Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXX (Returning January 14th, 2015)

TEN IS ENOUGH NEWS

... Though FX would probably be happy to keep it on the air for 50 seasons, It's Always in Sunny Philadelphia will call it a series after 10 seasons, according to star Glenn Howerton. "There’s a certain point where you wear out your welcome and we don’t want to do that," Howerton told Rolling Stone. "We want to leave them wanting more. We spend a lot of time trying to find new lines to cross. We’re not trying to offend people or gross them out, but we’re looking to surprise them. I think we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, so it’s time to stop. I’m sure there are already a few people who are like, 'Jesus Christ is that show still on? Go away.'" 

I'm totally okay with this, not because I think It's Always Sunny is getting old and running out of ideas, but because I'm excited to see what else these guys (and gal) can do. It's Always Sunny will debut its ninth season in early September on new network FXX, and it's already been renewed for Season 10. [Rolling Stone]

[UPDATE] Howerton says he was misquoted in the magazine and that It's Always Sunny could go on for more than 10 seasons, which is exactly what you're supposed to say when you're under contract. I still think Season 10 will be the show's last.

BUSINESS TIME

... Lifetime has ordered a TV movie adaptation of Flowers in the Attic, that book we all thought was so messed up when we read it in middle school. The story follows a group of four siblings who are abused by their mother after the death of their father. Heather Graham will play the mean old mom, and Ellen Burstyn will take on the role of the grandmother. This is kind of a departure for Lifetime, away from its typical tawdry tales of Elizabeth Taylor and Anna Nicole Smith and other movies starring troubled actresses like Lindsay Lohan. In other words, Lifetime, I hardly know ye! [Deadline Hollywood]

... Is the Cold War the next time period to get over-mined for television? Following FX's Russian-spy-centric The Americans (which is great by the way, you should watch it), ABC is adapting the book Circle of Treason: A CIA Account of Traitor Aldrich Ames and the Men He Betrayed as a scripted miniseries called The Assets. The series will look at the Cold War through the eyes of the CIA. [TV Newser]

... CBS.com is embracing the internet and has posted three old series online for free. You can now watch Jericho, Wolf Lake, and Swingtown on the site. Jericho is a post-apocalyptic drama, Wolf Lake is a drama about a town full of werewolves, and Swingtown is a drama about the swingin' '70s, when wife-swapping was more than just a bad reality show. Do what I did: Open up three browser windows and play them all at once for a drama about werewolves who swap partners in a post-apocalyptic world. [CBS via press release]

... ABC is also developing Lawless, from Mistresses executive producer KJ Steinberg. The drama is loosely based on the life of a former trucker who went to law school to provide free legal services to victims of domestic abuse in rural areas. Shonda Rhimes is on board as a producer. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Duck Dynasty and all of its beards, plus the new guy who doesn't have one, will return for Season 4 on August 14. [A&E via press release]

... Syfy is developing a new take on The Wizard of Oz, with director Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) moving the tale to a post-apocalyptic world. In Timur's version (Bekmambetov was too long to type—d'oh!), a warrior from present-day Earth is transported to a future Oz, where he teams up with three warriors named Heartless, Brainless, and Coward. No word on whether it will match up with a Pink Floyd album, but you should still probably take drugs to ensure it makes sense. [The Wrap]

CASTING NEWS

... Fox's mini event or limited series or miniseries or whatever it is Wayward Pines has cast former Iron Man abandoner Terrence Howard. Wayward Pines, produced by M. Night Shyamalan, tells the story of a mysterious town... where nothing is as it seems! Howard will play the town sheriff, who gets his feelings hurt when a government agent (Matt Dillon) shows up looking for a pair of missing colleagues. Carla Gugino, Melissa Leo, and Toby Jones are also scheduled to star. [TV Line]

... Sundance Channel has cast Game of Thrones' Jason Momoa in the series The Red Road. Momoa, who played Khal Drogo in the HBO fantasy series, will play a member of an Indian tribe in the drama about a sheriff who must keep the peace between two communities. [Sundance via press release]

... Alias's David Anders will guest-star on an upcoming episode of Criminal Minds. And if you guessed that he'd be playing one sick f*ck, then you're right. I mean, this guy couldn't play a good guy, right? He looks like one of those guys who might be kinda nice, but who you have reservations about, and then next thing you know, your friend goes out on a date with him and ends up chopped into pieces and buried under a construction site. Anders will play a serial killer who lobotomizes his victims. He'll appear in the third episode of the upcoming season. [TV Line]

... The Office's David Denman will appear in the fifth season of Parenthood. He'll play Ed, a stay-at-home dad who runs into Julia while volunteering at their kids' school. [E! Online]

... Once Upon a Time's Robin Hood is coming back, but the man who played him is not. Tom Ellis originally played the part in the series, but because he's unavailable, the role has been recast with Sean Maguire in the green tights. Maguire played the lead in Krod Mandoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire and also appeared in EastEnders and Bedlam. [TV Line]

... Kris Humphries will guest-star on The Mindy Project next season. Humphries is the guy who was briefly married to Kim Kardashian in 2010, making us forever forget that he's actually an NBA basketball player. [TV Guide]

46 Comments
Follow this Show
Members