Coming Home

Aired Friday 9:00 PM May 07, 2004 on CBS

• Support our troops, bring them home

"Observe good faith and justice towards all Nations; cultivate peace and harmony with all ... The great rule of conduct for us, in regard to foreign nations, is, in extending our commercial relations, to have with them as little political connection as possible ... warn against the mischiefs of foreign intrigue ... guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism."

-- George Washington, in his Farewell Address, 1795

Ron Paul 2012

• This episode hits even closer to home now that my brother is getting ready to head out for his second tour of duty overseas.

This episode definitely brought tears to my eyes. It hits even closer to home now that my brother is getting ready to head out for his second tour of duty overseas. The cast and crew did an excellent job with this episode - it showed the emotions that a family will go through as they find out about the death of their loved one. It also shows exactly what the family of a fallen soldier goes through as they begin the grieving and healing process. One of the best things I liked about this episode is that the soldier's family and friends were able to share happy storys about Smithfield. Definitely a fantastic episode. One I will watch over and over again - with lots of Kleenex of course!
  • This episode dealt with three plots...the death of a Marine and his journey home, the second an investigation into vests worn by soldiers and Marines in Iraq...and the mission by that Marine's platoon to avenge the ambush that killed him.

As a huge JAG fan and as a veteran, I enjoy the military storylines and how the episodes tie together, but this one got to me. I'm not ashamed to say that tears flowed while watching this. No one, NO ONE, should ever have to receive a visit from Casualty Branch, but death is a part of war... a fact that can't be changed. The personal nature of PFC Joe Smithfield's journey from battlefield to Arlington is heartbreaking and stunningly realistic, and will leave you with a appreciation for those involved in the bereavement cycle. Harm is in fine character as he helps Joe's mother through several difficult tasks, but watch for Mattie...her role in this episode takes on a new light. The plot that investigates the vests is smaller yet just as important, dealing with not only the generic problems with the vest, but why Smithfield's vest failed. The third plot began with the attack that Smithfield died in and ended with those responsible being caught. The scene that is tear inducing is at the end, and that I won't spoil. Bravo to Donald P. Bellisario.
  • Very entertaining.

After a marine gets killed in Iraq, Harm helps the mother of the marine grieve in privacy protected from the reporters finding ways of making a marine's death sensational. Mac and Budd are assigned to investigate the effective of the vests worn by the marines in Iraq. This episode takes issues from the headlines. This episode was entertaining, I surely enjoyed watching this one. This is what JAG is all about. The political angle of the story is done in a tasteful manner, it's done with relevance to the plot and not a mere statement. The writers did a good episode.