Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXX

TEN IS ENOUGH NEWS

... Though FX would probably be happy to keep it on the air for 50 seasons, It's Always in Sunny Philadelphia will call it a series after 10 seasons, according to star Glenn Howerton. "There’s a certain point where you wear out your welcome and we don’t want to do that," Howerton told Rolling Stone. "We want to leave them wanting more. We spend a lot of time trying to find new lines to cross. We’re not trying to offend people or gross them out, but we’re looking to surprise them. I think we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, so it’s time to stop. I’m sure there are already a few people who are like, 'Jesus Christ is that show still on? Go away.'" 

I'm totally okay with this, not because I think It's Always Sunny is getting old and running out of ideas, but because I'm excited to see what else these guys (and gal) can do. It's Always Sunny will debut its ninth season in early September on new network FXX, and it's already been renewed for Season 10. [Rolling Stone]

[UPDATE] Howerton says he was misquoted in the magazine and that It's Always Sunny could go on for more than 10 seasons, which is exactly what you're supposed to say when you're under contract. I still think Season 10 will be the show's last.

BUSINESS TIME

... Lifetime has ordered a TV movie adaptation of Flowers in the Attic, that book we all thought was so messed up when we read it in middle school. The story follows a group of four siblings who are abused by their mother after the death of their father. Heather Graham will play the mean old mom, and Ellen Burstyn will take on the role of the grandmother. This is kind of a departure for Lifetime, away from its typical tawdry tales of Elizabeth Taylor and Anna Nicole Smith and other movies starring troubled actresses like Lindsay Lohan. In other words, Lifetime, I hardly know ye! [Deadline Hollywood]

... Is the Cold War the next time period to get over-mined for television? Following FX's Russian-spy-centric The Americans (which is great by the way, you should watch it), ABC is adapting the book Circle of Treason: A CIA Account of Traitor Aldrich Ames and the Men He Betrayed as a scripted miniseries called The Assets. The series will look at the Cold War through the eyes of the CIA. [TV Newser]

... CBS.com is embracing the internet and has posted three old series online for free. You can now watch Jericho, Wolf Lake, and Swingtown on the site. Jericho is a post-apocalyptic drama, Wolf Lake is a drama about a town full of werewolves, and Swingtown is a drama about the swingin' '70s, when wife-swapping was more than just a bad reality show. Do what I did: Open up three browser windows and play them all at once for a drama about werewolves who swap partners in a post-apocalyptic world. [CBS via press release]

... ABC is also developing Lawless, from Mistresses executive producer KJ Steinberg. The drama is loosely based on the life of a former trucker who went to law school to provide free legal services to victims of domestic abuse in rural areas. Shonda Rhimes is on board as a producer. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Duck Dynasty and all of its beards, plus the new guy who doesn't have one, will return for Season 4 on August 14. [A&E via press release]

... Syfy is developing a new take on The Wizard of Oz, with director Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) moving the tale to a post-apocalyptic world. In Timur's version (Bekmambetov was too long to type—d'oh!), a warrior from present-day Earth is transported to a future Oz, where he teams up with three warriors named Heartless, Brainless, and Coward. No word on whether it will match up with a Pink Floyd album, but you should still probably take drugs to ensure it makes sense. [The Wrap]

CASTING NEWS

... Fox's mini event or limited series or miniseries or whatever it is Wayward Pines has cast former Iron Man abandoner Terrence Howard. Wayward Pines, produced by M. Night Shyamalan, tells the story of a mysterious town... where nothing is as it seems! Howard will play the town sheriff, who gets his feelings hurt when a government agent (Matt Dillon) shows up looking for a pair of missing colleagues. Carla Gugino, Melissa Leo, and Toby Jones are also scheduled to star. [TV Line]

... Sundance Channel has cast Game of Thrones' Jason Momoa in the series The Red Road. Momoa, who played Khal Drogo in the HBO fantasy series, will play a member of an Indian tribe in the drama about a sheriff who must keep the peace between two communities. [Sundance via press release]

... Alias's David Anders will guest-star on an upcoming episode of Criminal Minds. And if you guessed that he'd be playing one sick f*ck, then you're right. I mean, this guy couldn't play a good guy, right? He looks like one of those guys who might be kinda nice, but who you have reservations about, and then next thing you know, your friend goes out on a date with him and ends up chopped into pieces and buried under a construction site. Anders will play a serial killer who lobotomizes his victims. He'll appear in the third episode of the upcoming season. [TV Line]

