Jack & Bobby

The WB (ended 2005)

Jack & Bobby Fan Reviews (54)

• Personally I believe that Jack and Bobby should be brought back to TV. I knew many who watched it, and I myself watched it everyday.

Today I was flipping through the channels on my TV when I started to think of all the "good" shows that use to be on TV. It hit me when I thought about Jack and Bobby, I was completely devestated when it was taken off the air. I loved to watch it with my father in the living room of our apartment when he would come home at night from work, he absolutely loved it as much as I did. Personally I think that it was a very good show, and yes it may have had some content that other did not like but who cares, they have the remote and they know how to change the channel its not that hard. Personally I believe that Jack and Bobby should be brought back to television. Thank you.
  • A look at the early life of a future US president.

Too intelligent, too good, bad scheduling ??

I don't know what caused this series to be cancelled after only one season, but what a season it was.

Brilliantly written and acted, this is a true gem in television history. Unfortunately, it was not recognised as such at the time and it was cancelled, too realy, too soon!!

Clever juxtaposing of current and future events in the lives of our characters made this a special show. The quality of writing made it an excellent show and the actors involved, especially the three leads, made it unforgettable. Matt Long in particular make such an impression that I'm sure he will have a bright future in whatever he decides to do.

Definitely "gone too soon".
  • The show stars two brothers who are very different from one another. Both have the compassion and integrity to become America's future leader, but only one does.

This show was so original than anything I've seen; the characters are well developed and each play key essentials to the show. The mother is an intellect who wants her children to reach for the stars and then some. The oldest brother Jack, is rebellious to his mother, but inturn does her more proud then he'll ever know, and Bobby is the awkward little guy who finds himself later on to be the greatest president to date.

The show starts very srong and ends even stronger. The series itself was gone too soon and played out more like a mini-series, then an actual series. Jack by far is the greatest hero that I've seen on TV. His values and courage are something every American can look up to, to become in real life. This is my favorite character of all time and his tragic end left me just as heart-broken as the people he touched in the series. Bravo, to the writers and I don't think TV will ever have something as smart and heartfelt as this.
  • Take Jack and Bobby are two bright young brothers growing up under the watchful eye of their eccentric single mother Grace. Grace's personality is a force of nature destined to shape both of these young men's lives and secure one a place in history.

This series was almost perfect and I loved watch the series when it was airing on television. It was funny, emotional and have drama. I thought this series would last long on air but I guess they planned to make only a few episodes and show them on television. Anyway, I was glad I was able to see the series before they ended it. To anyone who might be interested in seeing this series, good luck at finding it but I think it might be around somewhere Jack and Bobby was a really great series even with its flaws, big and small.
  • AMAZING!!

If "greatness is thrust upon us," as Winston Churchill once said, then it stands to reason that those who are destined for greatness are rarely aware of it. Take Jack (newcomer Matthew Long) and Bobby McCallister (Logan Lerman, The Butterfly Effect) for example: two bright young brothers growing up under the watchful eye of their eccentric single mother Grace McCallister (Christine Lahti, Chicago Hope). Grace's personality is a force of nature destined to shape both of these young men's lives and secure one a place in the history books - as President of the United States. personally i beleive that Jack and Bobby should be aired back!! it was one of the best and most meaningful shows i have ever saw!!
  • The story of two brothers, one who would become president after the other one was killed. Sadly, it was cancelled too soon.

I didn't start watching 'Jack & Bobby' right away. It sounded interesting but I never gave it a try. Then one night, mid-season, after Smallville I decided to see what was so good about it. With one episode it drew me in.

It had a great balance between teenage drama, family drama, and an interesting concept of future flash forwards to interviews with the president's friends, family, and affiliates. This allowed us to see where some of the characters would eventually get without knowing when or why, while also telling parallel stories of the two brothers growing up.

Unfortunately, 'J&B' wasn't attracting much of an audience and was cancelled after the 1st season. One good thing about how the show ended was that they actually managed to give closure to most of the story that was developed during the 1st season's run. While it was definitely rushed in the last episode, it still had an emotional impact. Too bad networks don't give shows a chance anymore. If it isn't a runaway hit, toss it aside and copy something that is...

Anyways, it was a very touching show that deserved more than it received.
  • Not too bad...

7.4
    just watched the last episode of this great show and I just needed to know something. Am I the only person who liked it? Luckily... It would seem that I'm not.

Jack and Bobby... The story of two brothers... One who becomes President of the United States of America... And one who should have.

