It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Wednesday 10:00 PM on FXX Premiered Aug 04, 2005 In Season

Gino24

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Fan Reviews (134)

• Top Shows - Consistent, crazy, morbid, black comedy

Mostly 8 seasons (05-14)
  • The show Sucks Balls ..

Don't get me wrong there's been some funny situations but even in the most hilarious situations they get into they somehow manage to make it not funny if it wasn't for Danny devito this shit would be cancelled ERIC ANDRE show is the funniest show on television as of right now
  • wild card bitches!

hands down the funniest television show i have ever watched. A brilliant cast and hilarious scenarios makes this the greatest TV comedy of all time. that is all.

love i charlie you! (hopefully some of you got my humor behind
  • CharlieCarr is a moron

You're a Cu nt. Just because you dont understand the programme doesnt make it poor. This is a great show because they write things THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN WRITTEN BEFORE! Name me any other show that has had its main characters taken hostage by incestuous brothers? Name another show where they've had a fake funeral for a fake baby. It's always sunny is original and Glenn, the writer, has now written 10 series of great shows. again, name me another comedy writer who has done the same? maybe Larry David. Most comedies have teams of writers all working together to make the show. not with this programme it isnt. It was made by three dudes with their own scripts, their own cameras and their own style whilst most tv programming is made by huge studios or companies, who spend millions on creating terrible shit like 2 broke girls, how i met your mother and Tosh.0. I LOVE ITS ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA. I have seen every episode multiple times. I have also watched every 30 rock, 3rd rock from the sun, seinfeld, curb your enthusiasm, Louis, arrested development, new girl, community, frasier, friends, south park, parks and rec, the office, workaholics, archer and a lot more. I love comedy and this is definately one of my favourites. so you not liking IASIP isn't special, you are not gifted because you dont like it, if anything you are devoid of the humour that you yourself claim that this programme is lacking. Go back to watching Glee and Big bang theory, they are nice and safe. And you should be able to understand the simple, paint-by-numbers comedy style that they present. Asshole.
  • It's Never Funny in Philadelphia

I can start by pointing out how I already know this will be deleted or voted down to oblivion because you people don't like honest reviews. The cult following this attempt at comedy has garnered will turn to me with ire and scorn for saying anything negative about this longstanding "gem".

The thing is, this show just ISN'T funny. Maybe I've been spoiled by ACTUAL funny people, but this shows dark humor fails to deliver every time. Sure, maybe it's forced a chuckle occasionally, but at least 95% of the time, it's just disappointing. I don't find the topics approached by the gang "edgy" or "sensitive," nor is the stance taken ever fresh or creative.

If you're a fan of weak dark humor, and mediocre jokes, dive right in. This show is for you. In all honesty, this show is more for people who have no comedic value, nor understand it. The cast is lackluster with the exclusion of Charlie Day and Danny DeVito, Any attempt to think of what the plot may be falls to quick confusion; the same effect is found if you question how the show remains on television.

tl;dr The show is bad, not dark humor, not funny, very disappointing.

Now that you've read an honest review, thumb me down for disagreeing with you!
  • Its ALWAYS Sunny

If you dont think the show is funny, you probably still think Two and a Half Men is funny. Seeing the seflish, crazy antics of The Gang gets funnier and funnier. Dark humor is my favorite kind of humor so this show works perfectly.
  • Laugh out loud funny

This show gets better and better and this is coming from a Uk Northerner and we're funny as f@ck by birth.
  • It's bad.

Not funny, not creative, annoying, the characters (Minus Charlie Day and Danny DeVito) are extremely annoying and unlikable. Why do people like this show? I will never know, because I watched many episodes of this show, and not a single one made me laugh. Maybe because it's not my kind of humor? Well maybe it's because the show has none.
  • Its always sucky in philidelphia.

