It Takes a Thief

Discovery Channel Premiered Feb 02, 2005 Between Seasons

It Takes a Thief Fan Reviews (19)

• Two ex-burglars rob people's homes and then give them a whole new security makeover. Quite interesting.

It Takes a Thief is a show where two ex-burglars (Jon Douglas Rainey and Matt Johnston)scout around for a good place to rob. After getting permission from the homeowners, you'll watch as Jon breaks into their house (sometimes with them still in it, unaware of his presence)and steals thousands of dollars worth of loot. Afterwards, the family gets their belongings back and then Matt gives them a complete security makeover. A few weeks later, they come back and test the new security by trying to break in all over again.

Overall, this show is very entertaining and often quite funny. It shows you just how bad your own security can be by letting you see what happens during a real robbery. Occasionally, Jon has gotten caught by either the homeowners or the Police, but mostly he'll get clean away. The show gives a good sense of just how far criminals are willing to go, and what measures you yourself should take to protect your house.

Rating: A

Sincerely, RedHawk4.
  • Only the best show ever!

It Takes a Thief is my favorite show. Matt and Jon are amazing hosts. They offset each other's personalities perfectly. Matt's commentary, when he's allowed to give it, is hilarious yet insightful. Jon has a bad boy charm and his inventive entries are very fun to watch. I can't believe that Discovery is still dragging their feet to renew this show. ITaT is the best show on Discovery and the only one I watch(and tape)religiously. This show has taught a lot of people how to keep themselves safer. It's educational and entertainment value are through the roof. I really hope that Discovery decides to order another season.
  • when i first watched this show when it first came out i luved it and rite now i am still friggin mad i think that they should bring it back and it needs 2 hurry and come out on dvd now b/c i luv them and i would do anything 4 them

I think that it takes a thief was the best show in the world and when it comes out on dvd i am gonna buy it the first day that it comes out in 2005 when it came out i watched it everyday and i still continue to watch when i found out that it was canceld i was so ticked off i just couldnt believe it i was so astonished i think that they should bring it back because it was the best thing that ever happend to discovery channel. Plus matt and jon were like the hottest guys on the discovery channel and they still continue to be. I would do anything for them and i wish that i would of known this earlier i always find out things late and think that if they do bring it back i betch u it will b the most watched show ever.
  • If you live in a house, you need to watch.

This show is a must if you live in a house; it gives you great tips on keeping thieves out and your family and self safe. It has some minor flaws such as they always seem to be reaching to get people to react and that can be a little annoying at times. It also doesn’t last near as long as I want it to most of the time, I just can’t get enough of the breaking and entering. Despite this the show is entertaining as well an informative and like I said if you live in a home you need to watch.
  • two ex-thiefs show the "flaws" in a families securty. And they are there to prove it as well! Matt Johnston and Jon Douglas Rainey act a fake burglary and show the families what would have happened if it was real...

I like this show a lot. Everytime I watch it, I always feel like being more secure with my items I have in the house. Thats how much of an impact it has on me. Its like they are talking to me directly. Last time watched it, i decided to buy some alarms. And it works. I give it 2 thumps up because it tells viewers to be more careful with there stuff around home, and to put some security around the house when you leave. Or atleast lock the door when you get out... Its amazing how to burgalers thrun things around and decided to help the people by making a home improvement. And i like it for that!
  • It Takes a Thief

It Takes a Thief,
    In It Takes a Thief two people decided to break into somebodies home. And take all of the stuff. With poorly saftened homes. They take all objects that are vauble and hide. While the owners are left bewildered. The come out and show them how they can make there home more safe. This actually makes you think are you really safe.
  • This is one of the only shows on Discovery I ever watch, and it's my favorite one on that channel. It actually should be watched by more people because Matt and Jon probably won't rob you before someone else does.