Now, it's great to see that there are those out there who dislike it, debate is always good, but I am so glad it wasn't just me that truly believes this show to be a classic.

Jack and Bobby struck me as though it was going to try to be allegorical to the Kennedey's, hell, they're in the titles, but it simply used that one feature to help viewers connect, and then we were treated to a show that truly lets you know that American TV isn't as dead as Big Brother and Idol would make you think.

Two seasons passed by in the time it would take a normal show to have one, and this is great. Long have I decried the 24-26 episode length seasons that the US seems to prefer. Most shows end up with 10 good episodes and 15 or so of just filler. But Jack and Bobby only had a few portions where it felt as though it was just tacked in. And when they passed you were back to great acting, great surprise actors including J.K. Simmons (Spider-Man, Oz and now Jack and Bobby... Is this man perfect or what?) and many more familiar faces.

This should be required viewing for everyone. Americans, Australians, French people and Chinese folk as well. Truly original stuff is hard to come by these days, but Jack and Bobby is the closest thing to it I've seen in many a year.

I can't give halves on the "vote" but if I could, it would get 9.5 out of 10. Seriously. Don't pass up the chance if you get it. You won't be disappointed.
  • This type of retrospective about a future president and his rise was apparently to much for its time.

I was soo disappointed when this show was canceled. It had real emotions and drama. I was surprised every week when new things were revealed about the brothers and their mother. I am actually happy that they didn't just leave questions unanswered (like Reunion) in their finale. At least it was as complete of a story that the network and audience would allow. It was interesting, all of the politicians and friends of the "president", Bobby talking about him and his brother Jack. This story ended to soon as far as I am concerned, and although it did end somewhat satisfyingly, there are so many places that the story could have gone. It had such potential, and the viewers could not see that. It just goes to show what the mass market is interested in, American Idol (and other "reality" shows) hold rank at the top and the smart toughing dramas, like "Jack and Bobby" get axed way before their prime. It just made me sad...
  • The story of two brothers.

Too bad that this show was cancelled, I really liked this show because it was different from all the other drama shows I've watched. In my opinion, Jack & Bobby's one season was fair enough, I couldn't think what they might do in the second season as the show already showed the leadup to Bobby becoming President of the United States. This show is absolutely inspirational, telling the story of the lives they've led. The music in the end credits added to the inspiration, it made me feel good about myself after I watched it and I recommend the show to anyone who wants to feel motivated.
  • A show about to brothers, one of which will become president. It follows the lives of Jack and Bobby McCallister before one of them becomes president and all the trials and tribulations they go through.

An amazing series, with an amazing cast that had an early demise. This show was an exceptional story that showed how two brothers grow apart and learn bond again. Matt Long is an amazing actor that gave his character, Jack, feel as if we were going through everything right there with him. Logan Lerman as Bobby showed us what it feels like to admire someone and not have them acknowledge them. All in all this was just an influential and impactful show.
  • Jack & Bobby...what can I say?

Jack & Bobby was perhaps the greatest show The WB ever aired. It would look great with a CW logo on it. ;-)

It was the story of two brothers, one of whom would grow up to be president. Through a series of interviews, the viewer learned how the president was shaped by his childhood. Events happening in the present (in the episode) eventually led to many of the president's decisions, which were outlined by the interviews (taken from people that knew the brothers, some of which appeared in the present storyline as well). In the end, Jack and Bobby McAllister would become two great men: each fighting against wrongful imprisonment and a host of other issues. Together, they would be the greatest influences America would ever see. The writers shocked us all by making Bobby, the younger brother, the one who would be president; but Jack would have an equally fullfilling life (after all, it would be he who encouraged Bobby into the political world).

This format of storytelling is unprecedented; it makes me proud to say I watched the show, even if relatively few Americans did. Perhaps the U.S. is not ready for such an intelligent show. This show featured outstanding performances by Christine Lahti, Logan Lerman, and Matt Long; they all deserved emmys, but once again, the emmy snobs discounted any show with The WB or UPN's name on it. Shame.

I was actually watching the finale again, and it just blew me away. I couldn't hold it in: I cried most of the way through, not just because of the wonderful writing and powerful acting but also because this show is...gone. Shame.
  • A TV show about a future president and his brother.