This show is not remotely funny. I've watched lots of episodes just to see what ghee hype is about. The actors are not funny, they really need writers and scripts. I wish comedy central would stop running this show. I'm a fan of dumb humor, but this show is missing the humor part. I'm not sure who the show is targeting because I can't find any group that should be interested in this mess. It's just stupid.
  • Hilarious gem

This show is hilarious. It's written by men FOR men. I don't think women get this show. I'd compare it to Monty Python and The Three Stooges, because it differs from other shows in that it doesn't deliver jokes and punchlines but rather each episode is one long joke and its all the crazyness in between that makes the show so funny.
  • One of the few good things on TV nowadays

I almost died laughing watching this show. unfortunately, it's gonna move to some new channel called FXX, and I don't think I get get that channel with my cable service. at least it's on Comedy Central
  • The #1 Sunny Review by the #1 Sunny Fan

Outstanding! This show is the greatest show of this generation! It is about 5 best friends who work in an Irish Bar in Philadelphia called Paddy's Pub. Going through the most outrageous stories ever to be told. I shall break it down as I can only do it. The clever way that they open their episodes by having words on the screen to capture the audience to the setting while having sounds of their bickering, fighting, or whatever illicit activity that they find themselves in will always make us get excited for whatever non-sense that they will drag us into. It's that bone-chilling effect that only they can produce in the openings of television now. Once the text clears you find yourself sucked into "The Gang's" leading arguments. This is where all of the rising action is within the story! Most shows drag it out for half the show before getting to the "good stuff". However, this show get's the audience into the story before the opening credits appear. In every episode, the "Gang" is always left with a situation doesn't unfold before you. You see the outcome of the leading arguments after the opening credits have happened. This leaves the audience with that imagination of whatever they want to believe could have happened during that time frame. And when that opening score hits your ears you feel like you are now entirely within the show. The opening clearly shows what this show is to those who see it. They are not looking for perfection. These guys are not trying to look good for anyone. It's their time they spend in the city of Philadelphia. That's what I see when I watch Rob McElhenney's camera technique towards the many attractions and places in Philly. The music makes you feel like your floating on clouds. For first time viewers, it would seem like a mis-match of song choice with this goofy show. But it delivers that funny -danger lurks in all the good places- sort of feeling that they can only deliver. Once this show starts off you are put into a fast paced movement of jokes and screaming that you will never forget for a lifetime! This show is creative and adds that clever wittiness that people with a strong sense of crazy atmosphere would like to be surrounded by. Some people will definitely find this show offensive, however comically satire they make their jokes seem. This show will also disgust many people, and I'm guessing everyone. But based on what other shows you see on this show has been keeping in pace with towards the young generation. And to keep their targeted viewers entertained, they would have to do the morbid and gory things that they occasionally do. What other shows never did and what they are now trying to do is what Sunny has been champion of their entire time they have been on . They are able to create the outlandish behavior that you see in family Guy, South Park, or whatever else show that has animated antics. The only thing is able to make those things happen in real life. That's what keeps this show going forever. It's what drives the actors to do more. And the best thing about this show in my personal opinion, is that the actors are the writers! That's the best value! The actors Glenn Howerton, Rob McElhenney, and Charlie Day also co-write the scripts together. This makes the show come alive! Other shows will have a big-shot Hollywood actor get paid millions to say a few words that other people have wrote and they get absolutely no recognition. When you watch an episode you feel like this was apart of their lives. You have a sense that these 3 guys all joked about the word "Clown-Baby" before they put it into "Hundred-Dollar Baby". You are given a smile on your face when you watch the bloopers because you feel like that's the actual story behind their lives. No other show in the history of shows that I can think of right now was ever capable of pulling that off. For those people that watched 3 minutes of it and simply wrote it off and went back to their daytime reality show will never be able to think, create, visualize, endure, provoke, belittle, motivate, and entertain like a Sunny fan! I will say that this show has changed through the years. When season 1 started, Rob, Charlie, and Glenn were looking for that "Curb Your Enthusiasm" feel of reality that makes you believe that it happened. So whenever they made a mistake on set, it would not be cut out but embraced as part of the show. If you watch season 1 and 2 you will know exactly what I mean when I say that it went for realistic. Mostly because season 1 and 2 were directed by Dan Attias. Season 2 right off the bat introduced Danny DeVito's character Frank as Dennis and Dee's father. That whole season of 2 was played out as a movie to do these things: 1)Introduce DeVito as Frank Reynolds 2) Set his role towards "the Gang" 3) separate his initial setup from "the Gang" while at the same time keep him close and 4) Continue to be the best show of all time. They did all of this and it really did feel as if you were watching a movie if you watched them together. The show really rose into their place when season 3 started. They basically said "screw the realistic approach", which made them cross into this area in which all of the things they did were goofy and for fun sport while still grasping that down to Earth context. I also love how they never have serious feelings toward one another. You rarely see these guys get serious, angry, or frustrated and if you do 100% of the time it is always played off comically. They may work as a team in most cases that require each of them, but they soon turn against each other as soon as they hit a road bump. They will always try to better themselves by stepping on others to make them feel better. There is also this world where each of them live within their minds that make them socially disconnected from the rest of the normal world. They all feel as if they are superior among every one else (especially Dennis) and will always think they can do other people's jobs a lot better than them. The classic setup that they setup is that Mac is the Brains, Dennis is the Looks, Charlie being the Wildcard, Frank being the Muscle, and Dee being the Useless Chick. In my opinion Mac is the Muscle, Dennis is the Looks, Charlie as the Wildcard, Frank as the Brains, and of course Sweet Dee as the Useless Chick. These guys deliver comedy gold, and are the Seinfeld of this generation and (like Seinfeld) the next generations to come. I have given this show a perfect 10/10 look at what I wrote! This show lacks nothing that it needs and has built a steady fan base that targets different fans of different tastes. This show will never die and is to me "The Greatest Show Of All Time"! Greenman! ~Uchima
  • Longest Running Comedy?