This is definetly one show which is definetly worth watching. The reason being that people can get robbed at any time, and they should know some good security measures. Anyway, the show is good, plenty of suspense in seeing if Jon will get caught, and seeing what he takes and how he does it. It really helps people see that their security methods may not be up to code to a thief. It actually astounds me how easy Jon gets away most of the time, especially when other people who aren't his accomplises are right there. This show gets a 9 by me.
  • This is one of the best shows on TV Today - you need to watch!

Unfortunately we can not get this show in Canada - yet. I watched 4 episodes when I was in the Dominican. I was shocked at how easily people can break into homes, and totally ransack the place and finding every hiding spot there is. They can do all of this in under 10 minutes. This show should be watched by all and then get their houses, cottages secure as well as they can and keep them totally secure if they are home or not. They give a lot of inexpensive ways to do somethings as well as all out ways of doing it. So no matter how much money you have you can make your place secure.
  • Slap on the hand and here's your prize...

I can't believe many of the things people do on the show. It's like they smoked the common sense out of themselves.
    I liked the custom house episode where the owner knew about an ongoing problem of the front door not working yet was hardly concerned about it. Anyone from salesman to curious neighbor could have walked in anytime.
    Sometimes these people need to get taught a better lesson than just disorganising their stuff, doing a clean up, and giving them a prize. Great show, hope the episodes keep coming.
    It is truely amazing how some of the lucky victims have gotten by blindly trusting their neighbors as a security feature.
  • This show is simply amazing.

I absolutely love this show. It is so much fun to watch. It is also one show that really makes you think about your own security. My favorite parts have to be the interactions between Matt and Jon. They crack me up every time. You really cannot help but like these guys. The other thing I like about the show is the reaction by the family being robbed. I also like the format to show. The new format shows you that it really can happen any time with out you knowing it about. I cannot wait to watch more shows.
  • Ex-burglars Matt Johnston and Jon Douglas Rainey teach people about security.

Matt and Jon used to be burglars. Now they search for homes that lack security. Matt convinces the home owners to let Jon break into their house. Then they get their stuff back and a full security makeover. While Jon, (and sometimes others) rob the family, Matt and the family watch in a van. Jon gets of with thousands of dollars sometimes even the home owners vechile(s) and their pet. He takes anything from jewelry to important papers such as deeds to the house and even Dvd players and big screen tv's. Then Matt and Jon come back when the home owners are away and try to break in all over again. I'm looking forward to the new episodes coming up hopefully soon.
  • Excellent show. My wife and I truly enjoy this show and have used the info to improve our home security. We invite jon to attempt to break in our house.

Spectacular my wife and I are loyal followers.This type of show makes a person do a personal review of home security. While initially the experience of witnessing first hand the violation of their personal living environment is traumatic; the homeowner can find comfort in the fact that this is not a real break in. It only takes a few minutes to lose many of your most treasured posessions. We have learned a little from each episode. After seeing several of the episodes it still amazes us how some people make the committement to change their habits while others still neglect the basics of home security.
  • Simply the best !!

This show gives you ideas on how to improve security on you own home. Makes you realize that this robbery is a real problem for everyone. I love the fect that Matt and Jon not only go in and show home owners the weakness but also update those weaknesses. Good Job!!
  • Great entertainment combined with a real learning experience... A huge eye opener to issues of home security.

When I first heard the concept for the show I didn't think it would last beyond a few episodes, but I was definitely wrong. I got the chance recently to see an episode and I loved it! The show really makes you think about your own home security and what you would do if something like this happened to you. I like to see how everyone reacts and what they react over (Jon being in their kids room, their dogs, the invasion of privacy, the mess, or just materialistic things). I hope this show continues for a long time to come. Not only is it great entertainment but a great learning experience. I recommend this show to everyone.
  • A terrific show.

