Jake in Progress

The Lying, The Watch and Jake's Wardrobe

Aired Monday 9:30 PM Jan 09, 2006 on ABC

6.6
  • meh... ugh

Is it the same show? Not sure.
    I wasn’t a big fan of the first season. Even so it was a nice show, it had a different vibe and I stuck with it. Now here comes the second season. My guess is the show was close to being cancelled and the network gave it a second chance but ordered that some changes. And I mean changes. Just doesn’t feel right. Where is Brooke? The writers were on the right path. Their were slowly building an interesting relationship between the two characters. Now she’s gone. Not a word about her. So in comes Annie. Its boring. The “ex” angle has been done to death. And worst of all there wasn’t a joke that worked. Only Patrick brought some laughs. So my guess is the show is over. They might show one or two more episodes but I doubt it will live past that. Even Jake’s hotel room seems different. There’s like a whole new style and it just doesn’t work. So long Jake.
  • Jake in Progress, once so fresh and original, has joined the rest of the derivative, cliched sitcoms. LAME episode.

Long-time viewer, first-time poster. Loved Jake in Progress last season. Funny, quirky, great chemistry between Jake and "Butterfly" girl.

This season, she has completely disappeared w/ no explanation. A history of being dumped at his wedding several years ago comes out of nowhere, most likely so that his ex can be brought on as a regular, a love-interest. How is she different than the other women he dates (excluding Butterfly)? She's not. If anything, she is more negative and superficial, putting down his choice of mates, his furnishings. Why would he have been w/ this girl? When he calls her, she is busy shopping, just like every other beautiful woman in America. Cuz that's the only thing they do, right? Couldn't the writers come up with some sort of fresh personality for this character? It seems like they should stick with the formula of dating beautiful, bland women but irrisistably falling for a different, quirky, but charming woman. Annie is no different at all.

JIP went from being quirky, funny, and original to being derivitive, cliched, and lame in one episode. My wife and I are going to give it one more week then drop it if it stays the same.