Is this the the longest running comedy on television right now? I mean the simpsons has been on forever but it's not that funny anymore. Always Sunny has been killing it year after year and it's still hilarious. ALl the FX shows are (except charlies sheens show). But Louie, Archer and that new show Legit are hilarious. if anyone wants to see what fx's new show is about i put a link below. But anyway, ya Always Sunny is probably the best example of how a cable comedy can outlast and out perform any of its network rivals

• Turn off your brain and laugh.

It's rare that I laugh out loud when I'm watching a TV show but this show has the zaniest of antics that I can't help but laugh out loud. Dennis complaining that he was rear ended in his vehicle while eating a bowl of cereal!? It's normal and ridiculous at the same time! Almost a 'real life' Family Guy.
  • watching this for him

I giving this a try for my partner but this shit is flat out STUPID!!!
  • Always Great for a Laugh

This show has always been able to deliver a good laugh. I've never been disappointed with an episode. The episodes can stand on their own, which is nice to see in a TV series, even though watching previous episodes may make certain situations even funnier.
  • Too much

I enjoy the show for the most part, I just wish they wouldn't go too far every now and then. It's just disgusting and gross. Too bad they think they couldn't go without.

• Consistent tv

Love it or hate it, IASIP is extremely consistent. Week to week, season to season, the deliver fast paced comedy. A very dark show about some of the most selfish people in the world (where everyone involved in writing is probably going to hell) is also one of the funniest. Many people will say that's its just yelling, which to some extent is true, but it's clever yelling.

Give the show a few episodes so that you can adjust your morals to find it funny and not terrible. It is just a TV show after all.
  • Overated.

WTF? One of the worst shows on tv.
  • starts out great but gets stale after a while

5.5
    i got into this show late and have made it to season 4 sofar and then stopped watching.

it starts out great and i love the addition of danny de vito,yet somewhere around season 3 i found myself starting to dislike most of the characters.

what started out as very self-centered people evolved into plain stupid people with little charm about them .

