars with cameras. Do they lock when you start the car?

The Dallas and Fort Worth (Texas) police departments have been using bait cars as a deterrent for car thieves since 2003, and it's working great. Latest information indicates thefts are way down because the news is spreading throughout the criminal community. The cars, equipped with GPS tracking devices and cameras, are left unlocked with keys in the ignition in various places, such as shopping centers, grocery stores, or just parked on the side of the street. When the thief starts up the motor, drives a little bit, then the motor dies. The windows lock and cannot be opened. The whole thing is caught on tape. Perfect evidence when the district attorney takes the case to court.

Here's a link to a recent news story: Fort Worth Police Use Bait Cars To Catch Thieves