7.2
    Bobby grows up to become a republican president, which probably horrifies their mother who is the worlds most liberal woman, she's even a college professor who has an affair with a grad student. The show was funny and inteligent. They used plot lines that weren't over done or unorigonal. The show did get kind of teenage angsty at some times, but there was a lot of really great stuff going on. I loved the show, because the charecters were mostly inteligent, although Jack and his friends were kind of stupid at most times. Also, please excuse my typos and bad grammer and speling because it is late and I am exaushted.
  • SO sad it was cancelled. it was a very good show that ended way to soon!

Jack and Bobby was one of my favorite television shows till the wb11 didn't pick it up. The stories were good and the actors were amazing. I loved how they would talk about the Bobby's life as it was going on. the show also was filled with lots of drama. Like when Missy got pregant and said it was Jack's but it wasn't. Then Missy die in a car accident in few episodes later. And when jack hurt his leg and may never run again. I just loved this show. This show even got Christine Latti a Golden Globe nomination! Why wouldn't they have brought it back. I wonder when it's coming out on dvd because it would be a good show to add to my collection.
  • How disappointing it is that there are no new episodes of Jack and Bobby being developed. I am truly saddened the series couldn't get the traction it deserved.

Just thinking about how well done the episode, "Lost Boys" where Grace's brother, Jimmy (played by Thomas Cavanagh) is gay and well accepted among all the members of the McCallister family; and one of Jack's old friends' Matt, is gay, has a crush on Jack, then commits suicide is absolutely heartbreaking. Few television episodes are as seriously touching as this one. Cavanagh's flawed but perceptive performance as Jimmy is equally engaging in a episode full of drama. It is nice to see Jimmy challenge Grace during her lecture. His surprise added a great deal of comic relief to an otherwise sad tale. The tears that Jack shed realizing just how tragic Matt's home life must have been, should provide a serious message to parents assessing their role.

I didn't start watching Jack & Bobby right away. It sounded interesting but I never gave it a try. Then one night, mid-season, after Smallville I decided to see what was so good about it. With one episode it drew me in.

It had a great balance between teenage drama, family drama, and an interesting concept of future flashwards to interviews with the president's friends, family, and affiliates. This allowed us to see where some of the characters would eventually get without knowing when or why, while also telling parallel stories of the two brothers growing up.

Unfortunately, J&B wasn't attracting much of an audience and was cancelled after the 1st season. One good thing aobut how the show ended was that they actually managed to give closure to most of the story that was developed during the 1st season's run. While it was definely rushed in the last episode, it still had an emotional impact. Too bad networks don't give shows a chance anymore. If it isn't a runaway hit, toss it aside and copy something that is...

Anyways, it was a very touching show that deserved more than it received.
  • this show had a mother and 2 kids but she wouldn't tell who the kids father was

this show showed how the mother was messed up on drugs and no one knew but her oldest son who tried to stop her. she was smart and taught college while she tried to keep her kids on the right track and off drugs or alcohol. but of course they got in to trouble and things but they all had friends every one helped each other to keep the kids on the right track
  • Jack & Bobby was...

• Jack & Bobby which brother will grow up to be the next President of the United States?

Jack & Bobby was a great show that died cause it reveled a secret that should have remained a secret until the end of the show. I say this cause a lot of my friends when they heard about this show they couldn’t wait and neither could I to see it, but in the first episode they reveled what everyone wanted to debate on the next morning which brother was going to be president and we lost interest in the show. But I continued to watch it and fell in love with the interesting story of these two brothers and how bobby would grow up to be the president of the United States. I really feel they should give the show another chance.
  • =/

Sadly, Jack and Bobby was not appreciated. I guess people did not get the show, whatever. Such a good TV show, that shows some original story, is no sci-fi or fictional, is real, there is someone out there who is going to be the next president: a child. Got cancelled very soon...
  • A very, very, very, good show. Too bad it didn't last.

I don't know how, but after watching 10 min. of a J&B episode I was completely hooked. The characters, the storylines, everything was perfect. The show also has a very strong emotional-vibe like Everwood. Well, although I don't live in the US, I've only managed to see a few episode through download. And I'm very sad The WB decided to cancel the show (althought the ratings did kinda justify it.)
  • PleaSE bring it back.

I thought this was one of the greatest show. It had real life problems in it which i thought made this show great. Like, the kid who was gay and mom didnt except him so he killed himself, and drunk driving, and so many more. Why did they get ruin of it it was so amazing.
  • SHEER BRILLIANCE...Gave me chills every episode!!! The best show the world will never know!!!