• Hilarious

I love Sunny. It's great.
  • I LAUGH MY FACE OFF!

If there is one show that is nothing like those sitcom american comedies (those audience laughters, What the heck?), which force you to laugh to the show (and if it appeals to such a thing, it is definetly because it lacks humor, or interest). Well folks, that's not It's Always Sunny In Philadelfia, that's one great dark humor show, that will never disappoint you.

The characters are so credible, that you believe, and so human, that you see yourself in it.

It's like Rumi used to say, humor is one of the finest way of learning about ourselves.

And I gotta say this show is critic, critic to it's soul, and incredibly funny, otherwise I wouldn't be laughing my ass out! ahaahhaha

Thank You phii!
  • Television audiences show their true and white-trash leanings.

Lord, this is easily one of the most patronizing shows on television. I would never catch any of it if it wasn't on late night between two other good shows. Apparently the fans of this show are the same as that "Bob's Burgers" debacle. This so-called "humor" caters only to the lowest common denominator. Sad...

• Love this show

Finally a comedy that doesn't suck!!.. I was a little disappointed with the last season but i'm sure it's going to be better :D
  • Philedelphia

Philedelphia is my favorite show, under Futurama, it is about a group of people who own a bar, Paddys Pub. It follows there every day life problems.It is...

Funny 9.5/10

Creative 9/10

It is very funny.
  • Great departure from logic

Scroll up to the shows picture and back down to here. See that picture of the grown adults doing the stereotypical "artistic" photo shoot while dressed in a sunny yellow. Take the comedy of that picture and add a full lack of morality and logic while burning all common sense into cinders. It's that funny.
  • Personnaly my favorite show

Good use of comedy...id probably say they use stupid and smart comedy at there best...although sometimes they might step over the boundery but over and all its a great show...love dennis reynolds character...great acting by Howerton
  • lethal weapon 5!!!

=] i remember watching this show, i still do, this show is awesome!!!!! everyone on the show is so hilarious, i love how most of their situations always end badly for them. if you hate this show, that's fine, but i'm unclear about what makes you think this show isn't funny because its hilarious!!!
  • The mastermind(s) behind this show are ridiculously talented. They somehow make you care about these self absorbed, crass, often crazy characters who put themselves in the most insane (& awesome) situations.

The show revolves around 4 members of "the gang", Mac, Dennis, Charlie, and Dennis' twin sister Dee. During season two, Frank Reynolds, Dee and Dennis' father is introduced, which made the show complete. (Had Frank been there from the beginning I'd give this show a perfect 10)

It's not like there's necessarily plot arcs in the show per se, but there is continuity and things that'll pop up randomly and also recurring characters like The Waitress and Rickety Cricket.

When you watch from the beginning, it's funny how this show makes you care about the characters and their bonds with each other even though they often betray, manipulate, and even often inflict physical and mental pain on each other throughout the course of the series, to each one's personal benefit. But this is a dark comedy so if you're looking for deep character development and meaningful epiphanies in your comedy..look elsewhere.

It's definitely an acquired taste, but if you're into seeing what normal sitcoms don't show, Always Sunny is for you.

Even halfway through it's 7th season, IASIP continues to deliver strong plots for it's characters with great acting. Props to Rob Mchelleny, Charlie Day and Glenn Howerton. Also Kailtin Olson and Danny Devito are amazing in their roles, continue the great work, guys. Can't wait for seasons 8, 9 & hopefully more!

"How do you catch a cricket? With a Giant bird!"

• Are these reviews for real? Im sorry but this show just isnt funny.

Watched series one of this show on the back of the wonderful reviews on here, but what a let down.

I love comedy series' and the plot of this show about a group of people who own their own bar in Philly and the exploits that involves sounded great but sadly it just isnt particularly funny, no matter how hard they are clearly trying. On top of that the stories just weren't entertaining i couldnt really attach to any of the characters. In terms of laugh out loud comedies this isn't anywhere the same league as californication or entourage sadly :(