IGAS - Memorable Moments

Letterpeople74

[1]May 12, 2006
    • level: 9

I'm a little shocked that there is no thread yet for this great classic game show.

One of my personal favorites is where Paul Newman was the guest, and his secret was that he had sold Henry Morgan a hot dog at a baseball game. He was dressed as a vendor, and Mr. Morgan didn't recognize him. I wonder if Mr. Newman still has the still photograph that was used to prove this secret.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

map586

[2]May 12, 2006
    • level: 7
    I'm surprised as well there is no thread for this show.  I'm also kind of surprised there is no thread for the new version on GSN. (Weekdays 11:30 p.m.)  That moment you mentioned was memorable and I really liked the moment where they had the guy that was at the theater when Lincoln was assasinated.

Letterpeople74

[3]May 12, 2006
    • level: 9

I think that's part of the charm of the classic game shows, all the history that was captured.

There was one episode (I know I have it on tape somewhere, but I haven't gotten around to organizing things yet) where the panel was given dummies that resembled them, and they had to ask their questions using the dummies. I wrote to Betsy Palmer asking if they got to keep these dolls, but she said that she didn't even remember the bit, so I assume that they did not.

I also asked Ms. Palmer if their footprints were still in cement up in Canada. She wasn't sure. I've tried researching it, but have come up with nothing so far.

tallactor

[4]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 11
    If the episode guide I found on another site (The Goodson-Todman Big 4 Game Show Index) is correct, and the episodes are played in the order originally shown, the show which will play early tomorrow morning (February 16, 200 is one that I distinctly remember watching when it was originally aired. I was all of 6 at the time, but I remember the secret being a group of people whose last names, when sung in the proper order, made up the lyrics of "In the Good Old Summertime." I know I watched the show as a kid, but I don't know why this particular episode, above all others, has stuck in my mind for almost 45 years. In any case, I can't wait to see it and find out how accurate my memory is.
    Edited on 02/15/2008 11:10am

tallactor

[5]Feb 15, 2008
    That last post was supposed to read 2008 for the current year, but it somehow got translated into a smiley face in sunglasses.

ymike673

[6]Feb 15, 2008
    I have been using the same episode guide to date the IGAS episodes. Its mostly been correct but there were some errors concerning the IGAS shows in Sept./Oct. 1962. GSN aired an IGAS with Paul Anka that was not listed in the guide and then the show listed in the guide as 10/1/1962 was actually one week later.

sixtyfivealive

[7]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 13
    tallactor wrote:
    That last post was supposed to read 2008 for the current year, but it somehow got translated into a smiley face in sunglasses.

Yes, whenever you follow a number 8 with a right ) in computer language that's a smiley face.

sixtyfivealive

[8]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 13
    ymike673 wrote:
    I have been using the same episode guide to date the IGAS episodes. Its mostly been correct but there were some errors concerning the IGAS shows in Sept./Oct. 1962. GSN aired an IGAS with Paul Anka that was not listed in the guide and then the show listed in the guide as 10/1/1962 was actually one week later.

I printed a list of IGAS episodes from some website 2 or 3 years ago and was pretty much going on that as well. I tried to find some link to that website but was unsuccessful, it might have been the same one you've used. The only way i've kept a more accurate account of the episodes and their dates is listening to Garry at the end of the episodes, about 50 percent of the time he announces the next week's guest or if a specific panelist is going on vacation. Also a few of his guests' secrets are something they did that day or week, giving another clue to the exact week the episode actually aired.

tallactor

[9]Feb 15, 2008
    The site I used is found at http://www.kinescopes.com/IGAS.html. I referenced the most recent two episodes that have been shown on GSN, but of course I'm relying on the dates the site gives. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the site, but it seems to be based on pretty extensive research.

puzzlingpixie

[10]Mar 29, 2008
    • level: 12
    I really liked the episode where the girls are wearing swim suits with skirts, mostly because this leads to a very funny scene in which Bess is 'arguing a case' and says she won't gain unfair advantage over Henry by taking off her skirt (she then gives a charmingly funny wink to Henry) . After she is done arguing her case, Gary politely points out she accidentally argued the case for the wrong side. After realizng her mistake Bess says something along the lines of, "oh, in that case" and whips off her skirt to reveal her legs (she is wearing swimsuit bottoms on underneath). I thought it was so out of character for Bess (as she normally seems far more reserved), however it was amazingly funny and fun.

ymike673

[11]Apr 1, 2008
    Anyone catch the IGAS episode a few days ago in which one of the contestants was Pete Best, the Beatles' drummer before Ringo. Garry and Pete tried to say that he wanted to leave the group which as any Beatles' fan knows is untrue. Pete was canned by the rest of the group for a variety of reasons and was replaced by Ringo.
    Edited on 04/01/2008 11:33am