I get depressed every time I think about this show being gone! No show has ever touched me the way this one did. I swear, I have NEVER felt like this about any TV program before. EVER. So much so, that I joined this board just to post this because that's how passionate I feel about this show. I would shout it's praises from the rooftops if it would bring it back!

Every single episode gave me CHILLS at the end. Most poignantly, the last episode of all. The twist of Jack being the one to visit their dad in prison---SO WELL DONE. Bobby outrunning Jack at the end of the episode--SHEER BRILLIANCE. Chills, I tell you!!!

To Greg Berlanti: As much as I love Everwood, Jack and Bobby was a TREASURE of epic proportion! You are a creative genius for bringing it to us. I wish you could get another network to pick it up, re-airing all past episodes, and then starting new ones. To Christine Lahti, Logan Lerman, Matt Long, and rest of cast: If you guys ever read this, it breaks my heart that this SUPERB show had to go. It's UNJUST. Just know that the life you all breathed into these characters will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!! :(

Only INTELLECTUAL NINCOMPOOPS wouldn't recognize the exquisiteness of this show and keep it here to stay!!!

If I inspire one person to get their hands on a copy and watch it, then I feel the tiniest measure of vindication that I turned someone on to this MASTERPIECE.

• This show is about a Boy in highschool getting through your average everyday life. You know, getting caught with drugs at school, a best friend who leaves you for the \"in crowd\" everyday stuff. If you haven\'t watched this then you should really try.

This was one of my favorite show, even though im only 14. I loved this show, it had things to do with real life, like with his mom smoking and his brothers girlfriend. Its something that alot of teens can relate to and hopefully we will see a season two.
  • Has started recommending it to my friends and family only to realize that our local tv network has stopped its telecast...

i've been watching it since it was first shown and it has been my bestfriend and buddy every saturday night. i must be home early to watch it and get to the point of annoying the people at home whenever they change it to other shows. it was so devastating to realize that it has ended. i hate you all who ended the show!!! it was definitely one of the best tv concept --- a handsome, feel-good and INTELLIGENT tv show!!!!
  • Why

You ended this show, this show was great. It was really good. Whoever ended this show, I'm going to get you someday. I never really got to see all the episodes, but after reading the episodes of this show, it seemed really good. Why Warner Bros., why? Bring it back.
  • Bring it Back

Sorry to say that Jack & Bobby is probably gone for good. Rarely do shows ever make the return to tv after being picked up for a season then cancelled. (I don't see this show getting a resurgance on adult swim like family guy)

I couldn't believe it when I heard the show was going to be cancelled. I guess the rating were tanking, but it was more of a time slot problem then the show's premise. I mean Wednesday is a death trap for shows since LOST has come on the air. (don't want to bash LOST, love the show)

Anyway I, along with many other apparently, will miss Jack and Bobby. At least you learned what pushed Bobby into politics in the future.
  • Jack and Bobby was about 2 brothers and 1 was destined to be president...

Jack and Bobby was about 2 brothers and 1 was destined to be president. This show was an emotional dramatic show about the 2 brothers growing up without a father and still living their lives... this show was very under-rated and was cancelled at the end of first season. this show should have been givin a second chance.
  • I absolutely loved this show. I thought it had a special feel to it that has been lost with all the reality TV.

This was a an excellent family show. Enjoyed watching it every chance I had. My wife and I were discussing television today and how overrun it is with reality shows. This show was fresh and diferent from anything else. It had various points of view and was not biased to any one particular lifestyle or belief. The WB is watched 90% of the time in my house and will continue to be watched; but "Jack and Bobby" will be missed. I would like to see this show come back. I know it is doubtful that shows make a return. If "Family Guy" can do it; then anything can.
  • Never Given a Chance

I do believe that if this show were given at least another half season, it really could have taken off. It was on at the wrong time against Lost, and because of that so many people missed out on a truly amazing sleeper hit. This show had a lot to do with the world we live in; death, drugs, family, politics, on and on .... To think that this show fell because of ratings sickens me. There are so many shows out there that continue to get picked up and they're crap. WB lost its best drama.
  • Shame on americans everywhere for not watching this great t.v show and by that getting it cancelled. BRING IT BACK !!

This show was just great. It\'s hard to put it into words, but I\'ll give it a try. The acting was very very good, the plot itself was genius, the flashforwards were awesome. The final episode was very sad, when we learn how Jack will be killed, but very worth watching. This show is one of my all-time favourites ! Please bring it back !
< 1 2