I absolutely love this show. It is so much fun to watch. It is also one show that really makes you think about your own security. My favorite parts have to be the interactions between Matt and Jon. They crack me up every time. You really can't help but like these guys. I have 33 of the 40 episodes listed on the Discovery channel web site recorded and I watch them every chance I get. I hope it lasts for a very long time.
  • This is an outrageous concept. It made me think about security, materialism, private ownership, breaking the law. All those things. A very inspirational program. Does the program acually help people to become more secure in their homes? Yes. In their per

I find this show to be "off the wall" because it is an outrageous concept. It's absolutely hilarious! Staging a crime and filming it and then using the event as a scenario to learn from.
    People's homes are a good starting point as location. Going from house to house in different neighborhoods, various parts of the country...
    I want them to film some episodes where they rob banks, fitness gyms, lawyers offices, convenience stores, armories, supermarkets, jewelry stores, Disney World, Trump towers, Atlantic city casinos, etc. etc. The list goes on. This show can and should go very far!
    The presentation of the show is steady and at a nice pace. The acting/performances are superb. The guys are well-balanced and by that I mean, calm, collected, matter-of-fact. They don't exaggerate or overact. There is a good chemistry.
    Matt is very well-suited as the host, a deep thinker, but calculating - (you wonder what's on his mind. Did he really reform? Or is he planning bigger crimes?)
    Jon D. Rainey is especially interesting, he's the action guy. Awesome work from this suave, regular Joe, yet classic American character. I did some research and find that he was in a nude scene in "Sex and the City" (important for those who find this actor attractive). I also find he was in an equally outrageous indie flick (also nude?) called "Protesters".
    I want to see more windows, doors, walls broken to pieces and lots more stuff stolen, more expensive heists.
    This is entertaining as well as educational.
  • Can not wait for new episodes

It takes a Theif is not only informative but fun to watch. To see the faces on the residents when they go in a destroy the house makes it worth it.
    As someone who has had his house robbed twice when he was younger, I know how the residents felt.
    I realize Matt and Jon were only petty criminals back in their day but you have to respect them for turning their lives around and explainging to the public how to protect their homes and property.
    This si a show I would recommend everyone watch at least once to understand what can happen and think about you would feel if you were in place of the residents.
  • A very interesting show

I like this show. We see two reformed ex-burglars, one a cop, the other a teacher. They now help people by showing them how devastating a burglary can be by performing a burglary on the house while the owners watch. They then proceed in improving the house so it is burglar-proof.

It is unbelievable. Imagine, thousands of dollars of possessions, all your memories, can be gone, all because you forgot to lock your door. It is a major wake-up call.
  • The Discovery channel did it again! From the network that broght you MythBusters, Monster House/Garage, Deadliest Catch, and a variety of useful specials comes It Takes A Thief, a show which shows firsthand the danger one faces everyday, and works to corr

It Takes A Thief has rarely ceased to amaze me, whether watching Matt's dedication to the homeowner's security or watching Jon actually test it, I never lose interest. The show starts out with Jon and Matt "Casing the hood", which is really just for show as the homes they choose are usually submitted through the Discovery website by the homeowner. Once they arrive at the house, Matt asks the homeowner(s) if they'd like to participate in the process while Jon goes off elsewhere. If they agree, Matt takes them through the house and points out the security weaknesses. He also checks out what would actually be stolen from the house should someone break into it. Then, cameras are set up in the house and the homeowner(s) lock up as best they can. Matt calls Jon and he quickly arrives as the homeowner(s). Usually getting into the house extremely quick, he wastes no time in searching for anything valuable. Within 15 minutes he's usually finished and already gone. Matt then takes them to look around the house at the damage firsthand. After that, they then meet Jon and see all the stuff he took. A cleaning crew then gets the house back the way it waswhile a security guard patrols the property. The next day Matt returns to give the house a security renovation, replacing old locks with new high-security ones, upgrading/adding a security system, and doing whatever else he feels is necessary. A few weeks later, Matt & Jon return unannounced to check to see if the homeowners are using their new security. If they aren't, they get a quick lecture from Matt & Jon and the problem is quickly corrected.
    That is the It Takes A Thief process, a way of seeing what could actually happen and the proper ways of preventing it in an educational and entertaining way.