JAG

Capital Crime

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jan 08, 2002 on CBS

• A wonderful story about Mac and Harm on opposite sides of the world.

"Capital Crimes" is a wonderful episode. Mac finally admits out loud her love for Harm and as a result gains a closer friend. Mac discovers 30 kilo of weapons grade material is in the hands of Muslim extremists and without busting the JAG budget. Between her psychic abilities, her mastery of multiple languages, and using the telephone she discovers something isn't right in Russia. The pieces fall into place and a Seal team takes care of the rest.

Harm teaches us there are mishaps from which to learn and those to prosecute. The on-board JAG of the Patrick Henry wants to convene article 32 hearings for the crew and the Captain. Since the JAC officer is under the command of the ship's Captain, Harm comes on-board with a higher command authority; one that can bring charges against the ship's Captain, if necessary. Harm starts his investigation from scratch and ends up obtaining information the ship board JAG office didn't obtain (ask or seek). Every crew member and even the Captain are willing to take the blame, even though it means the end of their career and possible brig time. Harm determines there isn't enough evidence against anyone and no one is blaming anyone else. His report declines to proceed to charges, but instead the Navy and the Patrick Henry’s crew should consider it learning accident.
  • Mac saying 'I'm in love with him', not exactly a secret to those amongst us who've watched JAG from the beginning, but...

The tension between Mac and Harm ever since the first episode of season 7 was pretty intense. It was painful to see how Mac, when she went to Harm after Brumby left, he couldn't be there for her due to Renee's dad's death, and how lonely and confused she felt - understandably - which made her want to get away for a while. It was even more painful to see in 'The Measure of Men' how Harm tried to talk to Mac, when she wasn't ready yet, and how on 'Jag-a-thon' again they couldn't find a way to resolve thing between them, to make it work! I'm wondering though, why after Mac lets ‘it’ slip to Sturgis that it never comes up again! I was expecting that due to Harm and Sturgis close friendship back then at some point Sturgis would tell...and after watching the series finale I think the writers should have worked that in somewhere, considering that Mac never ever - not even when Harm proposes and confesses his love to her, something he never said to another woman - tells Harm that she loves him (except in 'Lifeline') though we have heard her saying it to Brumby and Webb, men she never were as close to as Harm. I never really doubted that Mac did love Harm, until season 9. Her relationship with Webb had me really tripping...that's why I really needed her to say it to Harm at least in the finale! It wasn’t a satisfying ending to their journey in quite a few ways…after showing as how close Mac came to Webb the writers should have really cleared all doubts from our minds concerning Mac's feelings for Harm, whether she feels the same way about him as he does for her. Sadly, they didn't...