It's a Big Big World

PBS (ended 2007)

It's a Big Big World Fan Reviews (9)

6.7
  • Meh, it's okay.

5.8
    This show is pretty cool, I guess. It's about this certain bear-like creature who has adventures in the jungle, while learning new things at the same time. It's not that bad! But the guy who is the main character looks a lot like Bear from Bear in the Big Blue House. It seems like this was made by the creators of Bear in the Big Blue House! Wait a minute, it was! Well, I don't have much to say about this show, really, but it is kind of fun when you watch it at first! So I suggest you let your kids watch this show! It's good!
  • This is the best kids show on TV, and one of the only ones that isn't obnoxious for adults!

This is the ONLY kids show that I can handle watching over and over again with my child, and the music is fantastic! The music can be uplifting, but the closing music is always soothing and calming... as well as their mid-show "breather" song. I REALLY wish they would come out with a CD. I wish this show had more merchandise readily available. It is so hard to find anything! DVD's, toys, etc... about the only place I have found anything is at Amazon.com. The DVD's are currently back ordered at the PBS store! PBS needs to get the hint! This is their money maker!
  • My daughter and I love this show..we never miss it..we even re-watch it on tivo! It's great..educational & fun...

My daughter and I love this show..we never miss it..we even re-watch it on tivo! It's great..educational & fun...we wish they had products out to purchase..we are planning a big big world birthday party too... PBS kids has some mediocre shows but this one is awesome. They need to come up with new episodes though..kinda tiring watching the same ones over and over. But my daughter simply can not get enough..we watch the show atleast once daily...I do not normally allow a toddler to watch TV, but this show is the exception. I hope to see lots more from Big big World!
  • bob

7.2
    the world tree is home to many different animals. theres snook the sloth. wartz the frog. smoomch and winslow the marmasets. oko the monkey , bob the anteater. ik the fish. birdett the ketsel bird. mag the map turtle and many others including ants and snails. the group goes on adventurs and learns lesson about many different thing such as life lesson, family, having fun , and history. the all like bering together and being friens. there a re many songs. mag can answer any questions they have. overall its an okay show and i like it somewhat but i could be a little better. chazz it up!! its an okay show.
  • snook

6.6
  • You have to love this.

7.6
    A big hearted sloth with the help of a matronly turtle keep an eye on a big bunch of odd balls in the rainforest. Great lessons on animals, conservation, and working with others who might be different. Kids of any age will love it. They emphasize the differences between the animals. Some are fast like the twins, slow like the sloth, bouncing like the frog, thoughtful and older like the turtle, swimingly like the fish, and then add in a yoga practicing monkey. At anytime you might see some of them, learning new things at the turtle who lives at the bottom of the tree, or practicing yoga up in the tree with the monkey. Really a great show, PBS should be proud.
  • While it has its moments, it just doesn't quite compare to "Bear in the Big Blue House" or even "The Book of Pooh." I can't see this catching on as the phenomenon that "Bear" was and I don't know if it will even really be rem

7.9
    From Mitchell Kriegman and many of the talented team involved with such productions as "Bear in the Big Blue House" and "The Book of Pooh" comes "It's a Big Big World" --- a still relatively-new series on PBSKids that focuses on science and discovery. The main character is Snook, a slow-paced, happy sloth who makes his home in the World Tree. With him are at least two other adults --- Oko the monkey (think Yoda from "Star Wars") and Madge, an elderly tortoise. They're always ready to lend their advice and insight to the kids of the tree --- Bob the anteater, Smooch and Winslow (brother and sister marmosets), Ich the fish, Burdette the bird and Wartz the frog. Together, they all learn about scientific processes such as metamorphosis, growth, the weather and more.

"It's a Big Big World" certainly has its heart in the heart in the right place and its nice to have a show on PBSKids teaching kids about science. But "Big Big World" fails to stand out in the way a show such as "Bear" does. For one thing, you really got the sense that the characters on "Bear" all really liked each other and had a deep sense of friendship and fellowship and really liked each other. I'm not sure I get that from "It's a Big Big World". Sure, the characters all get together and talk to each other and play with each other and such, but there doesn't really seem to be that deep friendship. Many of them seem just as well to be by themselves most of the time, particularly Burdette and Ich. And Snook, as a sloth, is always having to be dragged away from a nap to go out and spend time with the characters. Sure, Bear liked his sleep as well, but he was also a bear who would get up and go --- dancing the cha-cha-cha, cooking, singing, and just being loveable. Then there's Bob, who's often acting nervous and worried and who always wants to be friends with the ants that anteaters would normally eat. He reminds me somewhat of Tutter from "Bear", but it seems like many of the qualities I find endearing in Tutter, I simply find annoying in Bob. The whole gag with the ants has really gotten old fast --- they really need to find another gimmick for him.

Music-wise, this show doesn't really stand out either. Whereas "Bear in the Big Blue House" had several albums loaded with enjoyable music, "It's a Big Big World" only sometimes uses songs within its stories. The best song on the show by far is "Curve of the World," which is played in-between stories, as "Big Big World" features two stories within each episode. The ending song "Try to Touch the Sky (Snook's Goodbye)" is pretty good too, although it doesn't really compare with "Bear"'s "Goodbye Song." The other songs I don't really remember, other than most of the main theme, whereas I have a lot of the songs from "Bear" memorized.

I understood going in that this show wasn't "Bear in the Big Blue House" and I really wanted to enjoy it for what it was. There is some good learning going on in this show and the slow pacing is a nice break from some of the other children's programming on these days. But the real tipping point for me is the clips shows --- "Big Big World" seems to rely way too much on repackaged clip shows that focus mainly on the characters discussing events from previous episodes. This was a device that "Bear" used very occasionally, but "Big Big World" seems to have like at least five of these clip show episodes already, if not more.

Overall, I'd say you or your kids should probably pass on this and sample some of the other programming on PBSKids, Disney Channel, Nick Jr. or Noggin. (Or Treehouse TV, YTV or Canada Family Channel if you get this program in Canada.) "Big Big World" isn't bad, but in today's world of children's programming, it just doesn't stand out and that just doesn't really cut it these days.
  • I really like this show.

The animals on it have interesting names & the storylines are very interesting. My personal favorites are Fish Out of Water & Making a Map. The other episodes are good also. The animals are very interesting. The music is good. My favoirite animal is Snook, the sloth. I like Bob, the anteater also.
  • I cannot stand this.

It's A Big, Big World is a show where you meet animals and they go around meeting new animals and they learn about what animals do. Isn't that what the animal channel is about? Also, a bad use of puppetry. Most of the puppets do not even look like the real animal. Also, the singing can be a hassle. It is very annoying to listen to. Don't even bother watching this.