JAG

Retrial

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Oct 15, 2004 on CBS

• Good episode except for the "aussie"!

I enjoyed this episode except for the actress who was supposed to be an Australian from Brisbane.I cringed with embarrassment at her accent. My goodness, surely there are enough Aussie actors in Hollywood that one could have been chosen for this part! American actors CANNOT do Australian accents!

• For the record: AUSTRALIANS DO NOT SPEAK LIKE THAT!!!

5.2
    Okay, this episode was fine, but I just cringed all the way through it when the supposedly 'Australian' wife of the bigamist opened her mouth.

I would like to say for the record, in defence of my country, that we DO NOT speak like that. For some reason, American actors attempting the Australian accent have a tendency to do something which sounds like it is spoken in a particularly backwards corner of Mars.

To be fair to the actress, she is not alone and I suppose I can understand to a degree that she's not going to go to a huge lot of trouble to learn what may be a difficult twang when it is only for a small guest role in one episode of a show. More prominent actors in movies and shows such as Lost have no such excuse for mangling the dialect.

And while I'm at it, the producers of The Amazing Race might have liked to make themselves more aware of the 'real' Australian accent, as opposed to the 'imagined' one they think they know in Hollywood, before filming the Australian episodes the other season. Some of those helpful 'locals' sounded mighty suspicious to my ears, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought it was a bit strange.

Okay, rant over.