... The Office's David Denman will appear in the fifth season of Parenthood. He'll play Ed, a stay-at-home dad who runs into Julia while volunteering at their kids' school. [E! Online]

... Once Upon a Time's Robin Hood is coming back, but the man who played him is not. Tom Ellis originally played the part in the series, but because he's unavailable, the role has been recast with Sean Maguire in the green tights. Maguire played the lead in Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire and also appeared in EastEnders and Bedlam. [TV Line]

... Kris Humphries will guest-star on The Mindy Project next season. Humphries is the guy who was briefly married to Kim Kardashian in 2010, making us forever forget that he's actually an NBA basketball player. [TV Guide]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/9/2016

Season 11 : Episode 10

47 Comments
Comments (47)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Yeah, it's time to retire It's Always Sunny. The show has bounced back from a lull with a pretty good season, but it's clear they're risking repetition and staleness. I don't mind, this show has been a brilliant experiment in doing what it set out to do. Chardee MacDennis will go down in history as one of the 10 biggest laughs I've ever had in my life.

Oh my god, Heather Graham is now playing moms? I'm so old. I still remember thes screening for "License to Drive"!

Waaaait, Siffy is doing ANOTHER new take on The Wizard of Oz? Have they completely run out of ideas and just forgot they already did one of those? Will there be sharks in the tornado that transports the female warrior to Oz? (I know they didn't mention the warrior was female, but it's Siffy.)

Terrence Howard didn't abandon Iron Man, he asked for more money for the larger role and they hired a scab. A scab that was entirely wrong for the part in voice and look. But he's really traded up there, a Fox miniseries from M. Night Shyamalan starring Terrence Howard, it should be called "Has Beens".
Flag
Nice to see Criminal Minds going back to its formula of casting has-beens from long-ended shows as serial killers. That's probably the second most important consideration for me to watch an episode after how twisted the crime in the teaser seems.
Flag
I'm down for The Wizard of Oz + Timur Bekmambetov + time travel.
Flag
I am happy if they end at Season 10 rather then beat the dead horse. That said I will very much miss it when it finishes.
Flag
nice!
Flag
Farewell Sweet Dee. :(
I hope the new Flowers in the Attic is successful, Lifetime might do the other novels as movies too.
Flag
http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013/07/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-might-not-end

Apparently Howerton was misquoted in Rolling Stone. All he said was the cast was signed on for 10 Seasons, but they may do more.
Flag
Wayward Pines has a pretty impressive cast
Flag
Sorry replied 2 wrong person, ignore!
Flag
Tinman! Oz the great and powerfull! Alice! Tim burtons aswell! Haven't we seen enuff of these reimaginings? Call them wut w/ brand recognition. Timur b. Day/nightwatch. Good? Isn't this also the guy who made that horrid videogame movie no1 watched even though the game is popular? Halflife was it? Didn't he also have something2do with stinking up diehard5? 2nd thought yeah give t.b. work! Oz prt.4 or wutever will suck so hard syfy will never reimagine it again! Cheerz
Flag
I'll give anything by Timur a shot - Night Watch and Day Watch were great!
Flag
Goback2tv.com u have a reply u should read!
Flag
As much as I wanted to like "Tin Man" I was really disappointed with the performance of Zooey Deschanel; she didn't emote nearly enough on that miniseries Don't get me wrong, I love "New Girl" and sometimes in her past work the "expressionless beauty" thing works, but it really didn't here. Eventually she started to emote a little like when meeting her parents or realizing the evil *bamf* was her sister but even then it wasn't really there.

That being said... I can't see this new "Oz" being better than "Tin Man"

Flag
It's Always Sunny was touted as 'Seinfeld on crack' pretty early on so I guess it's fitting that Howerton is using the same logic Jerry Seinfeld did when deciding to end their show. Seinfeld said at the time, and afterwards, that the time was right to end the show because they had 9 seasons worth of success and were still on top. Looks like Always Sunny is ending with one season more than Seinfeld, though, which is an awesome accomplishment.

