It Takes Two (1982)

ABC (ended 1983)

It Takes Two (1982) Fan Reviews (1)

• Enjoyable comedy that ended way too soon

This show had its moments and it dragged a bit, but for the most part it was right on. The actors were just growing into their characters by the time the show ended after just one season. Richard Crenna was strong in his character, which came a long way from the earliest shows when he almost appeared more dominating but yet flaky, giving audiences the impression that he was a tough attorney rather than a sensitive surgeon. Patty Duke (Astin) was charming as his wife; Helen Hunt was good as their daughter (though I feel that I might have a different opinion had she not go on to play almost the same strong character that I loved as 'Jamie' in "Mad About You", as at times she almost seemed too old and mature to be playing that part, though she was probably only 18 at the time); and Anthony Edwards was fine as the occassional, drop-in son, but he was hardly on enough to make a good determination. The stand out had to be - hands down - the late Billie Bird, playing 'Ma'. She would come across with some zingers that on the surface were not funny, but the way she delivered them tickled your funny bone to the max. If there weren't some problems with a few of the episodes early on, I think this comedy would have gone on for years and be one of those 80s classics that people still watched today.