As for me, well, I've said before that I was more a fan of Always Sunny in its first 3 years then the last 5 or so. As with almost all sitcoms, it just got crazier and the characters became bigger caricatures. Craziness is appealing to some, but early on, I mostly appreciated how smart their characters' stupidness were. They seemed like regular stupid people and not crazy stupid people like they have been recently, hehe. I'll definitely still miss it when it's gone.
Flag
I've got mixed emotion with It's Always sunny is going to end because i think Glenn Howerton is right, it is better to end before people get to tired of a show than keep on beating a dead horse. But looking forward to the last two seasons.
Flag
Flowers in the Attic???? WTF? I so loved that book/series as a kid and felt really guilty about it.
Flag
Me too! It was probably the most messed up/touching/emotional series I read before the age of 18... I really hope they do it justice and don't completely water down the story like the 1985 movie with Kristy Swanson... That was seriously disappointing.
Flag
It seems like only yesterday Tim was accusing The Americans of being FX's attempt to milk the success of Homeland. Now it has gone from the milker to the milkee, it must take it's place in the circle of tv fads.

And as for the Wizard of Oz thing. There's one type of 'reimagining' that never works. It's when they take a beloved story about children, replace the kids with young adult characters, and butcher the story so that it builds up to big battle scenes. Sounds like this one could be all that and less.
Flag
I've seen Anders as not-the-bad-guy a couple times, but yeah, he's an awful person. Saw him on Arrow, and sure 'nuff--EVIL AS HELL.
Flag
Wayward Pines is Haven repackaged... i'll stick with Haven, thanks... besides fox has been shooting almost all blanks these past couple years
Flag
Wasn't Jericho supposed to come back again?
Flag
It did and was recancelled, kinda like that pesky fly you just can't swat.
Flag
No, I'm talking about it coming back again as an online series.
Flag
New episodes? I really kinda doubt that Mr. Jimmy.
Flag
Yep, Netflix has been said to be in "talks" for a while now.
Flag
Well, I guess It's Sunny had to end at some point...
Flag
That's ok. Kris Humphries was never really known for being much of a basketball player anyway.
Flag
Syfy already reimagined The Wizard of Oz, time to move on.
Flag
I will be sad to see It's Always Sunny go but I understand why they want to end it. I can think of a few shows that should have done that. I will definitely check out anything Jason Momoa is on (especially after his funny, but slightly creepy Comic Con stunt). I miss Khal Drogo!

Am I the only one excited for that Flowers In The Attic movie? Eh? Sure, it will be on Lifetime but it can't be any worse than the 1987 movie. I spent the whole movie screaming "that's not the way it happened in the book" at my TV.
Flag
Me too! So excited about the movie but also nervous it'll be like the 1987 movie....
Flag
They need to stop with this re-imagining Oz stuff. There are re-imaginings in the forms of books, comics, mini series, movies, games. I love Oz but you can't add too much more to that story that hasn't already been done.
Flag
I was bummed about Sunny until I realized there's still two seasons left to air...so that takes some of the sting away.

Jason Momoa is always welcome on my screen...loved him on GoT of course but he was also one of my favorites on Stargate: Atlantis.
Flag
Ironically enough it was Seth MacFarlene who said he doesn't think a show should go beyond 7 seasons, and I agree with him. I can't think of a show who retained it's quality or didn't completely start sucking after that time. Always Sunny was one show that was almost an exception, but nonetheless I'm glad to see it go on somewhat of a strong note.
Flag
NOOOO ALWAYS SUNNY!!!, AHHHHHHH!!!, I'm ok, I'm ok, I'm calming down, no, here come the tears again, AAAHHHHHHH!!
Flag
Oh my. SyFy doing the Wizard Of Oz? They should've merged it with Sharknado 2. We could've had Dorothy fighting with an Oxygen tank.
Flag
SyFy re-imagined Oz a few years ago. It was called 'Tin Man'. Very underrated. I'd have loved to have the Sharknado swallow the most recent Oz movie.
Flag
I know about Tin Man. :P I think my joke flew over your head.
Flag
Didn't they recently cast someone for Joel from Parenthood to cheat with? Things are not looking good for them because we all know how that show is!

Also is Kris Humphires playing himself or is an actor now?
Flag
Also is Kris Humphires playing himself or is an actor now?

Neither, he's so wooden he can't even play himself. He'll be appearing as a barking dog. Ugh. Just when I thought Mindy Project might be an OK show to watch, this happens. *puke*
Flag
I do like the MIndy Project so I'm going to give this a chance! I do think it's going to be stupid though.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members